Stop the Drop

irishfield

For those that didn't believe any of us locals when we tried to say it was a 10 to 12 year cycle, I think it might be time for Picnic Island to take the Stop the Drop banner off the gas dock office before the wake waves are coming up through the floor board cracks like they use to about 25 years ago!

Now everyone is going to be complaining the water is too high and their docks are floating off cribs. Strange though cruising GBay with no "water line" marks showing on the rocks.

Edited by irishfield

It is weird out there navigating though bigbuck. Flat calm today, the tell tale rocks and ripples well under water from the past 5 or more years of water levels. Puts you back on your game I can tell you that!

Edited by irishfield

I wouldnt be calling the water levels anywhere close to what they were in the 80's but they are pretty close to average now which is fine.

I know a lot of folks were calling us cry babies etc, but let me point out that youd be crying to if all of your main channels of navigation were closing up and all of your local marinas didnt have water access anymore.

4 years ago I literally walked around my boat house on dry land and we had to cancel our fishing plans because we couldnt launch the boat off of our marine rail system that stuck an extra 30 feet out off the end of the boathouse.

Id also make a point of saying that travelling in high water is much easier than low water, yes a lot of stuff is now hidden again, but when the water was low we were hitting stuff that was pretty much dead in the charted navigation lines...not pretty at all.

What is there to cry about? If it's cyclic, and it is, levels will be restored naturally and the low levels should be just as expected as high. I won't be posting signs if we have a mild winter or if we get too much snow. Low water on Gbay is a non-permanent inconvenience of boating there.