BIG trolling cranks for musky

mike rousseau

Hey everyone..

Looking for a few large (over 10") trolling baits for musky...

And more importantly where can I get them?

Id LOVE to find a larger version of a "drifter stalker" or Wiley looking lure...

Also considering a 14" Jake... The 13" grandmas didn't work for me but 10" Jakes do good here so maybe the 14" Jake will work...

I'd also love to know what works for you personally... Nice to steal a bit of your confidence when your looking at lures $50-$150 each! Lol

Thanks

Mike

I did well with a 13" jointed Believer in Walleye color Mike, but don't know how it would work out your way.

Other than that bait I didn't use too many of the bigger trolling lures and seldom went bigger than 10"

I own a wishmaster muskie lure that I won many years back.....

but these things are so nice, it's tough to put them in the water....

I trolled in on Erie once, near the mouth of the Niagara River, where the bottom was pretty uniform.

Talk about a lure that's no longer made and cost a fortune...

Rub it in why don't ya... Lol

Have you tried looking at what is available on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muskalunch-Giant-Wood-Musky-Lure-/141800139539?hash=item2103f26b13:g:rJwAAOSw~bFWGDyR

You might need a big motor to troll that one!

Lol

2 feet long!

eBay is tricky without names of lures to search...

That's what I'm looking for... Lure names

I love trolling big baits. Definitely not only just for fall. They're deadly in the summer too. My top 3 bigs are:

Plow: they get down there with minimal line out, they're durable (I like crashing bottom with them), they hook dirty, and fish love em

14" Jake: wide wobble, especially good for late fall speeds, get the ones with the ball bearing rattles.

13" Believer Straight : nothing swims like a believer, giant belly roll and wide wobble, plus you can really get them down, they almost never hang up, and when they do, open the bail and they back out of trouble

Found a 10" hooker used for $55 CAN shipped last night... These baits have a nice large profile... So I bought it to try...

Also found a wick onez bait but oh man they're pricey for basically a fancy Jake..

I'm really leaning towards a 14" Jake because I love the 10" jake and have caught a lot of fish on them...

Biggest issue with these larger bait it's picking a color... I don't want 5x 14" Jakes... Lol

Thanks for all the input so far everyone... At least I have some names to keep an eye out for

the big hookers are proven fish catchers

as mentioned, hard to go wrong with 14" jakes, 13" grandmas and the big believers in the 'mass produced' segment of muskie baits.

for the expensive 'customs' you're paying extra for a bait that will last you a lot longer than the above mass produced deals.