Woodpecker pic

ketchenany

I have been "dealing" with those little peckers for a couple of years now. They love to peck away at the sides of my house and sharpen their beaks on my roof flashing.

Tossing rocks at them only gets them to move for a bit, rattling a rock from my sling shot at foot or two away from them gets them to look elsewhere for a bit.

Pretty bird, but also quite the pest!

HH

I once witnessed a woodpecker hammering away on a metal road sign, it made a very cool sound, and loud as hell. My guess was that it was a way of communicating, claiming a territory perhaps. Those columns appear hollow, maybe they resonate really well and that bird discovered that it sounds better than a real tree?

Those posts are made of what?

Looks like non wood.

What are they after!

Even if they are wood there aren't likely bugs in the wood

What did I say above..it's a territorial thing, my pecker makes more noise than your pecker, metal objects, like stove pipes, amplify that.

Now for the why: Male woodpeckers are not drilling for insect food, but calling for a mate. And the louder, the more important the male, and the better his chance of attracting a lady woodpecker as his mate.

Edited by Fisherman

Yup had one of those earlier in the year, was constantly on the grand kids play set and my tin shed. I tried my best to let nature be, but when i was in the shed working and he wouldnt go away one day. I lost it ..12 guage solved him.