NF: need advice: shipping heavy machinery to US

singingdog

Anybody with experience selling/shipping machinery across the border? I am on the board of a not-for-profit ski association. We have an older Pisten Bully that we are trying to sell. We have a potential buyer in New Hampshire, that wants us to ship it to him at our cost. We have no expertise in this area, consequently no idea about shipping cost, brokerage cost.....Can anyone help: advice, or directions to good advice would be much appreciated.

I had to look it up to see what it was! No idea what the cost would be, how wide is the thing? Looks like it might be a flat bed only load? maybe too heavy for a hot shot load?

If it is wider than... 102 inches? extra costs maybe involved? It might be better to take some time and try to sell it in your area? No idea on value vs shipping costs.

If it's wider than 12ft you will need a wide load permit which is more expensive than usual. Take the tracks off and see if you can get the width down. Check all wide load regulations for the provinces/states it's going through. Also make sure you're not shipping during half-load season which means you're paying double.

Looks like it's pretty light though, meaning you'll pay for a partial load if you get lucky.

I would contact traffictech, brokers I do business with. They're awesome. They can sift through all the Bull for you.

Also consider working through an escrow agency unless you trust the buyer.

Anybody with experience selling/shipping machinery across the border? I am on the board of a not-for-profit ski association. We have an older Pisten Bully that we are trying to sell. We have a potential buyer in New Hampshire, that wants us to ship it to him at our cost. We have no expertise in this area, consequently no idea about shipping cost, brokerage cost.....Can anyone help: advice, or directions to good advice would be much appreciated.

If you can get me the dimensions of the crate and the weight I can tell you what you should be paying for trucking.

Brokerage gets tricky, to do it legally you need to file a power of attorney and third party waiver in order for someone to clear it on your behalf. I might be able to help you out with that.

Let me know (here or in a PM)

Source: 20 years in the trucking/logistics business....

If it's wider than 12ft you will need a wide load permit which is more expensive than usual. Take the tracks off and see if you can get the width down. Check all wide load regulations for the provinces/states it's going through. Also make sure you're not shipping during half-load season which means you're paying double.

Looks like it's pretty light though, meaning you'll pay for a partial load if you get lucky.

I would contact traffictech, brokers I do business with. They're awesome. They can sift through all the Bull for you.

Also consider working through an escrow agency unless you trust the buyer.

Sterling, I work for a Traffic Tech competitor. If you ever want a rate on anything (even just to keep them honest), let me know.

Dutch

Call a trucking company tell them what you have, weight and dimensions, and ask how much to ship it.

Its the recievers problem to look after brokers and duties.

Same as when you order something on line from the US, you gotta take care of getting it across the border