How Fast Does Your Boat Go ?

Mister G

welll,,,,, ya know... the thought of stretching out here,,,, one eye on the rigger, coffee cup resting on the seat next to me....of course you're the Captain so you would have to be at the helm..... I mean come on... the sylvan's nice, but this is CLASS.. :whistling:

but seriously - awesome set up for Sean

You mean like this Rick??????

2DFA4816-380A-4086-99C6-868135CBB7E7_zps

@ Brian

With a 3' Al folding ramp, Sean rolls easy from dock to deck & tons of room for maneuverability :) Sure beats the lift set up & tear down as well as limited room on board the Sylvan.

Which BTW is not going anywhere ;)

@ Dave

Yeppir, most of the better mfrs now offer a 3rd toon which runs deeper than the outer toons. Supposedly for improved steering (which I believe is true) as well as improved stability in 'open water' ????

As for the power, I would probably upgrade to a 90 max. Primary need is accessibility but we would see some recreational use as well.

@ Mr. G

Thx for the advice, will definitely consider.

Pikeslayer take a peek at this......E-TEC Pontoon Series

http://www.boattest.com/engine-review/Evinrude/18000072_E-TEC-90-Pontoon-Series_2014

Also available in 65 HP, 115 HP and 150 HP.....

http://www.evinrude.com/en-us/engines/pontoon_engines/etec_65_pontoon

33 mph feels pretty fast in my 15 footer LOL

i can't imagine tickling 60 in a ranger. close to the water and barely any hull touching it.

One word Raf AWESOME. The pad on the 89 ranger was what I fell in love with and why I rebuilt it instead of buying a new one. This was the last year before they changed to a different design and it feels rock solid. The weight of the older boats makes for a solid ride with out flexing when you hit a wake and keeps the pad from rocking on and off when passing thru a wake.

Art

One word Raf AWESOME. The pad on the 89 ranger was what I fell in love with and why I rebuilt it instead of buying a new one. This was the last year before they changed to a different design and it feels rock solid. The weight of the older boats makes for a solid ride with out flexing when you hit a wake and keeps the pad from rocking on and off when passing thru a wake.

Art

....I like that currently in the Lookie stage for one of those to rebuild think it would make a great winter project ..did you remove cap and all Art ?

Yamaha G3 Deep V Angler 17'

Yamaha 90 hp Four Stroke

Stainless prop

70 km/h when alone with no gear

60-65 km/h with riggers, gear, food, ice, etc

It gets up on plane super fast and is plenty good for fishing, but I really want to see how she'd run at the maximum rating of 150 hp for those days when we're boarding and tubing instead of fishing. It's a slug with 4 adults and some gear on board.

Edited by ch312

Ha with those wimpy 'toons.

My neighbour at the cottage owns one of the local marinas. He recently delivered a pontoon to a customer that was a bohoemouth (think pulp fiction). This thing had an 8.1 I/O out back. 496 cubic inch big block pushing 425 hp. This thing was just downright STUPID. It'll go well into the 50s maybe even low 60s. A pontoon boat!!!

Art

I also have an older Ranger. Mine is a '94 with the VS hull that has the built-in 15" setback. It's one hand on the wheel and rock solid at 63 mph.

....I like that currently in the Lookie stage for one of those to rebuild think it would make a great winter project ..did you remove cap and all Art ?

With a Ranger, the cap cannot come off, the only way to replace the transom is to cut the splashwell. To do the stringers, I have no idea.