Ice fishing 2016 Lakers/Whitefish/Walleye

huzzsaba

Yes I know the weather is in the 30s and nobody wants to hear about snow and winter, but in preparations I thought I would get a head start.

Last year I went for some perch fishing on Lake Simcoe. This year I would let to out for some lakers and whitefish. Please recommend some good ice fishing hutson lake simcoe that put you right on the fish.

I also like to know what is the best lures/bait for lakers and whitefish. Does live bait like minnows work? Any particular size for the live bait? What depth do the fish usually stay at during the coldest days? Gotta find a way to mark the line on my ice fishing rod toknow what depth I am fishing at.

It would also be fun to get into some walleye fishing so please recommend someone who has huts on lake erie. Also would like to know what is the best lures/bait for the walleye

Thanks

I have also found ice fishing for anything other then Simcoe perch is a game of numbers. Another reason I don't like huts. Go out, bring three buddies and spread out over as much ice as you can. Set up tip ups, fish as many lines is legal and move as often as you can without tiring out. Finding fish on ice can be haaaaaard work but it is so rewarding when it happens.

I have also found ice fishing for anything other then Simcoe perch is a game of numbers. Another reason I don't like huts. Go out, bring three buddies and spread out over as much ice as you can. Set up tip ups, fish as many lines is legal and move as often as you can without tiring out. Finding fish on ice can be haaaaaard work but it is so rewarding when it happens.

Makes sense but I heard from hut operators that you have to go out pretty far on the ice for lake trout (something like 7-8 kms offshore). Or if there is spot where it gets deep not so far offshore that I can go and setup myself but I doubt that. I don't have a snowmobile so it would have to be walking or car.

Edited by huzzsaba

I had a bunch of success on short walks. Minet point, shanty bay. Simcoe has a lot of deep water close by

Thanks for the info.

That is the reason for starting this thread so early was for so that I can get stuff together ie fish finder, auger, sled and possibly some other little things. it helps to know that I don't have to book huts until maybe later in the season.

Early season - Kempenfelt Bay in Barrie is awesome option for lakers and whities. Quite doable walking distance and pretty decent fishing.

I had a bunch of success on short walks. Minet point, shanty bay. Simcoe has a lot of deep water close by.

It,s not true. Not at all................................ :tease:

If you are up to walking and drilling holes weather in the open or draging out a portable, you will learn much out there. Asking the hows will get you started in the right direction. Just dont ask the wheres. :whistling:

Happy ice drilling. :Gonefishing:

It,s not true. Not at all................................ :tease:

If you are up to walking and drilling holes weather in the open or draging out a portable, you will learn much out there. Asking the hows will get you started in the right direction. Just dont ask the wheres. :whistling:

Happy ice drilling. :Gonefishing:

Agreed that I will learn as I go. Just looking for a starting point. Please PM me if anyone would like to share any specific spot.

Edited by huzzsaba

Things that you for sure need (I will save you the hassle I went through)

1: good ice auger. This is were you spend the money. It will make the difference between punching 3 holes and 30 which can make the difference between catching fish. Spend the money. I like the fin-bore III. Other guys like the sweede bore.

2. For lakers get a ugly stick medium to heavy. You can get one for $20. Spend on a good 1000 series that can hold lots of line. Needs to be durable and survive the cold.

3. Sensitive tip ups. Some people make their own. I like Jaques (trout junkie) the store bought I have found has cost me lots of fish.

4. On simcoe a flasher is a good idea but they are exxxxpensive. I was lucky and got mine for under $200. You will get your fair share of lakers and whitefish bouncing off the bottom but for the hog lakers, they love to chase.

5. For the longer trips, snowshoes and a sled are a good idea. If Brian B goes into production on his smitty sleds those are the best bet.

4 and 5 help but aren't needed. Focus on 1 and 2 for now. Should put you on some fish.

Also, download Navionics for your phone if you can hold apps. $20 seems like a lot but it gives precise depth contours on simcoe. Helps find the humps, shoals and dropoffs which is a great way to start.

Ice fishing can be super frusterating and there will be a lot of skunk days when you start, but I promise it's worth it.

Things that you for sure need (I will save you the hassle I went through)

1: good ice auger. This is were you spend the money. It will make the difference between punching 3 holes and 30 which can make the difference between catching fish. Spend the money. I like the fin-bore III. Other guys like the sweede bore.

2. For lakers get a ugly stick medium to heavy. You can get one for $20. Spend on a good 1000 series that can hold lots of line. Needs to be durable and survive the cold.

3. Sensitive tip ups. Some people make their own. I like Jaques (trout junkie) the store bought I have found has cost me lots of fish.

4. On simcoe a flasher is a good idea but they are exxxxpensive. I was lucky and got mine for under $200. You will get your fair share of lakers and whitefish bouncing off the bottom but for the hog lakers, they love to chase.

5. For the longer trips, snowshoes and a sled are a good idea. If Brian B goes into production on his smitty sleds those are the best bet.

4 and 5 help but aren't needed. Focus on 1 and 2 for now. Should put you on some fish.

Also, download Navionics for your phone if you can hold apps. $20 seems like a lot but it gives precise depth contours on simcoe. Helps find the humps, shoals and dropoffs which is a great way to start.

Ice fishing can be super frusterating and there will be a lot of skunk days when you start, but I promise it's worth it.

Thanks Jeremy for all your help. I believe I have a decent rod but line I will have to check. I got the rod last year the day before I went perch fishing and didnt even bother to check what type it was. Its made by Rapala so hope its half decent.

As far as line, Im guessing something in the range of 10 to 12 pound or is that too heavy? And by flasher do you mean fishfinder? I have seen some on Kijiji for pretty cheap. Not sure if they are suaitable for ice fishing though. I will definitely invest in a good auger.

I live all the way in Oakville so going to Lake Simcoe on a regular basis is probably not going to happen, but when I do go, I would like to be prepared to give me the best chance. Thanks again!

I usually go with 10 pound braid line, then I will add a 2 foot long fluro leader that is 8 lb to keep the line hidden.

A fishfinder and a flasher are very different things. A flasher is like sonar and will show the fish moving up and down, where as, a fish finder only shows the depth the fish was spotted at. They are a lot of fun because you can see your bait as you jig it as well.

I'm near the lake in Toronto, if you remind me, once kemp is safe I'll take you out. I can't promise we'll catch anything (still very new to this myself) but I can show you what I like to use and what does what.

It would also be fun to get into some walleye fishing so please recommend someone who has huts on lake erie. Also would like to know what is the best lures/bait for the walleye

Don't expect to find fish hut operators in Ontario on Lake Erie for walleye.

The area's of Erie that freeze safely (sometimes) are not on the area's which have many walleye.

Bay of Quinte would be a far better bet.

I spent this past winter, my first on Simcoe, dragging my portable hut out from Innisfil. If you can get your hands on a flasher, that's where I'd spend my money. Walk a bit, blow a hole through with the auger, fire up the flasher. Rinse and repeat until you find (a) fish or (B) the depth you want. This was my first winter using a flasher, and holy smokes, does it ever take a lot of guesswork out of it. You may be sitting over nothing, which the flasher will tell you. You may be sitting over 100 perch that aren't interested in what you've got on the end of your line, and the flasher will tell you. I would give up dragging my portable hut before I'd leave the flasher at home! Other thing I will say is that early in the season, with a pair of cleats on your boots, you'll be able to walk KMs on the lake with no problem. Once the snow starts to accumulate, damn, it becomes a lot of hard work to get to the deep water!

I haven't rented a ice hut for a long time as I don't think the experience was ever that great. Not because the outfitter was bad (although, some are), but when it comes to ice fishing it benefits to move around a lot. Something you are less likely to do if you rent a hut for $80+ a person (ouch!). An actual guide is probably money better spent if you're after Lakers. The Lake Simcoe Message Board should offer a lot more information

I usually go with 10 pound braid line, then I will add a 2 foot long fluro leader that is 8 lb to keep the line hidden.

A fishfinder and a flasher are very different things. A flasher is like sonar and will show the fish moving up and down, where as, a fish finder only shows the depth the fish was spotted at. They are a lot of fun because you can see your bait as you jig it as well.

I'm near the lake in Toronto, if you remind me, once kemp is safe I'll take you out. I can't promise we'll catch anything (still very new to this myself) but I can show you what I like to use and what does what.

Jeremy84, thanks for the offer :) . I will definitely be in touch.