Help with a rebuild....

Smokercrafty

Hey guys, I have a lower unit off my 30 Johnson outboard currently torn apart. Is there anyone near the Newmarket area, that has the know how to put these back together? I'd love to help, or even do the work, I just need guiding eyes.

Compensation will be given, I just want to have this thing done, and done properly.

If you're up for giving me a hand with this..... I'd be grateful.

Just make sure it's not a linkage issue Sinker...... I myself am a mechanic, just not specialized in marine. I learned a helluva lot though, repairing a few things on my spare 30. I just need this lower unit done, and I could even sell it. The motor runs great.

I'd love to give you a hand, if I'm ever out your way, of course, I should be at Balsam this weekend, if that's anywhere near you.

My plan is too get this spare motor running, the I'll most likely be selling both 30's....(identical motors), in exchange for a 40.

Edited by Smokercrafty

Its not a linkage. That I know for sure. Even if I disconnect the linkage and shift it manually into reverse there is no gear. Just clicking, like its between gears. Only does it under load in the water....prop spins fine on muffs.

Good luck with yours!

S.

There is a linkage that you undo when dropping the lower end to change the water pump impeller, perhaps this one slipped or was not lined up properly .

He said he pushed it by hand (no linkage) so that doesn't make sense.

Sounds like the teeth are worn on the reverse gear. Maybe it was jammed into reverse a few times at higher rpms.

We need Bernie back on here. He helped me out a few times.

He said he pushed it by hand (no linkage) so that doesn't make sense.

Sounds like the teeth are worn on the reverse gear. Maybe it was jammed into reverse a few times at higher rpms.

We need Bernie back on here. He helped me out a few times.

Reverse gear has been abused... a lot. I use my boat duck hunting, and reverse gear is the one that takes a beating removing weeds and other "stuff" from the prop. I don't think its a gear....maybe a clutch dog or something like that.

Forward and Neutral work fine, and it shifts fine into reverse, just won't spin the prop under load.

Sorry to hijack Smokercrafty!

S.

Who are you answering with that, Dave? Doesn't sound like it relates to my issue. Or could it be, I'm just not "catching your drift"..... Sorry if that's the case.

I was talking replacing the lower end only.There was talk of that,just thought I would chime in from what I have learned.Maybe no drift?,no worries.Oh,and I was directing that at you.No problem if not applies to your issue.Helped a few out with the shift problem,not saying that was yours.

Edited by davey buoy

If all else fails, there's likely some youtube videos that show how to put back together an OMC lower end Smokercrafty.

I've searched, but come up empty handed...... I just need to do a little more searching i bet!!

Usually not.much to a lower unit. At worst take pics as u take it apart.

If I had time would do it for u but enough o plate right now

I hear what you're saying, and appreciate the gesture. Thank you.

u know you can look it all up at brp.com use your model number annd get a good diagram of the gearcase, for what its worth i think the clutch dog it worn out common enough on omc

I have that diagram..... I have no "issues" with anything. You're mixing me up with Sinker. I just want to reassemble a lower unit.

Again, sorry to hijack your post!! It wasnt my intention at all. And thanks to everyone else for the info/advice!

No problem buddy. crap happens..... Lol