Smokin with a Propane babecue NF

davey buoy

I believe this has been touched upon before ,but my search skills are lacking a bit.I know the flavored wood chips you put over one burner.Do you remove the grill and sit lower ?,or do you remove the shield and have sit on the burner?thinking that would not be a good idea.How do you guys do it with the best results?. Really want to try a Brisket soon,but don't want to waste it if things go wrong.I know this is not the best way,but I know a lot of you guys do this with outstanding results!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Mines a 3 burner and a 4th for the side burner.Thanks.

Dave.

Edited by davey buoy

If you want to share a dinner, I can come by and show you how.

Soak chips. Pull out a large sheet of tin foil. Put chips in along with some dry (I like to do 50/50 and make a packet. Just poke a few holes with a fork. Lay over the burner plate. Once the smoke stops, remove and put another if you wish.

Edited by Brian B

Would that likely last the whole 4 hours or so?.Seems like a awfully big packet over just one burner shield?Thanks for your input,just want to be ready for a descent first smoke.

Yes, but you can always make another to have on hand if it dosent.

I made smaller ones and always had to make another up, thats why I went bigger. The chips are not that expensive, so it,s not a real loss if you dont use it all up. IMO

I bought a nice little SS box at CTC that is desigined for just that job., works perfectly but I don't use it anymore, I've started doing a lot of cold smoking now. I did buy one of the nice electric digital smokers a few months back but I just sold it. I am finding I can do a lot more with the cold smoking and I like the results better. Free to a good home if you want to come and pick it up, one nice little CTC smoke box.

I bought a nice little SS box at CTC that is desigined for just that job., works perfectly but I don't use it anymore, I've started doing a lot of cold smoking now. I did buy one of the nice electric digital smokers a few months back but I just sold it. I am finding I can do a lot more with the cold smoking and I like the results better. Free to a good home if you want to come and pick it up, one nice little CTC smoke box.

How would a smoke box work Cliff ,using a propane Barbecue?.

I just smoked my first batch of salmon this week. I used a tin plate and filled it with wet chips and put it on the delfector. I didn't light the side the salmon sat on. Smoked it for about 3 hours. Came out very salty but smoky flavour. Next batch gonna cut the salt way down and add more brown sugar! I'm gonna try that tin foil bundle and see how that works out.

I just smoked my first batch of salmon this week. I used a tin plate and filled it with wet chips and put it on the delfector. I didn't light the side the salmon sat on. Smoked it for about 3 hours. Came out very salty but smoky flavour. Next batch gonna cut the salt way down and add more brown sugar! I'm gonna try that tin foil bundle and see how that works out.

Sounds good!!,what was your fish temperature when done?.Was 200 degrees the target temp for smoking?

I'm liking wood chunks vs chips more and more. throw a couple of chunks in foil or in a cast iron smoker box and yer good to go. also use chips sometimes but have heard some smokers suggest wet chips are not as good as dry chunks. something about the wet chips never getting to smoke and instead they send up creosote or something. read this maybe on a weber smoking forum or meat smoking, can't remember....

fwiw, I would get a smoker box vs foil, imo, it makes for a better smoke ;)

The dollar stores sell great little baking trays that can be used for just this. I have 3 little brownie sized trays for adding wood chips to the BBQ.

I find it's harder to get a true smoked result using the BBQ. Really your slow cooking as it's harder to get the lower temps for smoking.

Still works though and when I don't have 6 hours to spare I add wood chips in my BBQ to get that oh so good extra flavour

Loving the cherry wood right now and just did a nice batch of BBQ pork chops on Friday. 2 hours on the BBQ at around 225F

BBQ normal for first 10 minutes and then into smoker mode. Chops done to medium rare and then go on the top rack and chips in brownie pan on top of burner set on low. It's about a good 3-4 beer smoking time from there.

and get a proper thermometer and pay no attention to the built in thermometer on your grill as it's probably off quite a bit. I use this one for the weber kettle and masterbuilt gas smoker. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maverick-Digital-Remote-Thermometer-with-2-High-Heat-Probes-HD-377/205493872

really helps you keep an eye on the temps if you smoke low and slo. it's wireless (but not app driven) so you can monitor from wherever. I try to stick around 220-250° F for pork ribs

Just finished my second batch of Salmon and it's waaaay better than the first. Used 1/3 cup of Kosher salt and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar in a container with 8 slabs of fish and covered it in cold water and let it sit in the fridge for three days. Smoked it for 2 1/2 hours on the BBQ. Like Fang said it's like slow cooking it cus the BBQ won't 'idle' down to a real looow heat. This time I only used one tray of Hickory wood chunks and it smoked like crazy for a good two hours. For the last half hour I turned off the gas and just let the wood smoke away. I didn't take the internal temps but just tried flaking a piece after the two hour mark and tried again at 3 hours and it was done and moist.