Fishing the St. Lawrence, near cornwall

Cloudy15

Hey all, I am heading to a friends cottage for a couple of days on the the St.Lawrence near Cornwall,specifically Stanley Island.

I've never fished there before and was hoping for a little advice. I most likely only have a canoe to use, but I'm not afraid of a good long paddle to productive grounds. Also I am really not sure how canoe friendly the water is current and what not.

I've been looking online for fishing maps and even basic depth charts, but have been coming up empty. I'm not sure why I am having so much trouble, it usually isn't a problem for smaller lakes.

I'd love to catch really just about any quality fish, bass, pickerel, muskie etc. My plain was to just drift and drop shot around the near by islands. Maybe try a little at night closer to shore for pickerel?

Any help or pointers to help me find some productive water would be greatly appreciated, since I have limted time and have to paddle everywhere (most likely). It would be a huge help!

Thanks!

Stanly island is very close to plenty if great fishing for walleye bass and musky... It's smack in the middle of where I fish every day...

There's smallmouth right below the lighthouse on the north side of the island...

The current will be tough in a canoe tho

If you want some more help shoot me a pm... Let me know when your coming... Might have an open seat

Stanly island is very close to plenty if great fishing for walleye bass and musky... It's smack in the middle of where I fish every day...

There's smallmouth right below the lighthouse on the north side of the island...

The current will be tough in a canoe tho

If you want some more help shoot me a pm... Let me know when your coming... Might have an open seat

^ I would jump all over that if you can!!!!!

Nice offer, Mike!

S.

Hey all, I am heading to a friends cottage for a couple of days on the the St.Lawrence near Cornwall,specifically Stanley Island.

I've never fished there before and was hoping for a little advice. I most likely only have a canoe to use, but I'm not afraid of a good long paddle to productive grounds. Also I am really not sure how canoe friendly the water is current and what not.

I've been looking online for fishing maps and even basic depth charts, but have been coming up empty. I'm not sure why I am having so much trouble, it usually isn't a problem for smaller lakes.

Spent a few days on Stanley Island about 20 yrs. ago.

Had access to a large boat and still found it tough to manage the current.

Caught a few smallmouth bass on swim type jigs cast around rocks on deeper sides of island.

If you hook up with the offer above, you have it made.

Spent a few days on Stanley Island about 20 yrs. ago.

Had access to a large boat and still found it tough to manage the current.

Caught a few smallmouth bass on swim type jigs cast around rocks on deeper sides of island.

If you hook up with the offer above, you have it made.

I always bring a 5 pound weight with a couple of claw like pieces, to help control my drifts when I don't have an electric motor. Usually helps a fair bit, not sure that it will in this case.

Cloudy, if it's any help?

http://greatlakes-seaway.com/en/navigating/nautical-charts/index.html

http://www.gpsnauticalcharts.com/main/ca/great_lakes_canada_and_st_lawrence_river-great-lakes-canada-and-st.-lawrence-river-nautical-charts-folio.html

I have no idea of the area, but a marine store in that area may have charts available? I got my charts for the Pointe Au Baril area years ago from a marine store in Cleveland. It was a popular destination for yachters and sail boaters, I would guess that the St. Lawrence is in that area?

There were people fishing in that tournament in areas that looked sheltered from the current and wind, but I have no idea how far they may be from your destination. Boat traffic and wind are also a factor in a canoe? and there appeared to be a lot of good sized boat traffic.

Safety first? the life you risk may be your own?

Cloudy, if it's any help?

http://greatlakes-seaway.com/en/navigating/nautical-charts/index.html

http://www.gpsnauticalcharts.com/main/ca/great_lakes_canada_and_st_lawrence_river-great-lakes-canada-and-st.-lawrence-river-nautical-charts-folio.html

I have no idea of the area, but a marine store in that area may have charts available? I got my charts for the Pointe Au Baril area years ago from a marine store in Cleveland. It was a popular destination for yachters and sail boaters, I would guess that the St. Lawrence is in that area?

There were people fishing in that tournament in areas that looked sheltered from the current and wind, but I have no idea how far they may be from your destination. Boat traffic and wind are also a factor in a canoe? and there appeared to be a lot of good sized boat traffic.

Safety first? the life you risk may be your own?

Thanks for the info, ya if it looks to much I won't bother. Safety first:)

As said Cloudy,take Mike up on his offer.At least you will know where you can go or not,plus a wealth of fishing experience you can't buy.Just sayin.!!!!!and good luck .!

Oh, trust me I am very keen on taking Mike up if he has the time and room. And, grateful for even just the thought.

Hey all, I am heading to a friends cottage for a couple of days on the the St.Lawrence near Cornwall,specifically Stanley Island

Not a lot cottages on Sanley Island. I was a guest of the Hill family. Not fishing folk on island.

Lots of bass around. Maybe try topwaters for bass in morningor a Rapala minnowbait in evening.

Not a lot cottages on Sanley Island. I was a guest of the Hill family. Not fishing folk on island.

Lots of bass around. Maybe try topwaters for bass in morningor a Rapala minnowbait in evening.

That is to funny, I am heading to the Hills. They are my girlfriends family. And thanks for the tips

That is to funny, I am heading to the Hills. They are my girlfriends family. And thanks for the tips

Friend of George Hill from back 25 yrs, ago when he lived in T.O. Lost touch a bit last couple years when he moved to Ottawa.

Still a good friend with other Cornwall dude Kent B. here in Toronto.

Met other Cornwall peeps Rochelle H. , Peter Hill, John Black et al...way back. in T.O.

Anyways, best fishing on island was on north side of channel. Rattle baits, swim jigs, and Rapalas in blk/slv thrown off big rocks produce bass.

Good Luck!