Heater hoses for 2005 Sierra

mr blizzard

I went to flush my heater core out as it was blowing cold air late last winter,,,it only did this because I added some bardaul to try to stop the anti freeze from leaking into engine oil

After several weeks I was finally able to find the one and only wrecker engine in Yellowknife,, finally installed and works like a charm but I need to flush the heater core to get the crap out of it, if it does not work I have to take the whole dash apart, seriously

But gm conveniently has one hose that has a squeeze clamp BUT the other has a push on fitting that needs a special tool to take it off ...really

CAN I just cut both heater hoses and do a reverse flush to get the stuff out and then resplice the hose..back in the day both hoses could be taken off , but t he engineer sos tried to find a way from us performing that simple task

thx in advance

john

CTC should have the tool in the "gadget" isle. $20 or so for the plastic ones to depress the tabs and pop it off. These line fittings (GM tranny lines are the worst) are all stuff to make line assembly faster and to try and make DIY a thing of the past.

Wayne as before I said to my wife Wayne will be there, God Bless You all

U came across like a blazing stallion with help for my jiffy ice auger a couple of years ago,,,,worked like a charm since

Wayne our store is quite limited even though they expanded, Like the store in Brooks Alta lol

They have nothing of the sort, and most workers there really don't understand much English, ,,no disrespect but just the way it is,,,,,lots come from overseas, they just need some time here I guess poor guy tried to sell me a chain saw, then a chainsaw sharpening guide when I only phoned about a file lol store manager sorted it out

Wayne could I cut both lines ,,do a reverse flush and splice in line again, hoses are pretty firm, hope to be working again in next couple of weeks but with the injury I have had no income gotta get old betsy with a newer ticker on the road, oh ya she does spin the tires again, lol

Wayne as u know u don't get respect in life you earn it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Wayne u have earned my respecy many times over

Just saying but for real

John

I can try ,,,but the one garage we have dealt with charged me 2 labours for 2 defective rack and pinions on wifes old van, I picked up the parts from a nation wide supplier up here and said because I picked up the parts and took them to his garage that he would not honour his 3 month labour warranty because he did not pick up the part, so we r out almost 1000 bucks, welcome to the north

I can try ,,,but the one garage we have dealt with charged me 2 labours for 2 defective rack and pinions on wifes old van, I picked up the parts from a nation wide supplier up here and said because I picked up the parts and took them to his garage that he would not honour his 3 month labour warranty because he did not pick up the part, so we r out almost 1000 bucks, welcome to the north

Check with Canadian Tire. They have tools to loan. FREE!!! :)

Just leave the quick connect hose on and flush the core out through the engine.

If there's an air compressor handy, fill the system with water and then give the core a shot of 150 pounds of air pressure. One of two things will happen, it'll blow the core out clean or it'll blow the core up. Either way you'll have heat for this winter.

Dan.

if you were closer i loan u the tools think i got near every line tool made (found heater hose disconnect tool other day for aerostar vans any of those left on road lol)

dealt with many gmc plugged heater cores over the years couple things, good strong rad flush put to cans in leave it in and running for a couple hours then flush it, also undo it blow it out and fill with CLR OVERNIGHT has also worked.

lastly price a heater core out sometimes just easier to biter the bullet pull the dash out AND CHANGE IT usually 3-4 hrs work. if a heater core is less than 200 bones i dont even mess with it

Any chance someone here on OFC has the tool? You pay for shipping and return it. They engineer vehicles now so it becomes virtually impossible for a DIYer today, they sure make it tough. I have a pal that has a Quonset hut including hoist with every tool ever made I think. He did work for friends and family regularly. He has about had it with the way newer cars are made today, he hates saying I can't sorry but he is saying it more and more everyday. It took us a few hours to change his daughters battery in her 03' Chrysler Intrepid because it was buried in the fender behind and below 1/2 the engine, crazy.

Thanks for the kind words ecmilley and Old Ironmaker

Ecmilley wish I was closer, still have not been able to remove the one hose, tried a tool at ctc but did not work,,it blew amazing heat even at -40 until we put the additive in to try to seal head gasket, used engine we put in works great thankfully, we flushed rad out with positive results, the additive crap came out like jello, thus I am confident the heater core could be saved, almost tempted to cut both heater hoses flush and resplice as a last resort, it still baffles my brain why they would have the good old fashion spring clamp on one hose but but put this Bull fitting on the other

Yes it is a bit of a job to replace the core for sure