Ram mount install

jjcanoe

So I am pimping out the new Crestliner and am wondering if I need a backing plate under the dash for my Ram mount. Typical fiberglass dashboard and I'm installing a Lowrance Elite 7. Is it OK to just drill the holes and regular old SS bolt and washer combo or do I need some extra strength back there?

It wouldn't hurt to add a chunk of 1/2-5/8 ply under the dash and bolt through it... Would probably help prevent flexing and possible spider cracking of the gel coat etc in rough weather. It's added insurance for a chunk of scrap wood.

My opinion anyways.

G

It wouldn't hurt to add a chunk of 1/2-5/8 ply under the dash and bolt through it... Would probably help prevent flexing and possible spider cracking of the gel coat etc in rough weather. It's added insurance for a chunk of scrap wood.

My opinion anyways.

G

....agreed esp with the quality in these hulls nowadays

I wouldnt even go as far as saying extreme conditions, both my consoles on my newer lund cracked and were replaced under warranty, one was untouched, the other cracked far away from the mount. Could have been the cold, but for safe measures id highly recommend some sort of backing that doesnt rot. Quality on most boats just isnt there anymore.

Grab some 1/8 x 2" aluminum from princess auto or Canadian tire. It comes in 3 foot lengths. Easy to drill through and cut with a hacksaw. Works great as backing and won't rot. Add stainless hardware and a couple drops of loktite and you will have a permanent mount that won't budge.

I had used backing on my old boat (30 years) and it was just 1/4" underlayment so don't fret on what you use.....it never rotted or even looked used when I stripped the depth finder/GPS and VHF radio off this past May.....it was a open boat with a side console with a small windshield.....so whatever you got laying around will work just fine......it's really completely protected under there.

I have a 2012 crestliner fish hawk with 2 rams on the dash. A 5 and a 7 inch unit. The newer crestliners have a reinforced dash. All I did was add extra large washers. Solid as a rock. Accually, the ram up front mounded on the deck came loosed before the one on the dash, so did on of my tm bolts.