Superstitions

Nemo

Fishermen are a superstitious bunch. *crosses fingers, Knocks on wood*

I have a "friend" some of you may know that is teasing me (in the kindest possible way- ya loser) about a current skunk on my last trip to Algonguin Park.

There are plenty of theories why the SKUNK, the weather, the moon, the fish were in transition etc, etc :blahblah1::blahblah1:

My own personal feeling why I skunked was that my neighbour talked to me about the fish we were "going' to catch.

In my world that's a "no no" the eve of a trip. You can only talk about fish that have been caught in the past. I even remember telling the guy to stop talking about it because it would "skunk me". There you go a self fulfilling prophecy.

Another practice we avoid is ridiculing a skunk because that is the surest way to get it to attach to you. :o

Let me know what everyone else's superstitions are. With the luck I have been having lately I need all the help I can get.

Beware the Skunk

skunk.gif

Edited by Nemo

In my neck of the woods:

- never wish "good luck" to someone that's getting to go fishing, unless you want to hear some profanity in response. :P

- if you stepped in crap by accident, that would soon bring luck to you, in general.

- if a cat -particularly a black cat- crosses your path, better turn around, because that is omen. Or, for the brave, step back 3 times, spit 3 times over your shoulder and hope that you'll get well through the day. :worthy:

- one from the very past: if you cross path with someone carrying an empty bucket -from the water well, I guess- that would mean a dry spell on you. If instead, the person carries a bucket full, that's a sign of good luck and you should toss a coin in the bucket.

I wonder how many other cultures have simillar if not same superstitions.

I have a few weird superstitions...

Never trash talk before a fishing trip. Especially if the other person is going fishing in the same area. Sure as heck, the other guy is going to catch more and bigger fish. If I keep quiet, then it is usually a different outcome.

While driving to the lake, if I see a moose then I better hold onto my rod with both hands because fishing is going to be insane. This is no Bull. Last Saturday I saw a moose run down the road 20 feet in front of my truck, for about 500 metres. We caught 14 walleye in 2 hours.

To prove the other theory my partner was trash talkin as well. I caught 11 he caught 3, plus he caught the only pike, which is a bad thing when you targeting walleye.

Never wash your fishing hat. The only washing mine gets is when it blows off my head into the lake. going on 14 years, no soap. My wife cringes every time I put it on. When I think about it, it is kinda disgusting. Who am I to mess with the rules?

When Bly and I fish...this has worked many times. If fishing is slow, then we'll stop for a bit, take out a garbage bag and clean up an area. We believe that the fishing god's will reward us with a fish. The last time we tried this, we had only 10 minutes to fish. I put my rod down cause I had already caught one...bly hadn't. Sure enough, within that 10 minutes, she landed a beauty fish!

I also NEVER go on an outing EXPECTING a fish. I expect TO fish, and hope to CATCH. :lol:

- if you stepped in crap by accident, that would soon bring luck to you, in general.

Does goose crap count? If so, then this explains a lot lol

Superstitions of my own......there is a particular hat that I like to wear when fishing. Late winter and early spring I was wearing another and wasn't catching anything....back to the old hat and success :thumbsup_anim:

bly

Hey, that may be a true one Cliff. When I was waiting around down at the Niagara River for Paul to get some stuff ready, I picked up the garbage laying around and put it in the trash can, and we got lots of fish that weekend :thumbsup_anim:

Joey

Indeed I have my lucky hats and my not so lucky hats - which I decided to wear anywhere but fishing.

The funniest thing is with these 2 identical hats - I bought one, then on a trip I forgot it at home so I stopped to the first store and I bought another one, identical.

Well, the first one always brought me luck, where her sister should spell SKUNKED on top. I ended up placing them in separate corners of the house.

Indeed I have my lucky hats and my not so lucky hats - which I decided to wear anywhere but fishing.

The funniest thing is with these 2 identical hats - I bought one, then on a trip I forgot it at home so I stopped to the first store and I bought another one, identical.

Well, the first one always brought me luck, where her sister should spell SKUNKED on top. I ended up placing them in separate corners of the house.

Separate corners of the house? C'mon!! You gotta burn it!!! Destroy it!!! Dont give it away....dont sell it in a garage sale....it'll come back!!! LOL.

Separate corners of the house? C'mon!! You gotta burn it!!! Destroy it!!! Dont give it away....dont sell it in a garage sale....it'll come back!!! LOL.

I must keep an eye to the evil, so it's better to keep it chained, in the basement, under the dripping pipe :-)

It takes time to break in a new hat. You have to endure a few bad trips and put alittle 'stink' on it before it starts to work it's magic.

Here is the proper breakin procedure for a new potential fishing hat.

1. Crumple it into a ball

2. Put it under you pillow the night before first fishing trip

3. remeber to grab it from under your pillow the next morning

4. Sacrifice 1 virgin [optional]

and NEVER wash it. haha event if it crawls away. You stomp on it 2 or 3 times and slap it on your head.

I must keep an eye to the evil, so it's better to keep it chained, in the basement, under the dripping pipe :-)

You mean like "keep your friends close and your enemies closer?" hehe.

Did your buddy bring any bananas on board ?...Skunks love 'em... :wub:

You got that she-yit right Beans!!!

I also live by the "Trash Talk" rule!!!, and I must also add NEVER EVER talk trash DURING a fishing trip if you're catching more fish than anyone else. I have a buddy that likes to do this quite often when he is in the lead, and he always talks me a MONSTER fish onto my hook... he never learns!!! :w00t:

You can only talk trash in the truck on the way home!!!

As far as the hat thing goes. Hats that you buy for yourself have little or no luck in them. Hats that are given to you by someone else are one of the luckiest fishing charms there are!!!

This is the Gospel!!!

Sorry to hear you got skunked on your trip Nemo.

At least you had nice weather and were able to go for a swim.

If it makes you feel any better I went out to my local pike hole early this morning and got skunked.

Corn Nug

Watch the cattle in the fields on your way out. If they're moving around and grazing, the fish will be active. If the cattle are laying down, the fish won't be active either. An old farmer told me that about 45 years ago and it seems right.

Watch the cattle in the fields on your way out. If they're moving around and grazing, the fish will be active. If the cattle are laying down, the fish won't be active either. An old farmer told me that about 45 years ago and it seems right.

Yep .. 100% accurate !

If all the cows are standing fish will be biting ... if not then just the mosquitoes will be biting