What's draining my battery ??

lew

Hi guys

I've got a riding mower that I removed the mower deck from and just use it for hauling a cart around when I'm moving things.

Runs great and I put in a new battery a month ago.

I went to use it last week and the battery was dead so I figured I must have left the key on so I charged it up and it ran great.

I put it away and left it sit all week and when I went to start it this morning the battery was dead again and I know for a fact the key was in the off position so that's not the problem.

I looked at all the wiring as best as I could and can't see any cracked or broken wires that could be shorting out and nothing else is apparent.

The ignition has a position to run the lights or not and the key definitely wasn't left in that spot.

Any thoughts ??

003-12.jpg

Wayne, I thought of unhooking the battery once it's charged and let it sit to see if that's the problem, so thanks for confirming it.

Any way to test that regulator to see if it's the trouble maker ?

Sorry guys, we were all posting at the same time.

Davey, the tractor hasn't run since last week so I'm guessing it's something drawing current while it sits idle.

And Rob, I'll try running it without the AC next time LOL

and if you can't find the source, and it's not the battery, i'd just put in a kill switch that you flip on and off when you use the mower.

Which wires would connect to the switch Raf ??

Actually Lew, pull the negitive cable off the battery, you ALWAYS disconnect the negitive cable first and re hook it last (except in a positive ground system). Reason is that if you did short ground to ground while disconnecting/reconnecting the negitive cable it won't matter, if you were to short the positive cable to ground while the negitive cable is still connected ...... well you'll have a dead short to ground and it won't be nice.

A switch in the negitive circuit probably won't do you any good, too much current when starting the tractor, it would take one heck of a switch to handle that load, could be done but not practicle.

Check to see if the tractor is charging the battery; just put a volt meter set to DCV across the terminals of the battery and measure the voltage. Then start the tractor, the voltage should read something at or above 13V while the tractor is running, if it doesn't then you probably have a problem with your charging curcit.

Try those things first and if you are still having trouble let me know, I could try to drop over one day this week and have a look at it for you.

Edited by Big Cliff

Try those things first and if you are still having trouble let me know, I could try to drop over one day this week and have a look at it for you.

Thanks Cliff, I'm certainly not a mechanic and don't have a circuit tester but certainly appreciate your offer about coming over.

Trouble is, Diane and I are heading to the West Arm of Nipissing on Saturday for a couple weeks of getting slimed and I'll be busy here all week getting things ready.

I'm gonna leave the battery disconnected till around Thursday and then try and start the tractor. If the battery is dead again with nothing hooked to it, that'll mean it's faulty and I'll return it for another one.

If it starts, that means I've got something draining it and maybe when your not doing anything someday after I get home I'll bring it over to your place and you can have a look....if you don't mind.

Actually Lew, pull the negitive cable off the battery, you ALWAYS disconnect the negitive cable first and re hook it last (except in a positive ground system). Reason is that if you did short ground to ground while disconnecting/reconnecting the negitive cable it won't matter, if you were to short the positive cable to ground while the negitive cable is still connected ...... well you'll have a dead short to ground and it won't be nice.

Well I guess doing what I said for a month on the old beater was wrong. It got me by. LOL

Thanks Cliff, I'm certainly not a mechanic and don't have a circuit tester but certainly appreciate your offer about coming over.

Trouble is, Diane and I are heading to the West Arm of Nipissing on Saturday for a couple weeks of getting slimed and I'll be busy here all week getting things ready.

I'm gonna leave the battery disconnected till around Thursday and then try and start the tractor. If the battery is dead again with nothing hooked to it, that'll mean it's faulty and I'll return it for another one.

If it starts, that means I've got something draining it and maybe when your not doing anything someday after I get home I'll bring it over to your place and you can have a look....if you don't mind.

No problem at all Lew, I'd be happy to have a look at it for you!

Well I guess doing what I said for a month on the old beater was wrong. It got me by. LOL

Your way will work fine, my way is just a little safer :whistling:

Lew. You and D have a great relaxing holiday. Leave those big fish alone. You might pull a musle or something. :whistling::lol:

Thanks Brian, but the only thing I plan on pulling is those big brutes over the gunnels of my boat :lol:

A quick test I sometimes use in a pinch to find a drain and how much of a drain on smaller machines is to use a couple of fuses.

Turn off everything and disconnect negative terminal. Start with a 20 amp fuse, touch one end to battery,other to cable. Ideally, the fuse shouldn't blow. Look for arcing when you touch them together.

Then go to a 10 amp, do the same thing. Progress down until the fuse blows, that will give you the approximate amperage drain. Once you determine for sure the drain is below 10amps you should be able to use your multimeter (if you have one) in line to get the definitive number.

Reading should be almost zero on anything without radio or computer controls.

Even a 1/4 amp is enough to kill a battery over a few days.

i'd put it in-line with your negative wire coming off the battery.

For an old mower converted to a wagon hauler, this is what I'd do also. They sell switches that attach directly to your battery terminal, then to the battery cable at princess auto for $7. They are designed specifically as a battery cutoff to avoid draining down a battery by accident. Shipping from PA is cheap like borscht also!

Edited by porkpie