Fighting traffic ticket

pike slayer

I'm going through this right now. Had my gps on my phone when I was driving through Toronto, it kept telling me to turn down one way streets. At a red light I reached over to turn my phone off and got pulled over for distracted driving.

I have heard insurance companies love the distracted driving charge to raise your rates so I hired one of those X-police guys. I told him I would only hire for a full acquittal. He said that's fine and put in the paperwork. That was mid may and I have yet to see my court summons yet. Could take a while.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

They worked the one time I used them. Not guilty.

Hope u have the same result.

G

Im just glad he,s not working for me. LOL :sarcasm:

LOL

I'm going through this right now. Had my gps on my phone when I was driving through Toronto, it kept telling me to turn down one way streets. At a red light I reached over to turn my phone off and got pulled over for distracted driving.

I have heard insurance companies love the distracted driving charge to raise your rates so I hired one of those X-police guys. I told him I would only hire for a full acquittal. He said that's fine and put in the paperwork. That was mid may and I have yet to see my court summons yet. Could take a while.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

I don't agree that you go charged if that is really what was happening in your case.... With the way the law is written it is going to a tough one to win.

The thing that amazes me is I can't drive 2 miles where I live that someone isn't still texting or talking on a cellphone. If I was a police officer I could reverse the city's debt in a couple of months.... The tourists and citizens here must think that law doesn't apply or something. LOL.

Thanks guys.

Oh Canuck fan I know. I'm worried to be honest. I'd even pay the whole fine if they dropped the charges just so the insurance company doesn't get a whiff.

The odd thing was, after I got the ticket I went back to the police cruisers car and asked her for directions. She helped me out and was very nice. I was actually surprised the ticket stuck with how understanding she was. Seems odd.

officers show up...they get extra pay to do so...

but you may get it reduced, if it is a 30km or more ticket....if it is less than that, just pay it.

It depends on where he works and their schedule. Most officers don't get paid extra to attend court because it's scheduled on their day shift

As for no getting a 20 over ticket reduced at the side of the road, a lot of coppers have lost their ability to use discretion by the courts and the bosses still want tickets to be written. I for one don't like it but it is what it is.

Go get your first appearance with the crown and have the ticket reduced. If you don't like the resolution you can take it to trial. Unless you are willing to pay for a paralegal don't try and apply for charter motions like a previous post said. I have never seen it work in the past.

They will usually knock it down to 10 or 15 over

Edited by FishnNAutographs

LOL

I don't agree that you go charged if that is really what was happening in your case.... With the way the law is written it is going to a tough one to win.

The thing that amazes me is I can't drive 2 miles where I live that someone isn't still texting or talking on a cellphone. If I was a police officer I could reverse the city's debt in a couple of months.... The tourists and citizens here must think that law doesn't apply or something. LOL.

That's because you're not in a giant billboard on wheels advertising you're a police car lol.

It depends on where he works and their schedule. Most officers don't get paid extra to attend court because it's scheduled on their day shift

I always wondered about if it was "overtime" to have the officers available for court or it was part of their regular shifts. It does make sense to have the court date sync with the lower cost of the officer being there.

I snuck by on one charge under the Crown's radar though. Due to the wording on the ticket and website regarding first meetings I was always working during those times. I didn't bother contacting the Crown when I was sitting the morning of the trial he demanded to know why I was there. I showed him the paper work. Oops the officer was on duty on the far side of the county, raging blizzard no chance for her to get to court in time. Charges dropped.... If I had of called ahead she would have been on duty at the courthouse and available. The OPP who was on duty said to me, good one but I wouldn't count on it ever working again LOL.

That's because you're not in a giant billboard on wheels advertising you're a police car lol.

As best I can guess here in town we only have 5 police cars that are used for patrol, and 3 of them are blacked out models where the police badging only shows when you are directly across from it. No outside lights on 2 of them for sure too....

The thing is though these soccer mom's who are the majority of who I see, in their minivans usually with kids are so oblivious. I don't think they would even try to put the phone down if they did see a marked car. It just seems like they feel it is a GOD GIVEN right to be on their phone at all times.

Yeah some places like Toronto its a logistical nightmare to schedule court during day shift so everyone's court is on a day off. I know with York, Waterloo and the OPP that traffic court is during day shifts unless you are off on vacation or have had a schedule change

I can only imagine trying to schedule it all. Then any delays for either side or a couple cases go long and it has to be done all over again for a couple cases.

It just seems like they feel it is a GOD GIVEN right to be on their phone at all times.

I was southbound on 28 a few weeks back and a northbound car slowed to make a right hand turn.

A woman travelling behind him decided she didn't want to slow down so she pulled into my lane and forced me onto the shoulder.

She was clearly talking on her phone and didn't seem the least bit concerned about me being there.

Scary stuff being on the roads these days.

I can never figure out how people get off with 'just a warning'

I've had 3 tickets in my 15 or so years of driving and have never gotten 'just a warning' but yet I have heard of people lots who talked their way out of one. What is the secret?

Jer, when I got mine, I told the the officer look, I havent had one since I was 18. I explained how I got to the speed I did. I was going to turn into where I live, then realized I was to go somewhere else. With a guy on my ass, I punched it. Thats how I got nailed only 50 yards from the drive. He had his bike tucked behind a tree. I might of been able to fight for him not being out in plain sight ( I think thats what they are to be when doing radar, could be wrong) I got, go and get it reduced.

I fight every single ticket i get now wrong or right, i pay the guy from ticket experts 250 and 75% of the time the ticket is gone. It doesnt matter if its 1 ticket or 10 its still 250.

The worst thing i ever did was just pay all my tickets when i got them because it cost me a fortune in insurance.

Now that im gettin older i havent got one in a while but i got quite i few when i was in my early 20s.

Its either all or nothing if you pay it your insurance knows about it if you fight it you at least have a chance at getting rid of it and thats worth it every time imo.

Good luck.

I've been driving for 52 years and have only received 2 tickets in all that time.

One was for 7 MPH over and the other was for 10 MPH over and both were about 50 years ago.

Never had any other charges, infact the only other time I was ever stopped was for an illegal left turn at Broadview & Gerrard in front of the Don Jail but the copper let me off because he believed me when I told him I honestly didn't see the sign.

Never had an at fault accident either.

Drive the speed limit and obey the rules and you won't have to worry about fighting tickets in court.

I only pay $691 a year for insurance.

It pays to be a good driver.

I was southbound on 28 a few weeks back and a northbound car slowed to make a right hand turn.

A woman travelling behind him decided she didn't want to slow down so she pulled into my lane and forced me onto the shoulder.

She was clearly talking on her phone and didn't seem the least bit concerned about me being there.

Scary stuff being on the roads these days.

Scary is right... The worst part is most of the time people like her don't even know they caused an issue and just keep on motoring. Telling anyone who will listen they are GREAT drivers so they should have a personal exemption to be able text or talk. Never had a problem... except for the cars in the ditch behind her who didn't want to kill her and her kids with her.

Edited by Canuck2fan

For me it's being polite, yes sir goes a long way, admitting to what you did etc. I give more warnings than tickets. Attitude goes a long way. Give it and expect a full ticket

Stop with this logic and nonsense. The proper way to adress the Police is to flick his tie when he approaches, tell him you pay his salary, ask him if he'd like a donut, and make sure to video tape everything on your iphone. Don't you watch YouTube?

Stop with this logic and nonsense. The proper way to adress the Police is to flick his tie when he approaches, tell him you pay his salary, ask him if he'd like a donut, and make sure to video tape everything on your iphone. Don't you watch YouTube?

OMG that was a good laugh. Thanks

My wonderful wife has a heavy foot. She has a high profile position in our community and is recognized by everyone including every OPP constable here. " Oh I know you, you are the ,,,,,,,lady." She once told the cop, "I knew you were waiting for me so I got here as soon as I could". Our insurance was to the point I had to come out of retirement to pay for it. 15 years now no speeding tickets. She wants to buy a Nissan 300Z or some ridiculous 400HP thing, I don't think so honey. A fiend works at the track and she takes the 1/4 mile run once and a while at Toronto International Speedway to feed her need for speed which is about 3 hour drive from TO. Another story.

Everyone, slow down.