Fifth wheel or motor home?

Big Cliff

•  

never heard of Hitch World but I'd drop by Hitch House (11 near Barrie). Too many toys to look at lol

I stand corrected LOL. Spent a few hours over there with them today, really nice people. Looking more and more that the diesel pusher about 36' is what we would want. I think I'd like to try to find one about 4-5 years old which would reduce the cost significantly and there seems to be a few available with really low milage but reasonable pricing. You wouldn't believe some of these things, washers dryers, TVs all over the place..... built in generators so the whole thing is self sufficient. Still lots of learning to do though LOL.

•  

I stand corrected LOL. Spent a few hours over there with them today, really nice people. Looking more and more that the diesel pusher about 36' is what we would want. I think I'd like to try to find one about 4-5 years old which would reduce the cost significantly and there seems to be a few available with really low milage but reasonable pricing. You wouldn't believe some of these things, washers dryers, TVs all over the place..... built in generators so the whole thing is self sufficient. Still lots of learning to do though LOL.

Cliff, if you go motorhome then diesel pusher is the way to go and buying a few years old is smart, HOWEVER, do your due diligence and demand service records, if there are none then walk away. There are many 2-5 year old pushers on the market, get one that has been well maintained.

Depending on when you plan to buy, definitely hit up the rv shows. Lots in the spring (Toronto Congress Centre has a huge one in the spring I believe). You WILL go nuts looking at all the coaches out there, so much choice and variety. At one show there was a nice Benz badged one that I would have bought if I was retired and had the money (not that much really as it wasn't huge). We go just to drool lol

Cliff, if you go motorhome then diesel pusher is the way to go and buying a few years old is smart, HOWEVER, do your due diligence and demand service records, if there are none then walk away. There are many 2-5 year old pushers on the market, get one that has been well maintained.

Thanks John, good points and now added to the list!

If it we're me, i'd be making a list of all the creature comforts i want in the machine. right down to how comfortable the seats are for driving. When I decided my car just didn't suit my lifestyle anymore ( carrying fishing gear, cargo capacity and whatnot) I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted so that when i bought my truck i asked myself these questions, does it suit me? does it have everything I want? Will it do everything that I plan to do with it?.

where the controls are located,

do the seats fit you

does it have enough living space

does it have enough cargo space

how does it handle

reliability ie, type of engine, what make, transmission make, if looking at RV

i would worry about comforts and other things before worrying about brand name

also, when you're looking at rv's and trailers, take you wife along, I know, it sounds like a bad idea, but the reasoning is actually good, get in it, and move about and pretend your living in it and doing your everyday things like cooking and cleaning and relaxing and figure out if theres enough space

If it we're me, i'd be making a list of all the creature comforts i want in the machine. right down to how comfortable the seats are for driving. When I decided my car just didn't suit my lifestyle anymore ( carrying fishing gear, cargo capacity and whatnot) I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted so that when i bought my truck i asked myself these questions, does it suit me? does it have everything I want? Will it do everything that I plan to do with it?.

where the controls are located,

do the seats fit you

does it have enough living space

does it have enough cargo space

how does it handle

reliability ie, type of engine, what make, transmission make, if looking at RV

i would worry about comforts and other things before worrying about brand name

also, when you're looking at rv's and trailers, take you wife along, I know, it sounds like a bad idea, but the reasoning is actually good, get in it, and move about and pretend your living in it and doing your everyday things like cooking and cleaning and relaxing and figure out if theres enough space

Again, many great questions to add to the list, thanks! If this does come to pass, it will be a big investment for us, you can be sure my wife will be involved!

Cliff,

I would urge you to consider attending the Hershey Park, PA show in September. It's the biggest RV show in North America and nearly every brand and style will be on display. You can get in them, see what features you like, ask questions, meet dealers, get literature, and really start down the road of making an informed decision. If you go you really need to stay at least 2 days. You will learn more about RV's there in 2 days than you will in a year going to individual dealers, and you'll have fun to boot. My wife and I went last year and are attending again this year. It's an amazing show.

That sounds like it would be a really good way to go! Brings up a whole lot of other questions to ask though like importing them into Canada, warranty, I think we have pretty much decided that we would want to start off with a gently used one so that we don't end up loosing 30% of our investment if we find out 6 months down the road it isn't quite what we thought it was. Do they also feature used ones at the show?

We used to go to tbe RV show yearly and DROOL while looking at the big RVs with the marble tile floors, leather couches, multiple big screen tvs etc..... make a list of what you want then go from there. It will get pretty long quickly. Make sure it works for you and your missus.homework is key.

We used to go to tbe RV show yearly and DROOL while looking at the big RVs with the marble tile floors, leather couches, multiple big screen tvs etc..... make a list of what you want then go from there. It will get pretty long quickly. Make sure it works for you and your missus.homework is key.

We are cottage type people, don't have marble floors or leather furnature at home now so it wouldn't be a big priority for a motor home. Many of the ones I have looked at so far have 3+ TV sets even ones outside, there is two of usand when we do watch TV it is usually together. A lot of these seem to have "LUXURY" in mind and quality is secondary. I'm looking for something functional, comfortable, reliable, and affordable. Short list, hard to find!

They don't bring used units to that show Cliff, but I like your thinking relative to buying used. If it were up to me I'd buy used but my wife prefers new so you know the old saying, "happy wife, happy life". No, the real reason to attend the show is to just learn. Learn about the pros and cons of each type of RV from travel trailer to 5th wheel to coach. Even though we're planning to buy new it is every unlikely we'd buy at a show. Best of luck to you, but as an fyi, my retired friends say Florida has the best deals ever on used campers. That makes sense if you think about all the folks hauling them down there.

Good point about FL. Must be a ton of used ones! I have a line on a 2008 Monaco Lapalma diesel 34 PPD that only has 1734 miles on it. It's a little older than I was thinking but would come fully checked over and certified by a very reputable dealer. I can get it for under $100,000.00 and it has a lot of upgrades. Sold new for about $160. Going to try to go and see it this weekend.

Good point about FL. Must be a ton of used ones! I have a line on a 2008 Monaco Lapalma diesel 34 PPD that only has 1734 miles on it. It's a little older than I was thinking but would come fully checked over and certified by a very reputable dealer. I can get it for under $100,000.00 and it has a lot of upgrades. Sold new for about $160. Going to try to go and see it this weekend.

Hi cliff, considering it only has 1734 miles on it make sure it hasn't been used as a stationary unit....if so I would walk away. Something with that low mileage is always suspect as far as why?

That sounds pretty good. As long as it runs well and everything works. It should be good. Make sure you get some sort of a warranty on it. That powertrain is not even broken in. Check behind every nook and cranny for mouse poop. They LOVE the RV lifestyle as well.

Hi cliff, considering it only has 1734 miles on it make sure it hasn't been used as a stationary unit....if so I would walk away. Something with that low mileage is always suspect as far as why?

This is through a dealer so I would insist on a full inspection with a detailed report and some sort of warranty. I did crunch some numbers and a unit that old with average milage on it (a lot lower than a car) should be selling in around $75,000.00 The asking for this is quite a bit higher but if it is in fact in mint condition like they are telling me then it might be worth the extra.

That sounds pretty good. As long as it runs well and everything works. It should be good. Make sure you get some sort of a warranty on it. That powertrain is not even broken in. Check behind every nook and cranny for mouse poop. They LOVE the RV lifestyle as well.

Those Cummings engines and Alliston transmissions are bullet proof they don't even start to get broken in until about 100,000 miles (or so I am told by our mechanic at work).

Boy I really appreciate all the comments and ideas, so much to think about.

Cliff I would be worried about the tires, sitting in one place bet they are lumpy, brakes rusty, seals gone, seized and all other seals on this unit. If it hasn't moved then no oil flow, tranny fluid hasn't moved, coolant hasn't moved. Water pump, lines and tanks may have dried up, water heater, coolant and seals for fridge and a/c.

Really needs to be taken apart and inspected. But I am sure you know all of this.

just my thoughts.

good luck.

Cliff I would be worried about the tires, sitting in one place bet they are lumpy, brakes rusty, seals gone, seized and all other seals on this unit. If it hasn't moved then no oil flow, tranny fluid hasn't moved, coolant hasn't moved. Water pump, lines and tanks may have dried up, water heater, coolant and seals for fridge and a/c.

Really needs to be taken apart and inspected. But I am sure you know all of this.

just my thoughts.

good luck.

One of the things I have specified is that the dealership must inspect and provide a detailed list of all systems and components inspected and a 90 day warranty. It would also have to have a safety and Etest. I am hoping that would cover me!

I might think about paying someone that works on these things as an independent inspector. A seal might look like it might be good for 90 days and it would pass their inspection but it might not be good for much longer than that. I would ask for a heck more warranty than 90 days Cliff, at least 6 months.