French River and Lake Nipissing June 27th to July 2nd 2015

wvmedic

We arrived at Fish Tale Cabins and Campground on June 27th, got settled in and started fishing the French river on the 28th. This was our first trip to the French river the first day saw two fish total for the Wife. A respectable 18 inch Walleye and a small, Smallmouth.

SANY0004.jpg

Day 2 did some exploring and the Wife hooked a nice 22.5 inch Walleye and another Smallmouth. I got skunked and caught nothing on the French.

SANY0046.jpg

Day 3 we made a trip to Lake Nipissing, put in at Sucker Creek and went fishing. I caught two 23.5 inch Walleye and a decent Northern, the Wife caught some Perch and the biggest Drum I’ve ever seen. It was 8 pounds, she caught it within feet of where I caught one of the Walleye and just minutes after me hooking up with the Walleye. So we had a double header. Also witnessed an Eagle flying away from the bay we were in with a Northern that looked to be about 16 inches.

SANY0071.jpg

SANY0051.jpg

Day 4 we were again back on Nipissing we rented a slip from Frank at Memquisit Lodge, great guy by the way. We rented the slip for 3 days and pulled out on the second day as we decided to head home. He chased us down on his ATV to give us our money for the third day we weren’t going to use. We thanked him and told him it was okay, just keep it and thanks for being so nice. He said that he just wanted to be fair and that he believes in and stands by being honest and fair. In my opinion he runs a top notch operation. When we were leaving and about ¾ of a mile before 64, I we saw our first ever Black Bear in the wild. It crossed right in front of us as we were rounding a corner. Another 100 yards or so further on and a Red Fox was walking along the road.

I caught my first ever fish on a jig, it was a respectable Walleye to boot, no more eye’s were caught. The Wife did manage several small Perch and some Sunfish.

SANY0083.jpg

We also swung by Lakair while we were there, they are doing a bunch of remodeling. They are putting up siding and metal roofing on the cabins. While not yet open, the man who will be running it told me they plan on being open next spring, maybe this fall.

All in all it was a good trip.

Jeff

Great report Jeff. I have heard of the Fish Tail .... Where a outs is this located ? I've heard a lot of great comments about Memquisit and the owners as well. We have been really blessed with the camps we stay at up that way. all great hosts.

From what we learned about Lakair, the camp was sold. The new owners are doing a lot of remodeling. Looks like they are basically gutting some of the cabins and re- doing them. Starting with those down around the launch. From what I understand, they are planning on re-opening, but are renting the cottages on a seasonal basis. At least that is what we heard when we were at Mashkinonje a couple weeks ago.

Rich, here is the address. 2597 Wolseley Bay Rd. Noelville, ON POM 1NO, it is just before Wolseley Bay Lodge. Jack and Marie are great hosts and have a very clean place, I would go back without hesitation.

Yes, Lakaire is infact sold. The closing should already be wrapped as the new owners brother told me it was supposed to happen at the end of this week. He is the one who will be running the lodge and whom I got the info from on the planed opening. He didn't say anything about doing anything on a seasonal basis, so I am unsure on that. He did say that the plan was to leave the name the same as well as the same web address. From the outside which is all we could see, the cottages are going to look good. Just with modern siding and metal roofing and such.

Jeff

Old Ironmaker, thanks for the post and information.

I'm new to the electronics and am learning. I'm using a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI, I was able to gain a little information from it while fishing. I just need to use it more to aid in my learning, it's a steep curve though I believe.

I'm also trying to learn as much about new fishing techniques as well, as I said above. That Walleye was the first fish I have ever caught using a jig, I had never used a crawler harness until last year when I fished Lake Ostubonigue with a friend who showed me how. Also on that trip I used a crank bait and caught fish for the second time in my life usin a crank bait. When I was a kid fishing Lake Nipissing with my step dad and his dad, we would drift fish with split shot and night crawlers, as I got older. I started using three way and Carolina rigs, we did troll Johnson silver minnows for Pike back then though. I think I am learning a little due to those Walleye are the biggest I have ever caught on Nipissing.

Jeff

Yeah Jeff, I know where that camp is now. We passed it quite a few times when we stayed at wolseley lodge a few years back. Never went back that direction for fishing though, so we never got a real good look at the place.

Heading up to the French myself here in September for a couple weeks. Staying at Rainbow Camp - also on the road to Wolseley bay. Hoping the big girls are hungry then. Couldn't find them when we were up a couple weeks ago

Supposedly, at Lakair, new wiring and plumbing as well. The owners are fixing up the large cabin there and plan on living in it. Really gonna make the place look nice. They were working in the. One right beside the launch and it looked like the gutted the whole thing. Put all new bracing underneath as well. Just working in the aiding when we went past a few times. Dang - really gonna miss that place. Lots of great times there

Nice fishing tale wvmedic and it's good to hear you had a great vacation.

It's always been my opinion that when your fishing that area there's no such thing as a bad trip, infact it's one of my favorite spots anywhere in this big beautiful country.

Your right about Frank & Charlene at Memquisit too, their great folks and we've stayed with them several times and will be back for another 2 weeks starting August 8th.

It was sad when Lakair closed down but now it's good to see a favorite place of mine being reborn and hopefully it runs for many more years.

Those are some beautiful nippissing pickerel. It can be challenging to catch them that size. You did well. Next time drop a waypoint as soon as you catch a fish, and circle back on it a few times. It's also helpful to run a track on your gps, as you can see the trail you traveled, and your line of waypoints that where productive. We smashed them on nipp with crawler harnesses trolled at 1.0-1.2, right off the boat as well as off boards. Ironmaker is 100 percent dead on, I've seldom caught just one pickerel off a spot on nippissing. It's loaded with fish, the only problem is the size. We got 4 keepers out of countless fish when last there. 12-16 inchers abound. Good luck next time!

Rich, not sure I will go back to the French. Just didn't seem that great to us, Nipissing though. Well, I've spent some good times there in my life. It feels kind of like my home away from home, if that makes since from a foreigner. I think I would live there if I had the chance.

Lew, I agree my heart was heavy hearing of the closing of Lakair. I've been fishing with the Cameron family since 1973 I believe. Back when Kevin's parents Wally and Hazel were running it. I really liked Wally, he was humorous and very soft spoken a true Gentleman for sure.

I hope the new Lakair is just as good, though it will never be the same.

I also agree about it being my most favorite place on this earth. My step dad and Uncle were over the road truckers, I got to ride with the during summer breaks. So I have been in every state in the United States and nothing holds a candle to my Love of the area around Nipissing.

Jeff

Thanks for the information porkpie.

I kept the two keepers for a couple meals here at home. I love eating them, though. We would be happy to catch a boat load of non keepers. Our trolling speed, dependent on the wind. Was between 1 to 1.5 couldn't get the 9.9 to idle down any lower. I was tempted to use a redneck drift sock ( 5 gallon bucket on a rope ) to slow us down. I did make several passes over the area we caught fish with no follow ups.

But we had fun non the less and I'm learning, that is the important thing. Gain more knowledge for my return trips, I figure if I learn something on each trip, I'm doing well.

Jeff

Just a lot of beautiful country up there. I think could spend the entire summer in that area. Winter .... hmmmmmm. May need to think about that one. Lot of folks from our neck of the woods travel up there. While at Mashkinonje, we met a few guys who may live about an hour or so from me. There's a reason a lot of us keep coming back year after year.

What a great report. You two did well and I'm impressed with Memquisit chasing you down for the refund. Good on Frank!!!

As for Lakair, I sure hope they have some weekly rentals, or even camping. Sure miss that place, but we did see the renovations taking place and it looks good!!

Nice Pickerel and that is a heck of a drum for sure :)

lunkerbasshunter, I wondered about the weather patterns affecting our fishing. Also there were mayflies all over the place.

Rod Caster, indeed it was a beauty was released to swim the French to grow even bigger.

Jeff