mid 90s evinrude 2 hp outboard help

bow slayer

picked up a 2 hp evinrude for the port a bote on the weekend. It is in excellent shape with little use but has sat for a very long time. Trying to start it has been a chore,seems like it is getting no gas. Gas shut off value is open choke on and yes fuel in the tank,but no start. Anyone has some suggestions or familar with these outboard. It is a direct drive motor.

I picked up a 2HP 1978 Johnson a couple of years back. It was problematic at first just like yours, but my friend and I took it apart and cleaned it up and it has ran well since then. I wish I could be more specific, but my buddy did most of the work!

Pull the carb, disassemble , clean...and put it back together the way it came a part. If there are any adjustment screws one trick is to count the turns IN until fully seated before you take them out that way when you re assemble they will be in the right ballpark .

After pulling for a while, see if the spark plug is wet and smells like gas.

You could put a few drops of mixed gas down the spark plug hole, replace the plug, pull, and it should run for a little while. This may suck fuel through but you're still likely going to have to look at the carb.

Edited by chris.brock

The jets on those are quite prone to plugging because they are so small. Screw them all the way in, counting the turns as you go a note the positions. Take them all the way out, wipe them off and put them back in. The upper one is the low speed and should be open about 2 turns. The bottom one is the high speed and should be open about 3/4 of a turn. I used to have to do this every so often but I put an inline fuel filter in and it's been good ever since.

Edited by G.mech

Once you get it running a can of seafoam is a great investment. Cleans fuel system and carbon deposits. Use a strong mix for more cleaning and a weaker one as a maintenance mix. Well worth it IMO. Many times that's all that is needed for a rough running engine instead of a carb kit or a trip to the shop.

Good luck with it. Cheers