Humpin' It Up Onto The Cheep. Report.

Moosebunk

Managed 3 outings this week.

Monday my buddy Gary joined me up on Wavy Creek for searuns. The morning high tide put us inside the river about 11am. Four other boats were trolling the waters but nobody was having much luck. I was sure of a couple hits while trolling a 1/4 oz white bucktail upriver. The jig just bumped along on bottom when finally a small brookie at about a foot took the offerring.

The fish had more color to it than the searuns seem too. Wasn’t sure but maybe it was a resident. Anyways, the bite shut down. Now the runs are pretty much done, and so ends another year of brookie fishing. Figured this years window may have been about 12 days and I was a little late to start because of obligations to seek walleye over the long weekend. Next year it won’t happen that way.

Tuesday morning I took off early to fish what I call the lower Moose River. The lower being the first 10km’s upriver of town as far as the mouth of the French, or tip of Bushy Island.

may24-17.jpg

On route up a lone beluga gave me a wink as it surfaced about 50 ft off the bow at 11 o’clock. The whale was on it’s way back to sea on the end of an outgoing tide.

Trying just above Bushy first I picked off a pair of small eyes. Here’s the one bigger little fish

may24-18.jpg

Finishing there a group of elementary school kids came up in 6 boats and all the kids lined up side by side along the tip of Bushy Island and fished. The teachers erected a large prospector tent and a huge teepee and got a fire going while a number of kids watched on as well. I took some time trolling out in front of them, far enough away so to not bother. Thought, what a great day outing for the kids. All about the outdoors.

Went over to the mouth of the French and deemed it unfishable for the time. Decided to venture up to the first rapids up the French. On route the rain started and when I reached the rapids a boat of 3 locals was there having no luck. I tried too, but nada.

By 1:00pm turned for home, and just when coming out the French I see a lone cow moose wading the rivers shallows and taking cover on an alder covered island once learning I was getting close.

Saturday. Knowing the lower wasn’t productive yet, the searuns done, it was figured the only shot at fish was to make a full day of it, beat the crap out of the motor and head way up the Moose. Dr. Rob Gabor was chomping at the bit all week to wet a line with me, so we planned to make a full day of it.

7:30 in the am while readying the boat a neighbor walks by and reports they must have opened the dam. Trees, logs, grass, debris is floating everywhere down river. This was not what we needed.

Launching the boat, water levels are notably about 7-8 feet higher, the water is chocolate milk, and if there was livestock around here I’m sure it would have been mooooing all the way while being swept to the Bay.

I tell Rob we’ll be lucky to catch a thing. But, on route, because the waters are so high, we fly up river. No rapids and shallows to drag through we make great time. I decide then we’ll head to the Cheepas River 32 km upriver from home, which is above the mouth of the Abitibi where all this water is coming from. What a great choice.

Easily get in the Cheepas as even it’s mouth is flooded out a little because of the raised levels, Rob and I stop at the first spot and are immediately rewarded with an eye.

They keep coming too. Jigs take a backseat to inlines, which, take a backseat to splitshotting, which is second to running a minnow under a float. Rob on his float takes what could have been a fantastic walleye but this spawned out female with a really big head was the most anorexic bodied eye I have ever seen caught. She was right on the recovery and exhausted quick.

cheepas02.jpg

But heck, Rob is loving this. We keep right on them until just after lunch but then the bite slows.

I pick up good numbers myself and some quality Cheepas River eyes. The fish on this river are good and healthy.

cheepas03.jpg

Sooo, Rob and I put the motor in shallow drive and navigate the skinny water and rock gardens to head 4km up to another spot I know. Once there, we’re right into them again. Not as many eyes but lots of snot rockets. Spinners and minnows under a float work great up there too. Rob gets himself a pike he believes he’ll keep for the table.

cheepas01.jpg

By 5pm, after about 7 hours of fishing, Rob and I have done well putting about 35 fish in the boat. We head to shore so I can cook up some fahitas and learn quick that we are now in blackfly season.

Ride home I burned the gas out of one tank and the motor stalls. Switch tanks then snap the pull cord in the middle of the river. Easy fix, I come to realize the recoil isn’t working, but luckily with just very short pulls the motor get’s going and I make it home in time to see my favorite team lay the beats to the cheap shotting Ducks.

Nice to finally have the walleye back. One full month we waited for them to get their butts off the spawn, the females this year must have been looking for a lot of extra foreplay.

Edited by Moosebunk

As always a pleasure to read your posts. I did my first ever camping trip this year near Timmins and loved it, Some day I may make it up to your neck of the woods the scenery looks amazing.

Edited by taper

Where there's a will there's a way, eh bud? Great report and great way to salvage your last trip!

Question for you: How come you're saying the sea runs are done for the year? I always thought they ran in late August/early Sept to spawn...

What's the deal with these James Bay fish, are they on a different timetable? Just curious...