Effects of a tournament on "the bite"

skdds

Does pre-fishing (and a then a tournament) have a great effect on fish in the lake for other anglers?

I was?/am? planning a trip to the huntsville area-Peninsula lake, the first week of June for some pike fishing and I noticed that there is a pike tournament on June 7th on Vernon, Peninusula, and Fairy Lakes. The rules for the tournament state no prefishing after the 4th of June.

Is that time lag to desensitize the fish so " the bite" is good for the tournament? If so, might I experience a tough bite if I am working the lake during those intermediate days as well, or are the lakes so big that a tournament and pre-fishing efforts are negligable and it should not make much of difference to me either way.?

Thanks guys,

Skdds

There are so many factors that might come into play. How many anglers? How many guys pre-fish? How large are the lakes? Were the fish even biting during the pre-fish? The best thing to do if your trip is already planned is to get out there and do your best to out fish those ones entered in the tournament. Maybe target the largest lake of the three. Most important is to have fun.

Don't sweet it. Get out fishing if you can. You probably won't notice a difference. You'll experience a tough bite more so from other factors like weather and some days fish are biting well regardless.

I'd say if it's a massive tourny then yeah, unfortunately it effects a lake (spots will get worked, fish caught/spooked and there will be less fish for you)... then maybe consider other options. Obviously smaller lakes are more effected. But if it's not a huge tourny and a big lake, doubt you will notice much effect from the tourny.

There are so many factors that might come into play. How many anglers? How many guys pre-fish? How large are the lakes? Were the fish even biting during the pre-fish? The best thing to do if your trip is already planned is to get out there and do your best to out fish those ones entered in the tournament. Maybe target the largest lake of the three. Most important is to have fun.

That seems like a good answer to me. Them having a tournament and the number of people fishing it are always a question? We don't have pike tournaments here so I have no idea on how large a crowd they draw.

Just from what little information I could find? Those lakes are all over 2000 acres? That would make them fairly large inland lakes here.

When does school let out? Will cottagers also be an issue?

All good points, I'll certainly get out there and work the lake and have a good time. The location is not definitive yet anyway. Not sure how big the tourney is but there is a lot of water. Mostly curious why there would be a bold rule about pre fishing finishing 2 days before the tournament...

Mostly locals use tournaments as excuse for their lack of skills.

Pike tournaments are the game from Gravenhurts north, so it will likely be well attended. The tourney guys don't need or want you to stop fishing.

It's one of the cool things. If you are leafs fan you never get to play at maple bud gardens. But you can fish every body of water the pros fish.

"pros", lol..... locals lack of skills, even bigger lol.

first thing real tournament anglers will tell you is locals have the biggest advantage as they know the water the best. That is the reason you cannot take a local out fishing before a tournament in the largest US bass events (each tournament series have different rules regarding "how" far back before the tournament).

Why fish a lake full of anglers fishing a tournament when you can fish hundreds of other beautiful lakes?

Edited by Steve

Just from a bass tournament point of view, prefishing can give you an advantage, and even with bass anglers the skill level varies, it's an effort to keep a level playing field? Closing the water for people fishing in a tournament for a couple - few days before a tournament can mean big changes in patterns, locations?

There are a lot of open bass tournaments here, some guys only seem to fish the ones on their home lakes, they should have an advantage over people that don't fish the lake frequently. Time on a particular body of water usually can help?

Not sure why they would close pre fishing a few days before the tourney. Competitors were pre fishing the recent Bassmaster Classic the day before it started but the lake they were on was HUGE. I mean massive with a million bays/arms etc.. Very sandy with not very much structure save for a few trees here and there. Since it was early in the season, they could run WOT to their marked spots.

anyways, fwiw, I wouldn't think there'd be much difference during the pre fishing days off so have at it and have fun !

The good guys winning tournaments just don't care what locals are doing. And if you think you can win just put your money in.

More to the point the easy fish will get picked off. Should a local guys stop fishing absolutely not . The pros don't deserve it and most don't want it.