08 merc 60hp efi plane and speed

shimano19

It has power trim, maybe I was to much over trimmed, and they are installed in the second or third hole

This statement doesn't sit well with me.

If you have power trim/tilt your motor should be set on the last (lowest) trim hole so you have full trim capabilities. Do this before spending a lot of money on a new prop.

I would still like to know what prop the OP has on his boat currently.

Diameter and pitch.

Not sure the diameter but the pitch is 13.

MisterG I got my boat second hand, the motor was mounted by the marina on the 3rd hold from the top. i can tilt the motor up and down by a button, when I start I trim all the way down, and the prop faces down slightly rather than horizontal

Not sure the diameter but the pitch is 13.

MisterG I got my boat second hand, the motor was mounted by the marina on the 3rd hold from the top. i can tilt the motor up and down by a button, when I start I trim all the way down, and the prop faces down slightly rather than horizontal

According to the prop chart I posted that prop should work properly.

Can you post a pic with the motor down looking @ the back of the boat?

It's possible the motor is not mounted high enough and causing too much drag.

With the motor straight up and down the cavitation plate should be about 1" below the bottom of the boat.

Take the pic from a low angle (cavitation plate height) so we can get a good look.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Yeah... motor mount to position the cavitation plate not being correct sure fits the symptoms being described to a tee. Prop pitch changes are a fine tune item about 200-300 RPM per inch of pitch change so not likely. Also, I had one coil pack go out so it was running on 3 cylinders on mine, same symptoms but running a bit rough which the OP might not detect as he has not had any experience with the motor running properly yet. It will start and run on three cylinders with no problems...

Yeah... motor mount to position the cavitation plate not being correct sure fits the symptoms being described to a tee. Prop pitch changes are a fine tune item about 200-300 RPM per inch of pitch change so not likely. Also, I had one coil pack go out so it was running on 3 cylinders on mine, same symptoms but running a bit rough which the OP might not detect as he has not had any experience with the motor running properly yet. It will start and run on three cylinders with no problems...

The coil pack thing could be another thing.

Had it happen with my new 115 when I installed it.

Motor ran great, started great, was smooth but wouldn't top out where I thought it should.

The problem was the on plug coil pack on the bottom cylinder was not properly plugged in so it wasn't firing.

I pulled the plugs one at a time to check how they looked. Top three looked normal grey/tan but the bottom was like clean and had never been fired. Made sure I pushed the connectors until a heard and felt a positive snap and the issue was resolved.

I'll check the plate and make sure the coils are plugged in correctly once I get home. Thanks

Do yourself a favour if the coils are plugged in properly check the plugs to make sure they have all been firing.

Could have a dead plug if it is not the coil connection.

I bought brand new plugs for my old engine once and had a dud.

Have the same engine on a Princecraft 164. Top speed about 32 mph, I never push mine past about 5000 rpm but it will go a little higher.

On plane in under 30 seconds with one or two people in the boat, a bit longer with 4 people depending on where they are sitting. Excellent engine, quiet and fuel efficient. Bought mine new and baby it a bit but love it to pieces.

Edited by Big Cliff

I'm thinking about doing that, I wonder if I'll get the same speeds with the 12. With the 11 if I adjust the tilt to sit level I can have it at WOT and just below 6000rpm. As I raise the tilt I will gain more rpm so I'd have to let off the throttle

It will drop rpms, and increase speed. Prop pitch is basically inches of boat travel per turn of prop. 12 pitch, 12" per turn......something like that anyways.

You were over propped with the original, now slightly under propped.

12P should be the sweet spot.

S.

Higher pitch generally results in faster speed but lower rpms. So if your maxed out at 6100 with the 11p but can still be in the optimal 5500 to 6000 with the 12p, you could get a bit higher top end.

That was my experience when I was experimenting with a 13p and 12p prop a year or two ago.

Handy link about pitch and rpm

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/propeller-tutorials/rpm/

Edited by Spooled