Father son doubler header

kickingfrog

Beautiful day.

DSCF2353_zpsdrttejdk.jpg

Back out today with my son. He had his first pike on while casting a rapala minnow, lost it at the boat but it sure got him excited.

IMAG1965_zpsv6blqo1q.jpg

Two trips in a row my brother lands the first fish and on a spook again.

IMAG1968_zpsuosnu191.jpg

My day didn't start as well as I would have hoped.

IMAG1969_zpsesxcrjjo.jpg

But it improved a little later. My son had a hit while trolling and as I reeled in my line I had a hit as well. Two pike landed and his first pike ever. I was more keen on the double header for his first pike then he was but I guess that what dads are for.

DSCF2365_zpsnt1nuobp.jpg

DSCF2371_zpsquyl9cnu.jpg

No bigger ones today, but no one in the boat was complaining. He was also proud to bring home food that the whole family ate.

DSCF2374_zpsy1txmocb.jpg

One little tip and the "jazz hands" were no more and his casting really improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSCjVj-D9zc&feature=youtu.be

He's six. A few weeks ago I posted a video of him casting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPyZJBsvOKE

It wasn't text book but it worked for him so I let it be. When he saw the video he said "What am I doing?" Yesterday he asked to see how I did it and that was it. He then started to ask lots of questions about the baitcasters that my brother and I were using. For now he just gets to use the baitcaster for trolling.

Lol thats awesome man. My kiddos were very similar at that age.

Its really cool hes asking you about it on his own. Most kids are a lil stubborn in there own ways till they learn on their own in my experience.

Hell probably have a baitcaster dialed in like a year lol

Hope you cleared that before an osprey laid eggs in it. :P

Nope, the fish were biting and that one was not likely untangle-able. I caught someone's line on my back cast and that one might go all the way to the middle. Not sure if I've had one that bad before. Reminds me that I need to go get it and see what I can do.

What method did you use to get it out Rob?

No specific technique. Just some patience and luck. Much easier sitting in the living room rather then the boat while fish are being caught.

Edited by kickingfrog

Sounds like a great day. Looks like your son's really gettin the hang of casting.

No specific technique. Just some patience and luck. Much easier sitting in the living room rather then the boat while fish are being caught.

Agreed. I'm thankful that I have a few rods now for that reason. Went out with my cousin on the weekend and he did that to 2 of my bait casters. I fixed one, then tried to fix another one for about 30 seconds before handing him another rod. I was amazed at how much easier and less stressful it was to fix them afterwards lol.