Algonquin Trip.....help a newbie out!

mgilmour83

Hey there folks. This is my first post and some help would be appreciated immensely!! I have a camping trip booked for the canada weekend for 4 days at Tea Lake in algonquin park. I am new to camping and even newer to fishing and I was hoping that some of you seasoned veterans could give me a few pointers as to my little expedition. I will be fishing Tea and Canoe lake in a canoe and I haven't much experience at all. Also has anyone here actually fished there, and, if so, is it good or not? Thanks to all in advance for your help!!

all of the lakes in algonquin along the highway 60 corridor contain small amounts of bass. Dont expect the other species of fish to come easy. Bass are your best bet.

cheap and easy, is a jig tipped with a soft plastic of some kind, like a grub or minnow. work your choice of lure around the rocky shorelines and weed beds. When I was a kid my parents took me to lake of two rivers and I used to take the canoe into the narrow weedy creeks and catch some pretty decent numbers of bass. Numbers, nothing trophy size.

Work the structure of the water with your lure, such as rocks, stumps and weed beds. My guess is you will get a few bass, although there is lake trout and brookies in canoe as well, I think. I have also caught perch and grass carp there.

This site may help you as well. Check out the fishing section and read the canoe trip reports that best match your own.

http://www.Algonquinadventures.com

Good luck.

Edited by Riparian

A couple of tips here

1. Bring a light tarp to Rain proof tent and as a Sun Shade ( Most tents will Leak)

2. Lots of Water (you'll be miserable if you have to conserve)

3. Bug jacket and lots of Repellent. ( Can easily ruin Camping if not prepared)

4 Bow saw is better than axe, and safer ( You don't need a huge Bonfire)

5. Head lamp is great for nite ( Leave it on your head you wont need to look for it)

6. Spinners and small plugs for fishing and if you use live bait worms work well. ( small is better)

7. Garbage bags to haul your garbage out, use as light Rain Gear, waterproof fire wood, sleeping bag and

cloths. ( Nothing worse than wet clothes and living in garbage, Only if your bored you can PU other

peoples trash (Pigs)

Have fun

Jigs are probably the most versatile baits to fish for almost any species. Keep an assortment of colours, jig weights, and body types. You can mimic almost anything using a jig with various combinations in your presentations. You can penetrate all depths of water, and they work well when the bite is up or down. To stay comfortable when camping, don't forget a good axe and keep some wood dry. For a wet weekend, it's good to rig a canopy high over the pit for continuous flame. A survival/first aid kit may save your weekend as well. And yes, lots of garbage bags and zip locks.

Enjoy!

Welcome aboard.

Make sure you bring ropes and lots of garbage bag to tie up garbages and uneaten food. The worst thing that could happen is have the raccoons eat all your food on the first night ... i've seen them during the day as well so be prepared.

Also bring some warm clothes, even though it's 30 degrees in the afternoon it can still get cool at night.

As far as fishing goes i have never tried there but tubes should be good with the smallmouth there.

Have fun!

Bringing lots of water is not a good ldea. With the added wieght and the volume it takes thier are other things you can bring. A water filtration system is small, light wieght and easy to use. Just in case a Camel Pack is a great container for your booze but save it for when your off the water. Food barrals are cheap and a good investment it can be used for storage as well, l will be using mine for storing camping stuff when its not in use. Do the world a favor and creat as little impact to the area and clean up after someone else and forgive them for what they have done (the lazzzzy aaaasssssssss's). Peace Ken

And welcome to an amazing place with great people.

Edited by bowshep

take booze or women..if everything else goes wrong, it won't be a completely wasted weekend ..........

both will make you forget your troubles for a while

but the next morning both will make you wish you didn't do it

ok so I'm no help

welcome to the board

Some good tips so far.

Welcome to the board.

Small spinnerbaits, tube jigs and spinners tipped with worm are the way to go. You could also bring along a couple of spoons, but I recommend switching any trebles over to a single siwash to reduce number of snags and corresponding lost lures and fishing time.

As stated, a tarp or two is as important as an axe. The flies up that way are hungry and nasty. Good bug spray is key. Careful not to get it on your fishing line.

If you want more information, there's a search feature and an endless amount of information to be found therein.

We will be looking forward to your report when you get back (full of pictures).

Do not take lots of water with you. If you don't want to invest in a good filtration system, buy the drops or pills. Worst case, boil your water.

Regarding your water supply when camping - trust me on this one as I've used all of the available methods (boiling, iodine pills, expensive water filters and finally ClO2 drops).

Hands down, the most convenient and inexpensive way to treat your water when camping is with the ClO2 drops.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....D=1181143674669

This product consists of two small bottles (weighs 175 g), one containing Chlorine Dioxide (ClO2) and the other contains a weak acid (phosphoric). You simply mix the appropriate number of drops from each into the cap of the bottle wait until the acid liberates the free chlorine and then add the mixture to your water. The result is water free of bacteria, viruses and protozoa without any offensive taste. The 60mL bottles will treat up to 240L of water so they will last you for many trips.

Water filters work just fine however they cost upwards of $100 and they require at least 15-20 minutes of constant manual pumping to collect 10L of water.

Edited by wallacio

I was up there last October, and was told that you can't use any of the wood in the park for firewood, even the dead wood. You have to buy it inside the park, I think. They don't want you to bring any wood-borne pests in from outside the park. Pretty restrictive, but understandable.

Wow, what an overwhelming response! I'm used to asking questions on forums and getting 1, maybe 2 replies. Thanks all for the good advice! Those drops for the water seem excellent, I may have to order them, or stop at MEC on my way up. Pictures will be posted after the trip. Until then I'll have to do some fishing locally and try and get better, because, as I said very new to fishing, in fact, the last time I fished prior to this year was when I was about 10, with my dad. So again, thanks for all of your pointers and wish me luck up there!

That is not exactly true. I belive you are not to use any of the fallen wood within the car camp grounds for obvious reasons. But, in the backcountry the rangers routinely cut wood around the campsites for trippers.

What is a tripper??

Canoe Lake has some HUGE smallmouth in it. I have caught numerous smallies around 5 lb in there.

Since the water is so clear up there, I recommend light to ultra-light gear with maximum 8 lb test (6 lb being the best choice).

The smallie's up there are quite aggressive and tend to school up, so once you find one, chances are you will find a bunch!

Small jig's, small spinnerbaits, and slug-go's (fished weightless) are my top 3 choices.

Just make sure you have your drag set loose, and hold on tight on tight to your rod!

Good luck!

Things for the camp kit. Pull cord rope comes on a small spool and has about 300yds on it and takes up very little space good of 90% of your rope needs and the real Duct Tape from 3M for anything. Used Duct tape for a crack in a wooden canoe had to change it every half hour but it got us home.

A tripper is you, a weekend trip, a week trip, a tripper, day trippers are hikers they are the one's that bring everything and never use it. Peace Ken

Edited by bowshep

take booze or women..if everything else goes wrong, it won't be a completely wasted weekend ..........

both will make you forget your troubles for a while

but the next morning both will make you wish you didn't do it

well at least the effect of the booze lasts longer... :clapping: