Fed Up

wkrp

I'm getting tired of being asked for a donation to some cause or charity at checkout and outside of certain retail stores. They also have the nerve to tell you how much they want you to give. It has gotten so bad that I am beginning to avoid those establishments. Rant over and out!

.....and then they try to "sell" you their credit card.

Nothing beats the typical exchange at the checkout: cashier - "Would you like to help the sick, dying, helpless children today by giving $1?" me - "Nope.". Lol, talk about an uncomfortable feeling.

What's even worse is what you often discover when you follow the money you donate. I rarely donate money these days and only after I am somewhat confident the money actually goes to where it's supposed to. Which, more often than not, it doesn't. I could go on and on about the various charities, but I think that might end up painting me as a monster :)

Edited by adempsey

I calmly explain the hypocracy of me donating to a tax write off for the company asking for the donation. If they ask everyone for a dollar and collect 1000.00 that day. We just allowed them to claim 1000 of charitable donations of their tax bill. A bill which contributes to the cost of running this country/province. So know the government has to find somebody to make up that shortfall and up go our taxes once again. So we get hit twice, DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO CHARITIES THROUGH OTHER COMPANIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Donate yourself and get a tax reciept.

I calmly explain the hypocracy of me donating to a tax write off for the company asking for the donation. If they ask everyone for a dollar and collect 1000.00 that day. We just allowed them to claim 1000 of charitable donations of their tax bill. A bill which contributes to the cost of running this country/province. So know the government has to find somebody to make up that shortfall and up go our taxes once again. So we get hit twice, DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO CHARITIES THROUGH OTHER COMPANIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Donate yourself and get a tax reciept.

BINGO - hit the nail on the head buddy. I love how Walmart brags about donating money to charities every year yet most of it comes from the donations of their customers! lol

I don't think they would be allowed to deduct the donations from customers on their taxes. They certainly shouldn't be able to do that.

I'm getting tired of being asked for a donation to some cause or charity at checkout and outside of certain retail stores. They also have the nerve to tell you how much they want you to give. It has gotten so bad that I am beginning to avoid those establishments. Rant over and out!

Print off a copy of a $1,000,000 bill and keep it in your wallet for such occasions. When asked just pull it out and ask if they can make change.

I, in return ask them to donate to the "Tim & Will Fund" and they don't so we're even Steven.

BTW the "Tim & Will" fund was the fund I used to raise and educate my 2 sons and I was the only one who ever put money in that fund..........so Walmart should follow my lead.

Well guys let me say this... as a retailer, remember that it's the cashiers job to ask. They don't want to .. but are forced to. So please don't take it out on them. It's the giant corporate brainstorm to have the stores collect the donations. We do it twice a year, hate it... but have to do it. Then they set targets for stores to hit to make it a competition so that stores that collect less look bad. And no one wants to look bad. Every penny we collect goes directly to the cause.

Well guys let me say this... as a retailer, remember that it's the cashiers job to ask. They don't want to .. but are forced to. So please don't take it out on them. It's the giant corporate brainstorm to have the stores collect the donations. We do it twice a year, hate it... but have to do it. Then they set targets for stores to hit to make it a competition so that stores that collect less look bad. And no one wants to look bad. Every penny we collect goes directly to the cause.

But if enough people complain you should pass that on to your bosses so this practice stops. Otherwise it will only get worse, if that is all possible.

At Cabelas, they always ask me if I want to round up to the nearest dollar to help support conservation and youth education. I always say yes because those are two causes I believe in. However, I must admit I have no idea where the money actually goes and what impact it has on Cabelas taxes. I don't sweat it .... if it helps out Cabelas come tax time, I'm fine with that. They are one of the last large retailers to openly promote and support hunting and fishing.

Someone said it earlier, but the I agree that the Salvation Army is an excellent place to donate. They push almost every penny donated downstream to the actual charities. Other organizations like Goodwill and United Way have MUCH lower ratios. I did a project on it in business school and it was sickening how much donated money never gets to the needy.

I am also subjected to the same treatment wherever I shop. I just take the high road and politely say " no thanks". It's that simple. I have found in my 30 years of retail that customers are extremely generous and a very small percent get upset over being asked.

Better than contributing to large organisations like the cancer society is to donate directly to the hospitals, or even the individual labs, that do the research. Less money gets used up on administrative costs.

I like this Dave. Have and will definitely consider doing it more as well. Other's should too.