Canadian Consensus

blaque

This may be a mistake to post this, but it is an honest and naive question. Ive read much of the Sens posts over the last few weeks and Im curious as to the origin of the lack of support the sens get from canada. I was up at Nippissing this past week and asked around alot about the series, etc......and the bait shop guys, the camp owner etc......said alot of that area were rooting for aneheim, and once the leafs are out, pretty much every season, if it isnt the leafs, most will root for their american favorites. Detroit, Chicago, teams close to teh border, .......whomever. Ive just noticed that there wasnt as much hooplah as i expected when going up last week about the sens in the finals, and Ive seen alot of posts with similair feelings from alot of you guys up north. Again.....just wonder where that comes from, this may get deleted before it begins........and if it does start an uproar, i apologize. But its just a question thats been diggin at me, and just seems too peculiar not to ask. To me anyway lol. And of course, im pretty much speaking to Canada here lol.......so what better place to pose the question. Admin. please delete if you foresee an issue with this question before it even starts. Obviously

I ask the question for many of us wondering the same here south of the border

One word...Alfredsson :lol:

Also, teams without a Canadian Captain will not win the Stanley Cup...at least it hasn't happened yet to date.

Niedermayer is Canadian ;)

Tony

Edited by tonyb

I think it is the same thing that is going on in Alberta. You like one team and hate the other. Here in Ontario, I believe there is more of a Leaf following than the sens. Here in TBay is the same story. Lots of people rooting for the Ducks. Same response everytime...More Canadaian content on the ducks as well as no Alferdson.

I was stuck on who to root for this year. As much as I want to see the cup on this side of the border, there is more Canadian content on the ducks. I have made up my mind and I am rooting for the team that looks like they are going to lose. Sens.

You can't win hockey games when you only show up for 1 period. And what the hell was Alfy thinkin when he shot the puck at Niedermyer. He pretty much guaranteed the Ducks would come out for the third, guns blazing and cylnders firing. I digress...

The Biggest and best reason is, that it is really easy to hate everything that comes out of OTTAWA, GO DUCKs GO, so funny how people say you should cheer for the Canadian team, well the fact is the Ducks have 19 Canadian boys sluggin away for the Ducks, so the cup will spend alot more time in Canada if the Ducks win.

It's hard I think for Leafs fans to get behind a winning team that put their own team to shame all season long.

Thing with the Leafs is they're generally a have not team. In that, they have not done much of anything in 40 years. The fans get used to the losing ways and disappointment, and find it difficult to root for the Sens team this year which was a good reason they did not succeed once again.

There will be those that differ of course. Lots of other excuses and opinions. They will be really good ones. Many have had decades of practice.

Hope that helps clarify things Blaque. :whistling:

if the leafs were in the finals you would see the greatest ratings of all time. Leaf fans are all over! whether you like it or not its true, look at the arenas when the leafs are in town.

What I would like to see is a toronto/vancouver final. That would really tick gary bettmen off lol.

As for Ottawa.....they bring it on themselves. I think alfie brings alot of bad press to the sens for his antics somtimes and his lack of playoff perfermance. (yes this year he has been good but people will remeber the shot at s. neidameyer more then his play)

The canadian team thing does not really have much weight if you think about it. The sens have 9 or 10 players that are canadian, the ducks have 17-18 that are canadian. So how many more canadian kids get to see the stanely cup this year in there hometowns if the ducks win?

Its not about being loyal to your country here. its just a game in the end.

Cheers!

I can't cheer for the Sens for a few reasons... I hate Alfredson... they play in Ottawa... and I hate Alfredson! Oh and did I mention that I hate Alfredson!

As a life long Leaf fan, I simply can't cheer for any of our main rivals! If you really want to see fans in a pickel, and I know it can't happen in the finals, but if Ottawa and Montreal were playing each other in the finals, I'd watch the Jays! Simply can't cheer for either of them... makes my Leaf blue blood boil!

HH

Oh yah, I hate Alfredson! :wallbash:

This all makes sense so far. I thought it might go deeper than just hockey though. Seemed Ottawa as a city in general gets kind of a cold shoulder, i thought the lack of Hockey support was just an extention of that. Thanks for the civil responses so far lol.

Hey Bunk - get used to it. Looks like you are in for a whole lot of years of nada too :) Welcome to hockey fan hell....

You know what, with Ottawa, it's simply alfredsson for me. On any other team, he isn't the captain. alfredsson has skills, but he has no heart and clearly no balls. I have never understood why he wears the C and I suspect after this preformance, Alfredsson is done in Ottawa. Which in all honesty, is the best thing for the Sens IMO. Fisher should be the captain, no doubt about it. Captains need heart and grit - motivate the team. Not a guy that clearly cost Ottawa game two and arguably cost Ottawa game 4. Yeah, he's a lot like Messier my @ss Muckler.

Muckler dumps Alfie, Signs Smyth and makes Fisher the new captain. Then you'll have the entire country behind that team, no doubt about it.

Sorta the same thing for football, Canadians like the CFL but I'd rather see a NFL team in Toronto, all the CFL players are Americans anyway, that didn't make the NFL, so is it really Canadian ? same for this case, there's more Canadians on the Ducks so it still shows we have the best players in the league and to cheer them on is patriotic.

Puckhead, i was confused when i saw your avatar, yet you seemed to be down on the sens. Then i looked closer and saw it was a sens netminder with a puck behind him LOL. Ive never noticed that before, i always caught it at a glimpse and thought you were a fan lol.

Edited by Blaque

As a life long Leaf fan, I simply can't cheer for any of our main rivals!

Put it this way, Would a Red Sox fan cheer for the Yankees to win the World Series just cause they're from the area? No way!

Would 49ers fans cheer for the Raider to win the Superbowl? No way!

Would Leafs fans in the 60's cheer for the Habs to win the cup? No way!

If anyone out there claiming to be a Leafs fan is cheering for the Sens, SHAME ON YOU!

It's just a rivalry thing nothing more.

Thing with the Leafs is they're generally a have not team. In that, they have not done much of anything in 40 years.

And for those Sens fans out there(not you Moosebunk) who like to dump this fact in the face of Leafs fans every year, As far as "have not teams" go, Ottawa was a "have not team" for 70+ years as in NOT HAVING A TEAM!

GO LEAFS GO! (next year) GO DUCKS GO (for now)

jjcanoe

Watching Alfie raise the cup would kill my interest in hockey!! Any team but Ottawa and hopefully Alfie hangs it up after failing to lead his team once again. Many other potential leaders on Ottawa (and did I mention would not dream of shooting the puck at any player - classless act that Alfie goof!)

I think it is not just a hate for Alfredson I think it is a hate for not only the sens but the Sens fans. There is only one thing a leaf fan hates more than rush hour traffic and thats a sens fan! The rivalry between the 2 teams goes way back!

Guest Trophymuskie

It has nothing to do with Hockey, all canadians are envious of Ottawa that's all. They just hate Ottawa because we're stuck with the government.

I know this will never happen but if it was the makebeliefs in the finals vs an American team they would get my support.

This may be a mistake to post this, but it is an honest and naive question. Ive read much of the Sens posts over the last few weeks and Im curious as to the origin of the lack of support the sens get from canada. I was up at Nippissing this past week and asked around alot about the series, etc......and the bait shop guys, the camp owner etc......said alot of that area were rooting for aneheim, and once the leafs are out, pretty much every season, if it isnt the leafs, most will root for their american favorites. Detroit, Chicago, teams close to teh border, .......whomever. Ive just noticed that there wasnt as much hooplah as i expected when going up last week about the sens in the finals, and Ive seen alot of posts with similair feelings from alot of you guys up north. Again.....just wonder where that comes from, this may get deleted before it begins........and if it does start an uproar, i apologize. But its just a question thats been diggin at me, and just seems too peculiar not to ask. To me anyway lol. And of course, im pretty much speaking to Canada here lol.......so what better place to pose the question. Admin. please delete if you foresee an issue with this question before it even starts. Obviously

I ask the question for many of us wondering the same here south of the border

You left out the Montreal Canadians. They are a Canadian Icon for many Notherners.

You said it Clamp-It. My second favorite team for sure. One Swede I loved to watch back when I was a kid, Mats Naslund. But, Carbonneau, Gainey, Robinson, Lafleur, Muller, Roy, .......who can argue with all the other greats that have played for the greatest Dynasty in any sport.

Go HABS Go.

I am all Canadian, But watching our National sport go to the dumps make me mad. There is too much politics and bleeding hearts that have infiltrated this place and hockey is one of them. People are crying about the fights, the aggression and lack of goals. So the league decides to penalize everything, just like the European leagues. ( Reminds me of Pickup games) My favorite team the Mtl Canadians, have gone European. They play like Europeans. Their Captain is European. Ive seen some horrible Trades and draft pick go for Europeans or that possible popular Franco.

Most of are Canadian teams are employing more Europeans than ever. It must be because they're cheaper is the only thing I could think of.

Now the Sens, They play like Europeans, Act like Europeans. And Alfred son has no Business being the Captain of any team. He even skated away from Niedermeyer after that stupid episode. What kind of Garbage is that we are now watching. The Sens are useless if they aren't on the power-play or if there is hitting. Have you ever been to Ottawa. Reminds me too much like Quebec, horrible drivers and the fans would jump ship for Mtl if they would ever have a hope in @@3334 of making the cup. But that would not happen for another decade unless they got rid of 3/4s of the team

Some of you guys are really harsh. Hate is a very strong word and we are talking hockey here are we not. I have to admit some of this talk really makes my blood boil. I do agree with some of the points made but HATE of sens fans and Ottawa is pretty small minded. I live here and was born here. I have also lived in Vancouver and Kansas city. I would not say disparaging things about someones home town unless I lived there and had valid reasons. I have been to Toronto many times in my life. I like going there but wouldnt live there because it is just to busy and huge.

As for Alfredson, I do agree that it looked intentional but whos to say and if it was then he should be ashamed of himself, it is a cowardly thing to do. Other than that he has been a very good person to this community. I do recall several different leaf players over the years commiting very stupid acts without thinking ( Tucker and the non spitting incident, Domi and many incidents) but these guys are passionate and people would love to have them on their team, myself included.

I also agree that if we had more north americans on the team we probably would be playing better, I just believe that if you are a canadian hockey player all you ever dreamed of was winning the stanley cup and if you have the chance you are damned sure going to give it everything you have and more. I think most Europeans and Russians would rather win a world cup and some are just here trying to cash in.

Anyway the better team is going to win this series and that is the ducks by far, they have played harder and dictated the play. They are forcing the sens to play their way and are dominating them. Maybe someday the sens will get another shot but I dont think it will be for a long time after this one.

At least they made it to the final. And if the leafs ever make it back to the final, I will cheer for them if they are the loan Canadian team.

I think the comments about the city are not right, just because it is the home of the government. Toronto is the home of the provincial government, so I guess we can hate Toronto for that? Seems kinda silly and high-schoolish to me.

Anyway this is just my opinion and I am sure I will get a bunch of flack for it, oh well I can live with it.

This is coming from a former Cleveland Browns fan so take it for what it is worth. It is probably not your team, the lesson was taught to us by the former owner. It is an organization (business) design to make money for that or those owners, the people that support the team mean little or nothing to them.

Through out the years Cleveland had one of the best attendance ranking in the NFL, was it enough for the owner? No, bad enough that he couldn`t make money off the team he wanted tax dollars for a new stadium. Get people emotional, rah-rah over a pro sport, everyone makes money but the fan.

About the only good thing it gets done is keeps some people off the water! LOL I never let a sport keep me from my sport, fishing. You can be a player too, go fish! Take ownership, boats, tackle, a cabin on a lake? You will be the owner!

Can't do it...I can't cheer the Sens

Its like cheering for your taxes...LOL

Can't stand Alfedson, And I thnk its absolutly & fundimentaly wrong to cheer for a rival team just cause My team is out.

Besides "WHEN" the Ducks win....

The Cup will spend more time in Canada anyway(more Canadian Players)

Is it unpatriotic to Cheer for Canadian players rather then Canadian Teams?...Not when its Ottawa IMO :P