If You Were Limited To One Question To Ask....

brw

If you had one question to ask a fellow walleye angler coming off a successful day on the lake (and assuming he/she was willing to answer), what would it be? Mine would be: :"At what depth were you catching your fish?" More than water temp, lure, lure color, etc, this one would be most valuable to me. Interested in others thoughts on this topic.

Cheers.

Can I have one for the pan please? To be serious here on Erie finding the depth suspending fish are is the easy part. They school in large numbers. Here I would ask what speed were you trolling at. Can we get a follow up question? Bait colour. There are days that one colour of the same body bait or harness will out fish other identical bait profiles by 100%. I had one Reef Runner with a purple back bring every fish in the boat, as soon as the thing was set bam, fish on, even before reaching the strike zone. I mean they were talking it to the first treble. We had 9 Reef Runners on between our 2 boats, that purple was the ticket. The next day anything with a perch pattern, next day it's Fire Tiger and only Fire Tiger. And I was told by an experienced fisherman fish are colour blind, not these ones. So I need 2 questions answered, both as equally important. One goes with the other for the fishing we do here.

I think depth is most critical. I find it a lot easier to figure where they should be, but just figuring out where the right "should be" is usually comes down to figuring out proper depth.

Either that or just pull out a map and say, "Where?" lol

"What's your pattern?"

You'll very quickly realise that the better fishermen know way more details than others. This also offers you the most opportunity to learn for yourself, and finding areas for yourself.

But of course, take words from other fishermen with a grain of salt. I don't think many people will be willing to share all these details with some random person at the launch.

Also, the definition of "a good day fishing" varies tremendously from person to person.

Edited by EasyFish