Its your fishery

fishdawg

<p>

I was at the Whitby meeting. The stocking will continue. There may be a few changes.

• Rainbow stocking in the east end of the lake will likely be stopped. Those fish seem to be dropping down the St. Lawrence river. The total number of bows will not change. More will be stocked further west.
  • The MNR is looking at modifying the brown trout stocking. Possibly concentrating the stocking into fewer locations. There is currently a lot of browns stocked (more brown trout are stocked than Chinook when meaured by weight) but few browns are targetted. The proposal to concentrate the stocking into few locations and create a few great fisheries instead of a mediocre fishery along the entire shoreline.
  • The Chinook target will increase from 540,000 to 600,000 fish.

Thanks for the info!

S.

chessy, I think you may not be understanding my view point.

First, if I catch a steelhead in the lake I keep it for my smoker unless it's too small.

Second, I am referring to S/S stream guy who always seems to have "their" opinion on how others should not keep fish, etc.........and then become angry when others don't do as they think.

That's all I'm saying :)

The lake guys are mostly clueless when it comes to anything upstream of the harbour. Most river guys know what it takes to make a great fishery. But dont mistake anger for passion. The fishery could be amazing if it wasn't for the politics that come from the MNR. If the fishery was handled properly, harvest rates could be increased, not decreased.

Thank you, you just made my point in spades.

Your point has no merit.

I have no problem with harvest. I encourage selective harvest. I encourage proper fish handling.

Steve, maybe the river anglers you associate with do that but the one's I fish with do not. You need to help educate to help the fishery not paint everyone with the same brush. Thats why I said most lake guys are clueless about river fishing. Maybe you don't know that much about the rivers. :whistling:

Your point has no merit.

I have no problem with harvest. I encourage selective harvest. I encourage proper fish handling.

Steve, maybe the river anglers you associate with do that but the one's I fish with do not. You need to help educate to help the fishery not paint everyone with the same brush. Thats why I said most lake guys are clueless about river fishing. Maybe you don't know that much about the rivers. :whistling:

OK, whatever river guy says must be true.....LOL

Hope you have a good season.

no, i don't know much about rivers....

seeing guys flossing fish, standing shoulder to shoulder, breaking rules with respect to private property, snagging fish, raping fish for spawn, using said spawn to rape further fish, oh, and don't forget, fighting powerful fish in 2' of water in pools 15' in length.....

ya, i saw what the rivers had to offer....and decided to be a clueless lake fisherman.

no, i don't know much about rivers....

seeing guys flossing fish, standing shoulder to shoulder, breaking rules with respect to private property, snagging fish, raping fish for spawn, using said spawn to rape further fish, oh, and don't forget, fighting powerful fish in 2' of water in pools 15' in length.....

ya, i saw what the rivers had to offer....and decided to be a clueless lake fisherman.

Your image or idea of river fishing is narrow minded. Fishing a river for salmon or trout is an amazing experience. If you focus your attention on the wrong do'ers, then you will never understand what it really has to offer. There are unethical anglers everywhere unfortunately, but all you can do his help the situation, not turn a blind eye.

OK, whatever river guy says must be true.....LOL

Hope you have a good season.

By your response it shows me that you know very little about the dynamics of tributaries and how important they are in the health and population of fish in the Great Lakes. Just because I want to see positive change does not mean I am angry. I want to see people enjoy themselves, fish ethically and give back to the resource. Do you give back to your resource? Or just sit on the computer and flame those who care.

By your response it shows me that you know very little about the dynamics of tributaries and how important they are in the health and population of fish in the Great Lakes. Just because I want to see positive change does not mean I am angry. I want to see people enjoy themselves, fish ethically and give back to the resource. Do you give back to your resource? Or just sit on the computer and flame those who care.

Actually I cut my teeth fishing with my dad on streams when you were only a twinkle in your dads eyes. So please don't preach to me about fishing / angling ethics.

It's people like you that I gave up stream/river fishing to enjoy the solitude of the many lakes we have to choose from. But I guess you can't help yourself being S/S stream/river guy so I forgive you it's in your nature.

Edited by Mister G

The south shore has a number of locations that would be good...

really, as I understand they are looking at the west end / south shore, Bronte, Hamilton, Jordan, Dalhousie, and Niagara River - five great spots.

I love fishing browns. increased localized stocking should make for an improved fishery.

It'll be time to shut this one down. The thread is taking a less than respectful turn. Thanks.

It,s threads like this that make me thankful I bush wack and find no other soul on the river. I have had my days of the crowds dont get me wrong. I like what I have now. Took me a few dozen years,but well worth it brudder. :)

Actually I cut my teeth fishing with my dad on streams when you were only a twinkle in your dads eyes. So please don't preach to me about fishing / angling ethics.

It's people like you that I gave up stream/river fishing to enjoy the solitude of the many lakes we have to choose from. But I guess you can't help yourself being S/S stream/river guy so I forgive you it's in your nature.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Young and old people abuse the fishery so please spare me the old man speech.

Maybe the rivers you fished brought out the worst in people. I enjoy fishing with everyone I pass by on the rivers. Share a drift a chat and move on down. And I do own a boat, and fish Lake Ontario and know quite a bit about Lake Ontario and its tributaries. Im just trying to make it better.

As for Steve's comments, Browns should be stocked where natural reproduction does not take place. So anywhere from Hamilton Harbour down to Niagara is best. And alternating sites from year to year as well. But keep in mind, the browns will always migrate down to Niagara and to the NY side of the lake to feed where they all do. Its not stocking, its nature. Warm water flows out and to the east of Niagara. Thats where the bait is and thats where ALL the fish go.

I will never understand why the river guys and the lake guys cant just unite and make one huge powerful group. They are the same fish!!! Saying the lake guys are clueless is laughable at best...just walk the rivers in early oct and see how many clueless people you see fishing. Now, take a cruise out on a great lake and see who is clueless. Im talking about actually catching fish here. Great lakes fish at least have to bite before you can catch them.

Anyways, i'd say this thread will be locked in a few anyways, so i'll just bite my tongue.

I havent caught a brown for years. Send some this way, or take me fishing Steve :)

S.

As for Steve's comments, Browns should be stocked where natural reproduction does not take place. So anywhere from Hamilton Harbour down to Niagara is best. And alternating sites from year to year as well. But keep in mind, the browns will always migrate down to Niagara and to the NY side of the lake to feed where they all do. Its not stocking, its nature. Warm water flows out and to the east of Niagara. Thats where the bait is and thats where ALL the fish go.

Actually, browns tend to stick to one area. They don't migrate around the lake like salmon and steel head do. The south shore has a lot of browns because they get a lot of stocking on the south shore.

That is why the MNR is proposing that they concentrate the fishing into few locations. They are trying to create great fisheries in a few locations instead of a mediocre fisher along the entire shore line. That will only work if the browns stick to the areas in which they are stocked.

Edited by JohnBacon

Browns are on the south shore because of the warm water, plain and simple. The four sisters is a perfect example as is Pickering Nuke Plant (there wasn't much stocking going on at the four sisters), but Browns found the warm water at the four sisters and it provided them food which provided a fishery. When the four sisters stopped discharging warm water, the browns left. Explain otherwise???

Find warm water and browns will be there regardless of stocking. Browns are opportunistic feeders, where there is bait, browns will be there.

Lake Erie warms and discharges into Lake Ontario via the Niagara River, Welland Canal and Port Dalhousie. The warm water attracts bait and the browns follow. Thats why there are Browns there. The south shore of Lake Ontario receives some of this warm water discharge from lake Erie but the majority goes over to the NY side (watch satellite imagery occasionally and you'll see). When its blown across the south shoreline, the browns will migrate up all the way toward Hamilton Harbour and close to Bronte.

The only true way to keep Browns in an area is to imprint them into a river and capture them there or around the piers during their migration to spawn. Other than that, dumping off of break walls or harbours will not keep them there. Its not rocket science guys, its nature. Fish are simple creatures to figure out.

My point is, you can stock more browns, but they will migrate to the water that offers the most food which is on the US side of the south shore.

Actually, browns tend to stick to one area. They don't migrate around the lake like salmon and steel head do. The south shore has a lot of browns because they get a lot of stocking on the south shore.

That is why the MNR is proposing that they concentrate the fishing into few locations. They are trying to create great fisheries in a few locations instead of a mediocre fisher along the entire shore line. That will only work if the browns stick to the areas in which they are stocked.

So where are all the Browns going that are currently being stocked off the break walls on the North Shore year after year? Shouldn't there be a fishery after all these years of stocking? Sorry, they migrate to better waters. Not sure where you get your information or science from.

Not sure where you get your information or science from.

My information about browns sticking close to their stocking locations come direct from the MNR bioligists. They are under the impression that browns stick close to their stocking locations. If you have information to the contrary, I am sure that they would interested in hear it.

So where are all the Browns going that are currently being stocked off the break walls on the North Shore year after year? Shouldn't there be a fishery after all these years of stocking?

They are there; they just aren't targetted as much as salmon and steelhead. E.g. Bluffers gets lots of browns; but not a lot of people fishing for them.

There is a fishery for browns along the north shore. Bluffers Park has lots of browns, they just aren't targetted.