A home under the snow ??

lew

I was cleaning up in the yard yesterday after some of the snow melted and and came across this.

It's 6" wide at the base, 5" high and perfectly round and a week ago would have been under 2' of snow.

I can only guess some little critter has tunneled under the snow and used the grass he found there to build himself a winter home, maybe a mouse or vole ??

Anyone know for sure ??

002_1.jpg

001_2.jpg

I've been doing a bit of reading this morning and it seems as if both mice & voles will burrow under the snow and build a nest to live in.

Still plenty of snow around here, infact we got another inch over night and it's still snowing now, but I'm gonna pay close attention to the ground when it melts.

Never had an issue before and hopefully it's not starting now.

Edited by lew

Ever resourceful our four legged friends :)

You have to give them credit for how they survive the brutal winters around here but I spose they've had a few million years...or whatever...to figure out what to do.

Thanks for the link msp that was great.

I watched a fox run across my front lawn awhile back and grab & kill a squirrel before the little guy even knew what was happening.

Maybe it's time to recruit him LOL

We have a cottentail living in the bushes beside our house and sometimes under our deck.

I've been feeding it all our vegetable scraps (and a few bags of carrots when Sue isn't looking LOL). It has gotten so tame that now it will let me go and put food in the pile for it while it sits a few feet away. This morning I went out to add to the food pile and there are coyote tracks all over the yard. Sure hope it didn't get the rabbit!