Saunas

muskymatt

I'm thinking of building an outdoor sauna. I've seen electric and wood burning heating units. I would sauna every day and am concerned about $$$ if I go electric. Any cost to run it feedback would be awesome.

I'll definitely be going full cedar and build it to accommodate 4 people.

Any pics or style recommendations are welcome.

I've built a couple chinkless log saunas but that was 30 years ago and I don't think I'll get into that now lol

Thanks

Electric just does not work right. The heat is different, and I know very few electric saunas that reach ideal sauna temperatures (by Finnish standards). Nothing like that good wood stove buried under a mound of hot rocks when the water hits it.

I hope you are building a 2 bench style of upper and lower bench. Upper bench for those that can take the heat. Lower bench for those less hardened.

Yes, definitely a two tier seating for pros and amateurs. If I go wood, I'll likely go with a sauna structure outside as opposed to electric inside. Wood would obviously increase the cost.

I like the idea of wood outside just for the winter aspect.

Yes, definitely a two tier seating for pros and amateurs. If I go wood, I'll likely go with a sauna structure outside as opposed to electric inside. Wood would obviously increase the cost.

I like the idea of wood outside just for the winter aspect.

Yes there is more construction cost, but that is more than offset on heating costs. Wood is as cheap as you want it to be as a fuel. Hydro heaters are anything but a cheap heat. They take longer to build heat and don't hold it as well, nor do they hit the higher temps desirable for producing a heavy steam. Further, under heavy use, an electric sauna heater does not have as long a life expectancy as the wood stove.

I've had experience with both...

Wood burning - We made one of these for very low cost building the structure, then inserted a oil drum in the bottom corner with a door where you could load in wood from the outside. We then cut a hole in the top of the barrell and ran a chimney through the roof. We lined it with cedar and built a box around the barrel on the inside and filled it with rocks. The way it would work is you would light the fire, the rocks would heat up inside and you throw water on the rocks. I LOVED this sauna and it got extremely hot!

Infrared - Not as nice as the wood burning but great for one or two people and starts up at the press of a button. The one feature I really liked was that because it's infrared, it's not heating the air in the sauna but instead matter (i.e. you). In regular saunas it can be hard to breath at times but not in these ones. It's said that the infred penetrates deeper into your tissue, releaseing more toxins, but not sure if this is true or just a great selling feature.

When you get that sauna up to that desired optimum of 200F, you just toss 2 cups of water on those rocks. Your pores will explode. You only stay in for 60 seconds and hit the cold. Then you go back and do the long steam and wash.

When you get that sauna up to that desired optimum of 200F, you just toss 2 cups of water on those rocks. Your pores will explode. You only stay in for 60 seconds and hit the cold. Then you go back and do the long steam and wash.

We used to do that on the shores of the Mattawa river back in the early 80's. Sauna, snow, sauna! was awesome.

Being a Fin, I have had both wood and electric sauna stoves. Electric is slow, does not heat up as hot and is hard on your electric bill. It is also hard to find an electric stove that you can safely put water on the rocks. If you can't put water on the rocks then it is not a sauna. You can regulate the heat with a wood stove by the amount and type of wood you put in, also by the air draft. Wood stove is the way to go and get a hot water tank attachment.

And nothing makes you feel as clean as a wash with real sauna saippua followed by a good steam. Before we had running water in 1970 we had sauna. Even after the running water was put in we would always go for the sauna instead of a shower. The family sauna held 8 at a sitting with 3 benches. It sat on a ledge hanging over the lake with a dive door from the sauna to the water Beside the sauna was a screened sunporch to relax and take in the sunsets after a good sauna. It was a huge Sunday ritual.

I have not used real sauna soap for a long time but remember it. My parents use a birch vasta in the sauna but I did not care for it. Nothing like a cold swim after a hot sauna, even in January. Make sure your ticker is still good before trying this. A Sauna is a great way to relax and keep clean up at the cottage or anywhere you can have one.

I have not used real sauna soap for a long time but remember it. My parents use a birch vasta in the sauna but I did not care for it.

Used to get it from the old Suomi Aitta in Toronto. Can only get it by mail order now. Our family always used a loofah sponge for scouring the skin.

That's OK Lew, you need a certain amount of "sisu" to truly appreciate the qualities of a good sauna

Kyllä, joo, yes. Definitely need a little sisu to appreciate...

And make sure the snow does not have a crust on it. Trust me.

Sauna was the first building erected on most Finnish farms. Served as a shelter, cleaning area, even a birthing room.

I have been searching for a natural gas or even propane kiuas (sauna stove) without success to this point. Several mambers of my household have asthma and the woodsmoke would bother them. I don't like the electrics, either.