US exchange rate and BPS online

Shloim

Hi I was thinking Id save some time and order some stuff from BPS online. But once id factored in exchange and read the small print on the shipping. It was no deal at all... Anyone find out the same? The one thing I wanted was an auto inflating life jacket/ vest and if I cant get to the store ill either pay full price or do without it until the next sale. On line it was $79.99 + 27.99 Shipping and then the exchange. It worked out to be more expensive than just buying it in store at the regular price.Thats crap IMO!

Sheldon

Looks like they are offering free shipping over $25. They have these promotions frequently...

Edit: looks like free shipping doesn't apply to inflatable vests (Hazardous material)

Maybe try LeBaron. They had the best prices back when I was looking.

Edited by Wolf 3

I just ordered a cheap 7' rod from them. On sale for $29.97. It was during a recent "free shipping when you spend more than $25.00 special". Because it was a rod, they tacked on and extra 4-5 dollars with the $3.50 brokerage fee. It came to $40.00 US total. I hope to see it soon. I would expect it to cost about 50-55 dollars Canadian. I still consider it worthwhile as I get a new rod for that money without leaving the house. ( I know, makes it tough for the local retailers.) I purchased a smoker about a year or two ago when the dollar was about par. Free shipping. It came in a box about 3' by 4'. I don't know how they can afford to ship something that big for free. They must have a deal of some kind with the shipper. You can't really go wrong with the Bass Pro free shipping offers. You just have to wait for them. And you can use any Bass Pro gift cards towards the purchase too. I wish Cabela's offered the same deal to Canada. Even the Canadian Cabela's site doesn't match up to the Bass Pro free shipping offers.

Maybe try LeBaron. They had the best prices back when I was looking.

I ordered my inflatable from LeBaron a couple years ago and the service was excellent. It came from Montreal to my house in a couple days and I don't recall the shipping rate but I don't think it was excessive.

Edited by lew

Can anyone hazard a guess or know why BPS website is in USD? I got stuck last year. After reading the sale price on their website I drove to BPS off the 400 to find out the item was actually $40.00 more. At todays exchange rate it would be wise to crunch the numbers before putting in an order. As I mentioned in the Cabella's thread I'm sure BPS can have a Canadian website. Won't be buying anything from BPS in the future, for sure.

Buy in Canada. I know many products are not produced here but a retailer on Canadian soil employs Canuck residents from the construction of the building to the person collecting shopping carts.

Last time I tried to order an inflatable vest on a US site (think it was BPS), they said they couldn't ship across the border because of the CO2 cartridge, it's classified as dangerous goods.

That's interesting because it's limited quantity....

For example... Shipping a gallon pail of lighter fluid would be classified dangerous goods... But I can ship 20 cases of lighters full if lighter fluid and they are no longer considered dangerous goods...

That's interesting because it's limited quantity....

For example... Shipping a gallon pail of lighter fluid would be classified dangerous goods... But I can ship 20 cases of lighters full if lighter fluid and they are no longer considered dangerous goods...

I'm not sure but I think the issue is the fact that the CO2 cartridges are compressed gas rather than flammable.

As mentioned the exchange rate means if you want the best deal, you have to factor everything in. In the past when our $'s were closer a lot of times it was much cheaper for me to order things from Cabelas.com vs Cableas.ca and it was almost always cheaper to order from Bass Pro.com than to pay the gas for the 2hr drive to the closest Canadian store and I didn't have to sit in traffic around the big smoke nightmare.

The close out deals online from the U.S. with the free shipping to Canada almost always make an item much much cheaper than you get that at either store in Canada from my experience.

That being said as Lew mentioned, if you can navigate LeBarons prehistoric website their pricing and shipping is usually pretty competitive especially if like me you don't want that 2hr drive to any of the locations.

P.S. just after posting every ad I am seeing on any website is from Bass Pro LOL

Edited by Canuck2fan

Saw on the news where some money folks are thinking the Canadian dollar will drop to $0.69 in the next little while.

I don't expect that to happen because the Canadian dollar has a big base on the price of oil and that party (dropping oil prices) has come to an end.

But then again, WHO really knows, just like the stock market. Sometimes nothing makes sense.

Try here: http://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Company-Inflatable-Personal-Floatation/dp/B00EVIOYWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425125623&sr=8-1&keywords=inflatable+pfd

While I prefer to support my local tackle shop, sometimes you can't beat the deals that show up on Amazon. Put it on your watch list and you will get an email when they go on sale. I have made some pretty good scores by just being patient.

for instance, just picked a pair of these up for $50.00 a piece - http://www.amazon.ca/Cannon-Pedestal-Mount-track-18-Inch/dp/B001M5TFB2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qaid=1425125969&sr=1-1&keywords=Cannon+Pedestal+Mount+track%2C+18-Inch hard to beat that, especially when you consider you don't have to burn any gas getting to BPS. (make sure you're on Amazon.ca, not Amaxon.com)

As for BPS - they wont be getting anymore of my money after some of the quality of their product have shown their true qualities over time.

Ordering anything from the US will almost always incur all kinds of brokerage and other fees by the time it gets to you.

Mike R, I have to respectfully disagree with you. What about Cabellas.com vs Cabellas.ca. They are based out of the states as well.

As Don Michael Corleone said " Once your in you can't get out."

Cabelas bought SIR (I believe that was the name) in Canada... They took over for that company that was already established in Canada... (As far as I know)

So with Cabelaa it was more of an acquisition of an established company... business model... Etc... vs a growth into a new country like BPS...

Mike R, I have to respectfully disagree with you. What about Cabellas.com vs Cabellas.ca. They are based out of the states as well.

As Don Michael Corleone said " Once your in you can't get out."

cabelas has canadian distribution,bps on the other hand is from us.....but i have talked to a bps rep and he said bps should have cad distribution by next summer

I downloaded Adblock a few days ago and no longer see any ads like you seeing now.

I actually don't mind the ads I see because they do help fund websites like this one, and once in a million visits they do offer something I might want LOL.

I do however hate when ad videos start playing when a page loads so I have shut that feature off.

Some sites though are so bad because they have 6 to 10 ads loading at a time, those sites I just stop going to.