musky rods and reels

Lunatic

I dont ice fish so i try to stay away from anything fishing related during the winter (out of sight,out of mind) but the itch is growing...

in the fall last year,i started to fish for musky using undersized gear i use for pike so its time to get the proper setup. so i thought id research a bit and maybe pick up something when bass pro has their spring classic.

what gear is everyone using here for musky?

i wont be going too crazy,so my budget will probably be in the 160/160 range rod/reel

anyone use 13 fishing rods?

A good all-purpose musky rod is an 8 foot heavy action rated for 2-6 ounces. You could likely get an Okuma, Shimano, or Tackle Industries in your range. All are good solid rods.

I'm not sure what the best reels are in your range. I use an Abu Revo Toro and love it but is likely outside that budget.. Also have a C3 6501 as a starter/backup reel and it has served me well over the years.

I'm not sure what the best reels are in your range. I use an Abu Revo Toro and love it but is likely outside that budget.. Also have a C3 6501 as a starter/backup reel and it has served me well over the years.

I just bought a C3 6501 as per Fisherpete's suggestion.

St croix premier or tackle industries 8ft plus rod XH and revo winch or Calcutta B. Scower the classifieds and try to find them used as that will keep costs down.

I've picked up lots of musky gear from the classifieds at great prices

If its a do-all set up and you plan on some trolling with a rod holder a clicker is a must. An Abu C3 is a good choice. As Cram stated a good choice of rod would be an 8 foot 2-6 oz. Definitely watch the classifieds, you'll get a nicer combo for the $320 if you buy used.

Muskie Odyssey....April 25th!

I would see if you can find a used St. croix premier in the 8' range as others have mentioned. Heavy or Extra heavy, 2-6oz. If you get lucky you might find one in the $100-120 range. I would spend the extra $ on the reel. If buying new, an Abu c3 6500 is really the only one in your budget, but as Greg mentioned if you can try find an Abu Garcia Revo Toro winch (60 size). I've seen them as low as $225-250. Bump up your budget slightly and you will be able to pick up a pretty high end combo.

just brought back an unused C4 6501 (left hand) if you're interested. ...pretty much identical to C3 except for an extra bearing and slightly faster gear ratio. I think the gears in most reels from this line are interchangeable anyways. the box might not be here, but i could bring it back to ontario another time.

When putting together this tackle, remember that everything needs to balance.

What weight baits do you expect to use?...If you are throwing 1 ounce baits using a 2-6 rod it's going to wear you out!

Will you be using Jerk or glide type baits?...Long rods are in style. They will cast a little farther...Which is fine if you fish with your rod tip up. However, if you are working a jerk bait, like a sledge, your 8 ft rod will splash in the water, scaring the fish if you're not 7 feet tall.

My personal favourite was a St.Croix 7ft Premier rated for 1-3 oz. It would throw a big weighted bucktail, a 1.5 or 2 oz. Spinnerbait or fish an 8 inch Sledge with equal ease.

Abu C3's are okay reels to start with. They need oil on the worm gear that drives the level wind, almost every time you use them. If you fail to oil them regularly, the pall that reverses the level wind will wear out and stop working.

It is very important to balance the reel to the rod. If you put a 6000 serie reel on a 2-6 oz rod they will work well together. If you put the same reel on a bass crank bait rod or a flipping stick, it will be top heavy and will be a pain in the butt to use.

In my not so humble opinion, any right-hand person who uses a left hand casting reel is handicapping themselves.

Look at any article on Bait Casting and you will see that the reel is supposed to be tilted on its side with the crank hand facing up and away at about a 45 or 50 degree angle during the cast. This is to allow your wrist to bend properly...If you ever had Tennis lessons you will know what I'm talking about.

That said, feel free to listen to those who are smarter than all the reel designers.

Edited by garry2rs

In my not so humble opinion, any right-hand person who uses a left hand casting reel is handicapping themselves.

Look at any article on Bait Casting and you will see that the reel is supposed to be tilted on its side with the crank hand facing up and away at about a 45 or 50 degree angle during the cast. This is to allow your wrist to bend properly...If you ever had Tennis lessons you will know what I'm talking about.

That said, feel free to listen to those who are smarter than all the reel designers.

Wouldn't the same logic apply to spinning reels as well? In some countries it is standard to reel with your right hand on every reel, why do we have a difference in North America?

In my humble opinion baitcasters are predominantly right handed because that became the industry standard. I am a proud lefty, and not only do I not feel the discomfort after fishing, I also think that having my most powerful arm on the rod is advantageous when musky fishing. I am no reel designer, but I know at least one prominent musky angler who agrees with me.

I also like this debate, and am aware that both sides have points and counterpoints, and dismissing one side is ignoring some compelling evidence. in my opinion it is a preference, nothing more, and claiming otherwise is pretentious.

In my humble opinion baitcasters are predominantly right handed because that became the industry standard. I am a proud lefty, and not only do I not feel the discomfort after fishing, I also think that having my most powerful arm on the rod is advantageous when musky fishing. I am no reel designer, but I know at least one prominent musky angler who agrees with me.

When your riding a bike you get on from whatever side feels best and casting is exactly the same, you cast whatever way is best and most comfortable to YOU.

With the exception of possibly 2 or 3 people, I've been using a bait caster longer than anyone on this board and I'm pretty darned good at it too,

I'm right handed and cast with my right hand on the reel. I then switch and hold the rod with my left hand and crank with my right. It's worked great for me for many many years yet some folks will still tell me I'm doing it wrong.

If it works for YOU...your doing it right.

If your looking for a all around rod I like a 8' XH also it will not break your back casting big blades and you can still work jerk baits (like Gary said a 7 is the best for jerk baits) but your after a all around rod that's why I suggest 8' to get started with. The Abu NACL is a great reel as is the Abu Toto winch 60 both would work good for you. I know the reel will be over $160 but I'm sure if you find a good rod used you will save enough to buy a new reel.

For your line if your casting I suggest 100lbs braid line.

When your riding a bike you get on from whatever side feels best and casting is exactly the same, you cast whatever way is best and most comfortable to YOU.

With the exception of possibly 2 or 3 people, I've been using a bait caster longer than anyone on this board and I'm pretty darned good at it too,

I'm right handed and cast with my right hand on the reel. I then switch and hold the rod with my left hand and crank with my right. It's worked great for me for many many years yet some folks will still tell me I'm doing it wrong.

If it works for YOU...your doing it right.

That's exactly what I do Lew, works for me :)

8' heavy... You can get a at croix mojo musky rod in that price range... That'll troll or cast just fine...

As for a reel... Most of the round reels out there can get by... The red Abu 7000 reels are pretty cool but a bit bulky... They're around $200...

If anything id go cheaper on the rod to try and free up funds for a better reel...

You can get a good used rod for around $100... Musky rods seam to last forever...

Wouldn't the same logic apply to spinning reels as well? In some countries it is standard to reel with your right hand on every reel, why do we have a difference in North America?

I also like this debate, and am aware that both sides have points and counterpoints, and dismissing one side is ignoring some compelling evidence. in my opinion it is a preference, nothing more, and claiming otherwise is pretentious.

There was no pretension intended, there are sound mechanical reasons for what I said. Beyond that, I don't really care how or why you want to handicap yourself, it doesn't affect me.

However, I do think it's wrong to encourage a newbie to copy the mistake. I suspect that someone else suggested to you, that a lefty was the way to go, before you knew better. If you started Right and switched that's your business, if not, someone did you a disservice.

The convention is to mount a horse from the left. This might have been a military thing, to have everyone doing it the same way. There are no left handed bicycles. There are left handed reels, golf clubs, baseball gloves and hockey sticks and if you think they suit you better, go with it.

The red Abu 7000 reels are pretty cool but a bit bulky... They're around $200...

That's what I use for burning big baits really fast and working jerk / twitch baits as it takes up line very quickly. Certainly not a quality reel but it sure gets the job done for certain applications.

It's big & bulky but is still very comfortable for using all day.

It'll also work well as a 2nd trolling reel.