Rapala Shadow Rap

Garry2Rs

No scatter rap, but I did find a bunch of clackin raps in a clearance bin at canadian tire last winter (wonder if it was a mistake?). I got em for $6 each, and absolutely pounded pike, smallmouth and even quite a few pickerel on them. Quality bait , but I think full price is close to $14. To rich for my blood! Hopefully l'll be able to make the half doz I bought last. I'm even using them through the ice. I see they came out with a clacking rap stick bait now. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some of them in a clearance bin$

Edited by porkpie

No scatter rap, but I did find a bunch of clackin raps in a clearance bin at canadian tire last winter (wonder if it was a mistake?). I got em for $6 each, and absolutely pounded pike, smallmouth and even quite a few pickerel on them. Quality bait , but I think full price is close to $14. To rich for my blood! Hopefully l'll be able to make the half doz I bought last. I'm even using them through the ice. I see they came out with a clacking rap stick bait now. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some of them in a clearance bin$

They retail at 10.

Cool story though.

I bumped into al linder years back when he was prefishing the fort frances bass championships.

We were both fueling up and my son was hyped to meet al. I think he was around 6 at the time. Clackin raps were brand new. In fact im not even sure they were in stores yet.

My son talks to al about his strategy which was hilarious in its own right. Al gives me a pat on the back and grabs a box outta his boat and hands it to my son.

There was aboit 100 clackin raps in there.

My son was sooooo happy(as was i)

Al is a class act

Scatter Raps are great....

They have a really neat darting out to the side action at the right retrieval speed. Great for trolling and casting. I had a ton of success with the minnow types in Nakina last year for both Pike and Eyes. SAIL has them for $10.99 a pop in Ottawa.

Rapala Scatter Rap® - YouTube

fast forward to 1:30.

Edited by BassMan11

Three things:

1: As Bassman said, the Scatter Rap works quite well.

On a straight retrieve, it suddenly and randomly darts off line, then returns to a normal course.

The one problem I saw was they didn't come in a Pike size model.

2: Scatter Rap's are Balsa, this new bait looks like Plastic to me. They list at $8.99 at Tackle Warehouse (plus 20% and shipping for Canadians.) and comes in a shallow and a deep version. This new bait is 4.25 inches long and weighs 7/16th. oz.

3: This name says it suspends but is in fact it appears to sink very slowly and is supposed to shimmy as it does...

Here's the hype...

Living in the shadow world between life and death, the Rapala Shadow Rap combines both the vertical and horizontal struggles that a minnow exhibits when its life hangs in the balance. Sculpted with flat-sides, the Rapala Shadow Rap delivers an erratic darting action with minimal forward movement, so it can maintain the dance of death within a fish’s strike zone.

Internally, the Rapala Shadow Rap is equipped with a fixed weighting system, which works like a minnow’s swim bladder, allowing it to sink with a slow-falling quiver – just like a dying baitfish. As it fades into the depths, the Rapala Shadow Rap snaps back to life with a flickering lunge that causes fish to come absolutely unglued.

From watching the videos, my understanding is that this finally caught on to the Japanese jerkbaits in terms of that side to side roll or "shiver" at the end of a twitch. I'm not too sure I buy the entire it'll slowly shimmy down as it sinks deal because it'll need to shrink pretty fast and that defeats the purpose of a suspending jerkbait.

At $10, I guess it's cheaper than a pointer.

Husky jerks shouldn't be more than $7.99 otherwise your paying way to much. We ordered some Shadow Rap's they should be in by the end of the month. It was neat seeing the action of that bait in the test pool. When twitching it on slack line it almost turns completely around and will start down the bass, sits tail up head down. I was impressed, I would guess it will be 9.99-11.99 it's $9 on TackleWarehouse.

It will be a good collator jerk bait, it was super slow but it didn't seem to rise more than a inch or 1 after 20+ seconds in the pool. Regardless it does have a wide 1-1.5ft dart and when worked aggressively it did full turn arounds.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Three things:

1: As Bassman said, the Scatter Rap works quite well.

On a straight retrieve, it suddenly and randomly darts off line, then returns to a normal course.

The one problem I saw was they didn't come in a Pike size model.

I agree on the larger size for Pike but believe me they do work for them. This was caught on a chartreuse minnow version.

PA2001711.jpg

More proof pike will bite anything you can throw at them lol.

My biggest pike came in 2fow on a jig and berkley ripple shad 4" firetiger color. Was the best bite ive ever experienced!

I actually did have trouble catching pike on a larger baits up there. They wanted a bite size snack because of the cold water temps I assume.

But I agree they usually will hit anything.

They retail at 10.

Cool story though.

I bumped into al linder years back when he was prefishing the fort frances bass championships.

We were both fueling up and my son was hyped to meet al. I think he was around 6 at the time. Clackin raps were brand new. In fact im not even sure they were in stores yet.

My son talks to al about his strategy which was hilarious in its own right. Al gives me a pat on the back and grabs a box outta his boat and hands it to my son.

There was aboit 100 clackin raps in there.

My son was sooooo happy(as was i)

Al is a class act

I must agree. Years ago I met both Al Linder and Dave Csanda and they are both gentlemen in every respect. Complete opposite of Babe Winkelman.