Goedie Howe

ketchenany

Along with the original 6 teams. great tribute to him.

Gretzky and other legends pay tribute to Gordie Howe in Saskatoon

Clare Clancy, The Canadian Press Feb 6, 2015 10:14:29 PM

1Share

Wayne Gretzky figures there is no photograph fans ask him to sign more often than the one of him as a smiling preteen beside his idol Gordie Howe, who is playfully hooking a hockey stick around the future Great Ones neck.

Every time I look at the picture or sign the picture, its nothing but great memories, Gretzky said Friday as he and several hockey legends paid tribute to Howe in his hometown. He was nicer and better when I met him than even what I thought he was going to be.

The iconic photo was taken in 1972 in Gretzkys hometown of Brantford, Ont. Gretzky remembers it like it was yesterday.

We were standing there, Gordon grabbed his stick, actually put it around my throat, Gretzky recalled. It went on to be one of the most popular pictures Ive ever signed.

Gretzky, Bobby Hull, Brett Hull and Howes sons Mark and Marty shared their memories of Howe at a news conference Friday morning ahead of an evening celebrity dinner in honour of Mr. Hockey.

Gretzky said Howe helped pave the way for him and others to enjoy success in the sport. He said idols sometimes dont live up to their reputations, but this wasnt the case with Howe.

Youre always going to remember him as a great player, a wonderful person and a tremendous family man, Gretzky said of the ailing Howe, who has suffered recent strokes.

Howe, 86, was all smiles on Friday as he made his way to the dinner in his honour. Wearing a suit and tie, he shuffled through a hotel lobby, pausing briefly with a fan who shook his hand and captured the moment with a selfie.

Howes 801 career goals rank second in the NHL to Gretzkys 894. The Hall of Famer also holds NHL records for most games played (1,767) and seasons played (26) and won the Stanley Cup four times with the Detroit Red Wings.

Brett Hull said when he played in Detroit, he often chatted with Howe about hockey, sports and life in the dressing room before games, conversations that hell treasure.

He said its hard to imagine playing for as long as Howe did.

Being productive at that age is a remarkable feat and its hard to fathom that he could really do it, Hull said.

Howe suffered two disabling strokes late last year but his family says his health has improved after he underwent a stem-cell treatment as part of a clinical trial in Mexico.

He hadnt walked in two months, Marty Howe said, adding that his dad has also gained 21 pounds since the experimental treatment.

His back is bothering him a little bit now, so he shuffles his feet but I guarantee when he gets to that (dinner) hes going to walk to where he needs to go. His blood flows hockey.

Bobby Hull said hes thrilled to be part of the Howe tribute.

I go back to when I was 10 years old, he said, adding that he stood in the sleet and rain to watch a game at Torontos Maple Leaf Gardens.

He was in awe watching Howe play.

My dad looked at me and said Robert, when you can shoot the puck like that you can play in this league, he said.

Hull said eight years later he played against Howe, and it was a wonder to share the ice with him.

Howes sons both talked about the family values their father holds dear.

Hes just a special person, Marty Howe said. He treats everyone the same.

Gretzky said Fridays dinner is a chance to thank Howe for what he has done for hockey.

I dont think theres any question that if it wasnt for Gordie, and if it wasnt for Bobby Hull jumping to the WHA in 1972 that I might not be standing here today, Gretzky said. So they definitely laid a path for guys like Wayne Gretzky to become professional athletes.

Gordie was just a touch before my time with regards to appreciating hockey. But I have read more then enough about him to appreciate he was/is the real deal. So sad to hear about what he is going through now.

I grew up watching Orr and the big bad Bruins. To me Orr is the best to ever lace up a pair of skates...and no one will ever change my mind on that.

crappieperchhunter - I'm with you! Bobby Orr was the greatest. He could shoot, score, skate, better than anybody. He created a lot of excitement! He'd lead the rush to the other end & usually score! If the puck was turned over he was back in his defense position BEFORE the opponent was near his goal. Awesome! He did take the hits & has the scars on his knees to prove it! Too bad 7 knee surgeries forced his retirement in 1974. They say his knees looked like a road map of Ontario. (from surgery)

Howes 801 career goals rank second in the NHL to Gretzkys 894. The Hall of Famer also holds NHL records for most games played (1,767) and seasons played (26) and won the Stanley Cup four times with the Detroit Red Wings.

These numbers are particularly impressive considering that he spent six seasons in the WHA. If he had spent his entire career in the NHL he would probably still be the number one scorer.

The thing I liked about the hockey heroes from back then... they weren't full of themselves. They were, and still are friendly, approachable and happy to yak with any fan of the game. Mr Hockey, Gumper ,Bobby Hull, Johnny Bower, Orr, Plante, the Richards, Espositos, Eddy, etc...... are true ambassadors of the game. I'll take them over a lot of today's prima donnas any time.