Day 2 of the Antigua adventure.

limeyangler

Hi All,

After a break of a couple days from fishing I hit up another cove on the North East side of the Island I discovered years ago.

Much better results than the first outing. Tarpon, snook, baby barracuda, an unknown specimen and various versions of trevalli/jacks.

Rapala walk the dog/subsurface lures, and the trusty clacking rap were the most effective of the baits i tried.

Water was chocolate milk like my native Lake Wabigoon as that Easterly was whipping in the bay, but the Snook were on fire, landed one, lost 2. Tarpon was first cast but I got tied up in a conch fisherman's bouy and it spat the hook(I learned that they are experts at that by the end of my travels).

I have to say I can't think of anywhere I have been more at ease ever than when I wading through the mangroves….way prefer this to big game offshore.

HERE IS A VID.

Edited by limeyangler

Enjoyed the vid..reminded me of my years of wandering Cuban shoreline, and boating mangroves each march break. I'm with you...deep sea fishing..who wants it?

Its so relaxing just being in the bush, a few pelicans and my manic thoughts of what bait to try next!

Have you guys ever eaten Snook? I have not. I bet it's good. Since that Australian Crocodile guy got killed by a Ray I step gingerly when I wade. Do you take precautions. Telling you it is a great video is becoming redundant but I'll say it regardless. Great video again Sir.

When you started crawling along those roots you said exactly what I was thinking. If someone calls for help from the Mangrove and there is no one there to hear him does he make a sound?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

That was awesome.

Thanks Dan! I wish I had had another week there, I was beginning to figure stuff out. Lost loads of fish because of bent swivels and bent hooks, even heavy duty hooks are easily bent by even relatively small Tarpon. Line strength was not an issue and 30lb brain held up fine, 30lb swivels…not so much, ended up tying straight to lures with 30lb Seaguar Blue (that stuff is the dog's bollox!) but then ran into bent hook issues. Worked out the hook issue literally on the last day, after having also discovered a snook infested shoreline the night before which I never had the chance to wet a line in.

Have you guys ever eaten Snook? I have not. I bet it's good. Since that Australian Crocodile guy got killed by a Ray I step gingerly when I wade. Do you take precautions. Telling you it is a great video is becoming redundant but I'll say it regardless. Great video again Sir.

When you started crawling along those roots you said exactly what I was thinking. If someone calls for help from the Mangrove and there is no one there to hear him does he make a sound?

I ate the first Snook I ever caught on a trip to the same place 10 years ago. It was DELICIOUS! Since then though I have become way more of a catch and release fisherman, I even ended up replacing some of the treble hooks on my lures to afford less injury to the fish for their eventual release, I am lucky to be wealthy enough to release all the fish I landed. When the water is chest high and mud knee deep with barracuda and shark around I try to focus on the positives….lol. The nastiest thing I saw this trip was a load of jellyfish on my second trip to this same bay…never gopt stung but glad I did not as they even looked painful.

GOPR7533.jpg

Yeah, those roots would really do a number on your ankles if you slipped, but Its like any other outdoor pursuit, there are risks….try to be aware of them and don't go against that little voice that says…"eerrrr…I don't think you want to do that". That area was not as remote as it seemed and you could hear vehicles on the nearby road all day. especially by noon as it is only 100meters over to the next bay which is one of the bigger tourist attractions on the island…its just that you would never even know or probably even care that bay was there unless you were one of the local conch fishermen or a crazy angling addicted englishman with the power of Google earth at his command and a wife that tolerated scouting mission ten years ago when we were on HONEYMOON!!!!

Thanks so much. I very much enjoyed your video that demonstrates just how much fun one can have in a southern climate.

Thanks TC. The caribbean holds a special place in my heart as it brings back many happy childhood memories….its a magical place to be out and about with a rod.

this has got me pumped for my possible trip to cancun in April. Salt water fish just fight so friggin hard.

Wicked, have a blast man…I'm sure you will….report and pics please!

Man awesome video.... Wish I was able to get south this year! Newborn baby put the kibosh to that for this year....

How does Jack like the south?

G

CONGRATULATIONS!! Holy moly.

Jack loved it, but he did not get out fishing with me because I was leaving really early and getting back mid morning, he was more interested in Geocaching, swimming at the beach and at the house pool, and hanging out. Lots of cool coast walks and holes in the sand dug.

IMG_0726.jpg

GOPR7493.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-22%20at%207.01.1

IMG_9230.jpg