Lake Erie ice?

tb4me

Ok i used to have web sites that I could get ice reports on but none of the links work anymore..Can anyone help me out here? I want to go ice fishing this Friday am..Was thinking of going through an outfitter.. do they exist anymore on Erie? Was looking for around the the st Williams area..or LPB Help? anyone have info on ice or if the outfitters are operation out there?

Went today through R&R outdoors (jimmy rigging) got a few nice perch. Heard we missed the bite by one day. Pike and perch are the main targets in the bay

ahh the old shoulda been here yesterday...Id like to use that line one day myself....lol

Ok i used to have web sites that I could get ice reports on but none of the links work anymore..Can anyone help me out here? I want to go ice fishing this Friday am..Was thinking of going through an outfitter.. do they exist anymore on Erie? Was looking for around the the st Williams area..or LPB Help? anyone have info on ice or if the outfitters are operation out there?

Are you trying to use environment marine canada's ice reports?

Ive found a way around the glitch because I was having the same problem.

use this link http://iceweb1.cis.ec.gc.ca/Archive20/?lang=en

it will take you to the historical ice reports. Make you selection of where you want to see, select todays date as the one that you want. Click download...then choose "download to compressed zip file" and you will get a zip folder containing the reports. Hope this helps!

I can see open water about spots 5 miles out here, be careful. This lake rises and lowers it's levels constantly. Also NG spewing out of the lake bottom will make the ice very unstable or melt it. I have cut a hole in the ice and found the water level 6" below the ice. We high tailed it out of there tout suite.

Are you trying to use environment marine canada's ice reports?

Ive found a way around the glitch because I was having the same problem.

use this link http://iceweb1.cis.ec.gc.ca/Archive20/?lang=en

it will take you to the historical ice reports. Make you selection of where you want to see, select todays date as the one that you want. Click download...then choose "download to compressed zip file" and you will get a zip folder containing the reports. Hope this helps!

Sweet! Thanks for the link..Just what I was looking for..

There's a good 10-12" of clear ice in shallower water near shore and the big groups of huts. Out at EC10 and just past towards the main lake a bit there is a minimum 8" of clear ice. The first pressure crack was easily crossed on Monday just before EC10.

There's quite the wall formed by the pressure crack running from the Pottohawk area over towards TP that looks to be 5-10 ft high in places. I was going to venture over that way for some pics, testing ice on the way, but it was already leery enough being alone and far from anyone at EC10. Need a buddy when venturing that far off shore...

I posted elsewhere - can't remember where?? I went on a scouting mission this past Sunday. I went to Port Colborne first. There were several guys fishing in the marina at Sugarloaf. So I feel the ice is good to fish. From there I headed East (toward Fort Erie). I checked near Pleasant Beach. Ice as far as I could see but, extremely rough. Small broken chunks that had re froze (is that a word?) making travel by foot, sled or atv impossible in my eyes. I saw 2 groups fishing about 2 km off Pleasant beach. I think a helicopter musta dropped them off! I continued east to Crystal Beach. Same thing lottsa ice but very rough! I know I wouldn't be able to hike it! While at Crystal Beach a lone walker was packing up his gear on shore. I spoke to him ( a much younger fella than myself) - he stated the walk was brutal! I think the east end of Erie is a bust unless we get a thaw to knock down some of the chunks to hopefully level it out.

I also posted somewhere that I would take a drive to check out some spots where a machine could make it out. At the end of Stoney Creek at the south end of the Selkirk Townline is about the only spot I saw today that didn't have mountain ranges along the shore. As far as fish there???????? I will report back if I see a few good travelable spots. There are plenty of spots travelable out of St. Williams as the operators huts are out

We should start a new dictionary for OFC members only. LOL! Sorry Ironmaker I couldn't resist.

OK I was trying to be funny by highlighting the word "travelable" in your last post, then "quote", then add it to my response. Does this explain?

Maybe I should go to bed - it's late!!

Edited by wormdunker

I know that's a word wormdunker because I used it. Sometimes when I come up with these I ask myself " is that really a word?" if spellcheck doesn't highlight it I figure it must be OK. travelable , see no spellcheck highlight, try it. Sometimes I just leave it in to see if you will catch it.

I guess if Microsoft spellcheck doesn't recognize Ironmaker I don't exist. Is spellcheck a real word?

Now as far as ice here goes it's only a few miles to open water now behind our place, pic is right. Oh yea he is working at the Coke Ovens in the USSC Ironmaking division at the Lake Erie Works. I missed the ice breaker, cool to watch with a telescope.

I have not seen a single hut out on the lake here between Dunnville and Port Dover. There are a few huts out on The Grand River in front of Fishmasters. Steve isn't there because he is busting his butt off in Costa Rica chartering for Billfish, the poor guy.

Edited by Old Ironmaker