Auger replacement blades

SirCranksalot

I have a 6" manual auger that doesn't seem to cut too well. I suspect the blades are a bit dull even though it's only a couple of years old. The feel sharp, though. I'm thinking of buying new blades to see if that's the problem. I have heard that some replacement blades are actually better than the original ones. Comments? Any recommendation on brand or where to buy?

Thanks a lot, from Cranksalot!

Oh man I do not miss the days of using my manual auger lol.

Replacement blades are available almost any outdoors shop, just make sure you get the right ones.

Keep em sharp man, or thats tough work drillin manually.

Not sure where I heard it but after each outing I used to give my blades a quick shot of wd40 and they stayed really good for a few years. I also babied it so maybe that was it???

If you really want your manual augering to be far less work, buy a Fin-Bore auger. The blade design is far superior and the handles are offset. I bought a swede-bore a few years ago in a pinch when it was my only option and I couldnt believe how much worse it was. I havent used it since.

Resharpened are never as good as new.

Thats what Ive seen on this board a thousand times.

I wouldnt know because I just replace mine.

In fact im buying some new blades today. I let a buddy borrow my eskimo shark and he like to drill half holes to store the auger, or redrill old holes.

He wont be using my auger again

Resharpened are never as good as new.

Thats what Ive seen on this board a thousand times.

I wouldnt know because I just replace mine.

In fact im buying some new blades today. I let a buddy borrow my eskimo shark and he like to drill half holes to store the auger, or redrill old holes.

He wont be using my auger again

How often do you buy new blades? I just used mine one season maybe about 8 outings, so I'm surprised that they already have a problem(but as I said, they feel sharp).

Yeah, your buddy abusing your machine----doesn't auger well for the future of your friendship. :P (Sorry, just can't resist)

I've got 8 seasons and a ton of holes on my Nils Master. I haven't had to replace the cutting head once. Don't bang the blades, don't open old holes, don't lend your auger, and give it a light coating of oil after every trip, if you do this with every auger no matter the brand, you will experience very prolonged blade life! I agree you are wasting your time trying to sharpen mora style blades. They are generally junk once they need a sharpen! Buy new, save the headache. Nothing worse than an auger that cuts poorly.

Edited by porkpie

Don't bang the blades, don't open old holes, don't lend your auger,

Dont leave your auger in a half drilled hole to use it as a stand. The hole freezing back up will bend the blades. I cant believe how many I see like that out there.