cooking thread...

I've never heard of making Polenta like that. Polenta is corn meal cooked in a pot, never potatoes, potatoes???????. That would be Gnocchi. Preferably a copper pot over low heat and stirred by hand gradually adding the corn meal and water until it's talking to you, blub, blub, blub. Then it's traditionally poured over a large board on the table and spread evenly and let cool a bit, the salsa of whatever or stew, rabbit or Brodetto is my favorite, is spread on top of it and squares are cut and served. It 's not much different than Cream of Wheat cereal to tell the truth. Ramen noodles, come on man, my Nana and Noni are spinning in her graves Rick!!!!!

I've never heard of making Polenta like that. Polenta is corn meal cooked in a pot, never potatoes, potatoes???????. That would be Gnocchi. Preferably a copper pot over low heat and stirred by hand gradually adding the corn meal and water until it's talking to you, blub, blub, blub. Then it's traditionally poured over a large board on the table and spread evenly and let cool a bit, the salsa of whatever or stew, rabbit or Brodetto is my favorite, is spread on top of it and squares are cut and served. It 's not much different than Cream of Wheat cereal to tell the truth. Ramen noodles, come on man, my Nana and Noni are spinning in her graves Rick!!!!!

Polenta is polenta.

We always make ut the same.

Gnocchi is unreal good done with ramen noodles, no lie

A drive down to Fortinos in Vaughan to pick up some back ribs on sale, was well worth the few $ in fuel. Well, there was other things such as home made sausage,ocean packs for soups and noodles, and a few asian stores were visited as well. :clapping: We dont get the real thing up here. :dunno:

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ribs tonight,,,,,,,,,,,

Dry rubbed down with smoked paprika and chillie. Slow roasted sitting on some carrotts and onion, for 4 hours at 225.

You know it,s done when the bone just pops out at ya, when trying to lift it out.

002.JPG

Johnny, cream of wheat? Really? Im a cream of wheat guy and not a chance. Polenta is much better. Fried, topped with olives and sundried tomatoes. Add a thin slice of meat as well, if you like. :D

Edited by Brian B

Polenta is polenta.

We always make ut the same.

Gnocchi is unreal good done with ramen noodles, no lie

Love gnocchi and polenta. My family won't touch the stuff.. Only problem with polenta for me is that I get bunged up for days after eating it.

So I upgraded the little 2 rack smoker I got for Christmas to a 4 rack

IMG_20151230_212020.jpg

Shortly thereafter I noticed prime rib was on sale at farmer Al's for $4.99/lb soooo I picked one of these up and am bringing it to my new years bash with all my buds

Attach10033_20151231_060936.jpg

She went in the smoker not long ago looking like this

IMG_20151230_212444.jpg

And hopefully after 8-10 hours of smoking with cherrywood she's ready around 130 degrees I'll pull it out, wrap it in foil, a towel and into a cooler and then I head to Guelph as it rests and then we can gorge!

Happy new year everyone

Nice Lucas - a smoker in on my list for 2016.

I think today's updates to this thread may provide a year's worth of eats :)

We are heading to a friends and are responsible for the appetizers -

starting with 3 hour slow oven baked ribs covered in Mumbo sauce (had this when I visited DC last year, addictive to say the least)

2 cups ketchup
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1/2 cup Sriracha sauce
2/3 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon powdered ginger

crab stuffed mushroom caps (these are always a hit and so simple to make)

and pork tenderloin satays.

If I get a chance I will provide pictures later - for now off to the store to get all the goodies.

Happy New Year all.

and remember to leave the keys behind.

I cooked a traditional Christmas Turkey dinner with all the trimmings for my daughter and I and of course that meant leftovers. So after the main event and my fill of hot roasted turkey snadwiches I had enough left for a gigantic turkey pot pie as well as a large batch of creamy mushroom/turkey/penne soup.

The smaller pot on the left is full of a double batch Spiel version of this ( http://www.ontario.ca/foo…/recipes/silky-rutabaga-apple-soup ) for my vegetarian daughter.

10289930_1551180401809355_87195970112181

Spincast your Mumbo ribs have just gone on my to try next week list, great sounding recipe, don't know what the sriracha sauce is but that's what google is for lol

Have a great night tonight

And as for you Spiel that has " I need a nap after that turkey pot pie " written all over it,,,, :tease:looks most satisfying, Happy New Year to ya and thanks again . :canadian:

I stay away from buying meat from Farmer Al's. Note it doesn't have any grades associated with the meat. I did 20 years ago and got a deadly virus that had the Hamilton Health dept coming to my home daily to get stool samples for a week, never again.

I have 30 bucks in 2 @ 1" NY strips sitting on the counter waiting to get to room temp for our New Years scarf. There is a pound of 10-12 Scallops in the fridge waiting for some garlic and butter too. I'll try my best to have the baked tater too. Then off to the neighbourhood bush party to burn some calories and rock to "Best of the 70's." Burn baby burn Disco Inferno. I dug out my Flares, not to be confused with Bell Bottoms. I can be such a GQ kinda guy.

And Happy New Year to one and all.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Im sure me nan is smiling down on me today. Mis ya nan . :angel:

COD CAKES

One of my favorite.

Salt cod to soak for 12 hours. Get up in the morning,throw in a zip lock bag to be chunked up later. I dont like to lose to much of that salt taste. Ya I know, I need to watch my blood presure, but I have been a good boy.

cod cakes 001.JPG

That bit of salted cod turned out to be a good mess of cod. Chunk it up, along with some onions.Add some seasoning, and it,s getting happy happy.

cod cakes 002.JPG

Potatoes boilng away at this time. Cod 70%.30% potatoes. The taters are for binding,thats it. Ya gots to taste the fish, and I like chuncks of it.All binded together

cod cakes 004.JPG

cod cakes 006.JPG

I like my cakes big,so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ya, these will do fine.

cod cakes 015.JPG

Cabbage on the boil. Throw some left over squid rings into bake.

Our lady friend upstairs come home from work and like a good friend,I offer some home cooked cakes, and she is more then happy. So we have enough for tonights dinner. No left overs.

cod cakes 017.JPG

Me thinks I,ll put off the jigs dinner til easter weekend. Thats enough salt intake for me for now. :canadian:

Happy new year all, and hope all have a great 2016.

B :canadian:

Edited by Brian B

RIMG1226_zpslgquqxix.jpg

ribs with Mambo sauce, meat so soft teeth not required... short lived

and today's cheese onion and bacon stuffed jalapeño poppers. cook at 400 for 20 mins...

RIMG1229_zpsrpwy8bpt.jpg

unfortunately, once out of the oven they disappeared before the camera had a chance to capture their tasty melted presentation.

RIMG1227_zpsbyhmyt2m.jpg

bon appetit!

I wanted to make Spincast's rib recipe but I could not make the mumbojumbo sauce. It being 1 January the grocery stores are closed so I could not get the harikari sauce (Red Rooster) that is an important part of the recipe.

So I had to go with "the usual", ribs rubbed with a Carolina rub, in the fridge for a few hours, then slow roasted in the oven.

ribs_1_Jan_16_1_.JPG

And with no mumbojumbo sauce Diana's Gournet Maple had to do for a glaze.

ribs_1_Jan_16_2_.JPG

An hour or so on the BBQ at low and indirect heat and they were ready to eat.

ribs_1_Jan_16_3_.JPG

But I was not a little piggy I just had half a rack:

ribs_1_Jan_16_4_.JPG

So yeehaw I have leftover ribs for tomorrow. And since wifey is away I also got to take some pictures of the tasty bits! :canadian:

Doug