cooking thread...

.............and there's nothing DIRTY about a feed of fresh fish!!!!! :clapping:

Doug

Agreed!

I made ALOT of fish. So ciabata and fish sandwiches for tomorrow.

I call it dirty fish for two reasons

1 its multi species and the kids never knew untill today.

2 although you cant tell in the pic, sometimes I cook it in burnt potatoe crisps and burnt garlic in the oil. When it comes out it looks black and dirty but it adds a really nice flavour.

Here is what it looks like up close in smellovision20160606_195459_zpsecisusbq.jpg

Edited by manitoubass2

Thanks to Joey for the lobster bisque recipe.

Almost full copy but had 6-7 dozen shrimp shells kicking around from old meals and threw those in to make stock. Got 8 well flavoured cups out of it. Also added charred corn. Thought about adding some fish but decided to keep it with just lobster for protein.

The roe tamalley cream base is key and you don't find that on google when you search recipes.

This thread keeps giving.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I spent last week in the north fishing. Fishing was good and me and my friends enjoyed a few meals of beer battered Walleye.

We also enjoyed a couple of meals of cedar planked fish, a first for me.

The fish being fresh Lake Trout and they were awesome.

I did it again my first day home for my daughters who also loved it.

The rest of the fresh trout I brought home were brined, then brushed with Maple Syrup before a nice smoky bath in maple and hickory smoke....yum!

13502852_1611277232466338_62447826631957

13502717_1611232739137454_53665129937795

13466188_1611347369125991_17083586263960

Yukon Moose Sausages (Mild Italian) are going on the BBQ shortly. I made these with a buddy up in Whitehorse when I was up there ice fishing in March.

YUM YUM.

Doug

Sounds terrific. Try a sneak a picture or two. ;)

You're trying to get me into kaka with the missus! :whistling:

Grow a set. DAMIT MAN. LMAO

Chris I have been trying to find the chief smoker. Do they still sell those things? I would buy a used one if I had too.

BYW, the candy looks DELISH.

Grow a set. DAMIT MAN. LMAO

Chris I have been trying to find the chief smoker. Do they still sell those things? I would buy a used one if I had too.

BYW, the candy looks DELISH.

I have no idea Brian. Mine is from the 80's.

And yes the candy is delish. ;)

Thanks Doug. Damit american side. That mini would be perfect for my use.

amazon.ca has the Little Chiefs too. Not sure about free shipping on them.

the moose sausages were quite tasty but so far are being rather coy about getting their picture taken...........

Luhr Jensen still makes the Big Chief and Little Chief.

Know anybody coming up for a fishing trip from Ohio?

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/smokers/

Doug

I still have two big chief smokers, one I got a garage sale for $10. Deal! They have served me great for a long time. My latest favorite for sure has been Canadian back bacon made with those cheap full loin packs. The trim I grind and freeze for other uses like burgers and meat loaf. I think I posted this before but it deserves a repost. http://www.nwedible.com/how-to-make-canadian-bacon-at-home/

LeBaron still sells the Big Chief. Front load I think. I could use some replacement parts for mine for sure but there is no Canuck source it seems and the prices double from the states

Here's my thread tip, hehe

I still buy older loaves of of French loaf or whatever for half price, slice them thick and let them mostly dry. Then into the smoker for a pan or two, until it turns toasty color. Let cool of course, then process to absolutely the best bread crumbs you can't buy. :) So damn good for coating fish, chicken or seafood, on top of a casserole, or mixing in burgers and meat loaf. Plus it lasts for ages in the pantry. Well, not really, cause it gets used. For me it helps distinguish and enhance any dish I use it in.

Cheers

back to smitty55.........

I use the same smoker and really should buy a new power cord, the one I have has a melted plug..........

and BTW those moose sausages last night got a good dollop of Iron Arse BBQ Sauce. I bought every bottle they had at the two "Ride for Dad" booths a month or so ago. Thanks for the steer on that!

Doug