cooking thread...

What ribs do you guys all prefer? Generally I go for back ribs but have done some reading about smoking ribs and have found some people preferring side ribs

I have only cooked back ribs. I have seen side ribs for sale in the grocery store but they always looked to have almost no meat on them. If I am going to go to all the hassle of doing up ribs I want to have meaty ones!

Doug

You guys are killing me with al that delish looking viddles. I wish our Dindon Pot Pie looked like yours Speil. Home made pastery? Now I have to hit the fridge, the 10 pound wt. loss starts tomorrow.

The crust was premade roll out stuff my daughter brought home for me JD, I believe it was Pillsbury, needed 3 rolls (two per package), top side and bottom. Worked just fine.

Sure don't look like store bought Spiel. I never bake other than a Pizza Pie. Maybe that's a good thing.

If I want to buy a bag of bones and cartilage which is what you get with side ribs I'll go to the Pet store and buy a chew bone. Back ribs only unless making Pasta sauce, then a few bones is good.

Seafood sauce with Polenta tonight. 15-20 shrimp on sale today, bought a bag at the Portuguese fish market today in Hamilton. After cleaning will add 10 to the sauce once it's heated. Then brown the Polenta in a bit of oil in a pan. MMMMM. Or maybe just eat with those crusty Portuguese buns out of the oven .

Going through the flyers for the sales starting today , it must be sausage making time, all the grocery stores have sausage meat on sale this week, best price seems to be Fortinos, pork shoulders at $1.29 a pound and whole pork legs at 99 cents a pound. Those making bacon there is whole pork bellies at Commissos for $2.99 a pound. Sobeys and Superstore have sales on as well on shoulders, it's like they have insider info on each others sale items.

To add Dave, if you want to buy and have it ground same time, so all you do is mix and push out , Coppas across from BPS does this. Might be worth buying a sausage pusher.

Heres a question about this while were on the subject.

Do you need to add any type of special salt cure to the meat? Or just mix in what seasons you want, then push it out into the skins?

I know there is real skin out there and that fake stuff. Whats best?

Edited by Brian B

Sausages are of two main types: fresh and prepared. (I am summarizing hugely here)

Fresh sausages you take fresh meat, add your chosen spices, and maybe a binder, and put it into your casings. When you want to eat those sausages you have to cook them.

Prepared sausages you take fresh meat, add your chosen spices, probably a binder, definitely a cure, generally put it into casings,and then "IN GENERAL" cook or smoke it to a given internal temperature then let it cool. Your pepperoni, salami, summer sausage, etc etc needs no further cooking, just slice it and eat it.

I like working with collagen casings, they are much more forgiving than natural hog or lamb casings (made from intestines). Collagen casings also come in standard lengths, fit easier on the sausage stuffer tube and don't generally tear as much or as often. And personally, I find no difference in the taste. I am aware that there are many other views on this.

Doug

A lil dried broccoli led to this concoction?

A nice spinach salad and two full dishes of quiche. One with mushrooms and one without.

Cant see it but there is 3lbs of bacon in there lol

No dressing on the salad yet i left that up to the kids. But i used a honey dijon dressing

20160108_174242_zps7ft9vfw8.jpg

20160108_191330_zpsysvpkbyy.jpg

20160108_191311_zpsdpiahyrm.jpg

20160108_191316_zps5ad88rck.jpg

Started on a dual smoke today 2 pork shoulders, I was looking at the flyer and saw the new York cut, included the Boston butt and the picnic roast (both good for pulled pork) but when I got to the store I almost fainted when I saw the size of them haha, they were only around $30 but HUUUUUGEE!

Anyway here's how it started out with a rub, and a saran wrapping overnight!

IMG_20160109_095845.jpg

IMG_20160108_180949.jpg

Ended up coming out at 7pm after going in at 9:30 this morning after being in all that time around 225, the small one came out at 200 internal temperature, the big one is still in for now just getting up there, will add more pics of that one soon

IMG_20160109_185447.jpg

Also made some cornbread from scratch!

IMG_20160109_184732.jpg

IMG_20160109_200506.jpg

IMG_20160109_211806.jpg

Edited by Lucas F

LUCAS, give me a heap of that on a bun and slaw for toppings. SWEET dude.

I am finally going to give the bacon makin thing a go.

Fine sea salt, smoke pepperika,course ground pepper and some brown sugar. Dry cure.

bacon makin 001b.jpg

bacon makin 002b.jpg

bacon makin 003b.jpg

bacon makin 006b.jpg

Flip it over each day for 5 days, then Im going to slow cook it in the oven, 250 for 4-5 hours.

Edited by Brian B

We used to " air dry or cure " sausages in the fruit cellar for a few weeks until they were dry. Into Mason jars with oil and store for years. It was hit and miss based on the weather, humidity and temp must be just right. My brother Mike took and old fridge and he can dry as may that will fit in the custom racks he added thus it controls the temp and humidity. It works great. He bought 60 pounds of pork shoulder the other day.

Natural casings always better then the synthetic garbage. Bass Pro has everything you need to start except casings and meat.

Ya it turned out real well, I was surprised with how long it ended up taking it sat at 150 degrees for a long while and hits a plateau while the outer bark builds, but I absolutely looove the smell of the applewood smoke, I'm gonna make my own wood pucks, I found a source for a bunch of pre chipped applewood and a recipe to bind it all together and it'll be pennies each as opposed to 52 cents each, adds up quick when you burn one every 20 mins and end up smoking something for 10 hours or longer lol

Ya it turned out real well, I was surprised with how long it ended up taking it sat at 150 degrees for a long while and hits a plateau while the outer bark builds, but I absolutely looove the smell of the applewood smoke, I'm gonna make my own wood pucks, I found a source for a bunch of pre chipped applewood and a recipe to bind it all together and it'll be pennies each as opposed to 52 cents each, adds up quick when you burn one every 20 mins and end up smoking something for 10 hours or longer lol

I seen one on you tube for making the pucks.