cooking thread...

Hey Brian,

2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast mix with 1 tbsp sugar 1 cup of water (tap hot) let stand in bowl

meanwhile add two cups of flour 1/3 cup evoo tbsp salt. after yeast is frothy (5-10 minutes) blend medium/slow speed with

dough hook, slowly add 3/4 to 1 cup of flour until dough no longer sticks to bowl (10 min or so).

lightly oil large bowl (1 tsp) remove dough and lightly coat in oil in new bowl. Cover with saran and

sit in warm place for approx 55 minutes or until doubled (i use oven with light on). While waiting grate cheeses

approx 1 cup total. Punch down dough and slowly add cheese to dough while kneading pushing dough under itself

when done form dough into mini loaf and throw into parchment lined loaf pan. Rise again approx 45 minutes (same saran over) or until dough is approx 1 1/2 inches above loaf pan.

Bake 350 for 40 minutes middle rack or until well colored.

Allow at lease half and hour to cool (almost impossible)

Enjoy with butter.

back to Brian.............those two long kind of square noodles on your plate do not appear to be quite cooked enough..............

Tonight here was venison lasagna (no pictures please, wifey is watching) and I can't believe I am saying this, but I should have had more TOMATO SAUCE in my meat sauce. How often do you say, not enough cheese, not enough meat, whatever, about a lasagna, but how often do you say not enough TOMATO!?!? :dunno:

Doug, I would never use a great quality meat as that, in a lasagna . Im sorry, but if it were I,that fine ground of wild meat would be fried up with onion,mushrooms diced peppers, a hint of the sweet chillie and placed on a toasted bun,covered with jack cheese,further toasted under the grill and eat,n and washed down with a fine brew.

Tomatoes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,phewwyyyy.

Heck,I might even pick the droppings up with those under cooked noodle sticks. :P

back to Brian, most years I have enough ground venison that I can use it in "anything!"

BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This year so far it is looking like I will have to save my venison for special occasions! (But there are forty days left in the season and I still have my tag! :canadian: )

Doug

Only for a few slices of that hot bread ,topped with fresh motzza and sundried tomaters. That looks amazing. Care to share the hows please?

Brian If you wanna make an awesome loaf of bread, google no knead bread and give it a whirl. 4 ingredients dead easy and turns out awesome. You just have to get yourself a cast iron pot with a lid.

I just read about that no-knead bread and I think it is a yes-need bread. Looks delicious! And a recipe I can cook at the hunt camp too!

Doug

Stumbled on it about 4-5 years ago. Turns out excellent every time and everyone loves it. If you like Olives add sliced Kalamati olives to it. OMG is it good.

Burbots: like bullheads, or ling? We only get the bullheads in the spring, and this year I missed them. Last year I pressure canned a bunch. In fact if I find my recipes, which I did write down, both types (filleted and bone-in) were tasty, and I could put these recipes up here.

Doug

Ling. Bullheads are barbotte. I would be interested in the pressure canning recipe, would be interested in applying it to herring and suckers. The ling are an absolute delicacy, I have a couple friends that prefer them to walleye and perch.

Canned Bullheads:

Recipe #1, for 250 ml jars:

Fill jar half-full of skinned bullhead fillets. Add 1 tbsp chopped Vidalia onion, add more fillets to about 1/2" from top of jar, then 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp seasoned salt. Pressure can at 10 lb pressure for 90 minutes.

Recipe #2, for 500 ml jars:

Pack jar with as many whole skinned bullheads (bone in) as will fit. (Always leave half an inch of space at the top of the jar, of course.) Add 2 tbsp chopped Vidalia onion, 1/2 tsp seasoned salt, and 1 1/2 tbsp Diana's Gourmet Western Smokehouse Sauce. Pressure can at 10 lb pressure for 90 minutes.

I wanted to try both fillets and fish "in the round" which is how I generally clean bullheads. Obviously a large bullhead would not fit in a 500 ml jar unless you cut it, so I used smaller fish for those jars. And it is easier to fillet out a larger bullhead anyways, so everything worked out.

The jars of fillets ended up with a lot of liquid, not sure why. I did keep the liquid with the fish when I served it, generally mixed with cream cheese, then put on crackers. I think I would drain some of the liquid off if I did these again.

The whole bullheads ended up very tasty, with the consistency of a firm canned sardine, and the meat came right off the bones.

Doug

Edited by akaShag

What is a large bullhead for you? I've never really seen them over 12-13"

Two springs ago we were catching some very nice white-bellied bullheads about two pounds each. Fishing for crappies in a bit of current, and we were taking crappies and bullheads off the same drifts. They would have been about sixteen inches or so, and all about the same size. But yes, generally we catch smaller fish than that. But a bullhead over about ten inches (with head and tail on) once it is cleaned will not fit into a 500 ml Mason jar. If a person had all bigger fish they could chunk them up I suppose, in order to fit into the jars. This was my first try at canning them.

Doug

and PS to Joeytier about canning herring and suckers.................I have eaten canned suckers but decades ago, and it seems to me they were canned with tomato sauce. I would tend to fillet out both species before canning them, because both have quite a few bones. Pressure canning "does" soften the bones, like in canned salmon you buy in the store, but I do not prefer to eat the bones. My Mom used to mash up the bones with the canned sockeye and tell me it was good for me.....and Mom probably knows best but I still don't prefer bones in my canned fish.

Doug

and PS to Joeytier about canning herring and suckers.................I have eaten canned suckers but decades ago, and it seems to me they were canned with tomato sauce. I would tend to fillet out both species before canning them, because both have quite a few bones. Pressure canning "does" soften the bones, like in canned salmon you buy in the store, but I do not prefer to eat the bones. My Mom used to mash up the bones with the canned sockeye and tell me it was good for me.....and Mom probably knows best but I still don't prefer bones in my canned fish.

Doug

I guess the idea is that the canning process softens the bones to the point where you no longer notice them. This is all new to me so I'll have to get back to you as to whether or not I can put that into practice or not.