cooking thread...

MAMAMEYABYE = Italianonewfie - put the Italiano first ,as it,s respect to the makers .  🤣

Granddaughter loves a  pepperoni pizza when she comes over, but we all know this demon is not allowing social gathering . SO, I made some homemade pizza pinwheels this morning that I will deliver to her and my new adopted grandson to enjoy this afternoon.:good:

Made the pizza dough from scratch, not that bought stuff.  Baking is becoming a fav for me now .

DSCF5595.JPG.4a81d64c96df18762ce443934ec09637.JPG

DSCF5597.JPG.afb9fe1cd0900eaf978b68345193d481.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, misfish said:

MAMAMEYABYE = Italianonewfie - put the Italiano first ,as it,s respect to the makers .  🤣

Granddaughter loves a  pepperoni pizza when she comes over, but we all know this demon is not allowing social gathering . SO, I made some homemade pizza pinwheels this morning that I will deliver to her and my new adopted grandson to enjoy this afternoon.:good:

Made the pizza dough from scratch, not that bought stuff.  Baking is becoming a fav for me now .

DSCF5595.JPG.4a81d64c96df18762ce443934ec09637.JPG

DSCF5597.JPG.afb9fe1cd0900eaf978b68345193d481.JPG

Looks good B. You have to trade in the vest for a apron. OR wear the vest and pretending you are wading.

Thanks Brian.

You KNOW that the person dipping that pinwheel into the dipping sauce is going to double-dip!!!!!  Smack their hand right now! 🙄

Speaking of which I am betting that communal dips are going to be a casualty of covid-19.  Ain't no way somebody is dipping their food into a dip that I am also using.....  But I actually got away from communal dips quite a while ago and went to a serving spoon for people to put their dip/sauce/whatever on their own plate and then I don't give a rat's ass if they double and triple dip.  😉

Doug

I was going to ask how you made the pizza dough. Now I don't have to I watched the video. I do not bake so am not in a position to say anything about that dough. It looks to be more like pastry dough but like I said what do I know. I know there is no way I am going to toss that in the air and come down in one piece. There must be more than one way to bake a Cat. 

8 days no smoke. My wife as well. And we are still both alive. If you don't see me here for over a week send the Coroner's wagon. 

12 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I know there is no way I am going to toss that in the air and come down in one piece

Well I did. Also, I coated the ball in olive oil before the rise. Do not think, I do not know about pizza dough.  I worked  as a bus boy for a great Italian restaurant during my young teen years . Also worked at Mothers pizza in Brampton as a pizza guy.and Astro as well.  Oh look, newfie tossing pizza pie. LOL

Edited by misfish

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

8 days no smoke. My wife as well. And we are still both alive. If you don't see me here for over a week send the Coroner's wagon. 

Way to go. This is how I helped myself stay quit. Once I had a week behind me I just told myself I know I can do it again because I already did it. Same after two weeks, then a month, and so forth. Then I started adding up the pounds of tobacco that I hadn't put through my lungs and the coin I hadn't spent and I felt even better. Worked for me. Good luck.

2 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Way to go. This is how I helped myself stay quit. Once I had a week behind me I just told myself I know I can do it again because I already did it. Same after two weeks, then a month, and so forth. Then I started adding up the pounds of tobacco that I hadn't put through my lungs and the coin I hadn't spent and I felt even better. Worked for me. Good luck.

Thanks Smitty, all we have been getting from friends, family and my OFC family is encouragement and we certainly thank all for it. We have been heeding advice and it is very helpful. This time I am motivated by $$ and my wife, for my wife her motivation is her health and I. It doesn't matter why one wants to quit as long they truly are motivated enough to quit. Like I said for me it's money. 2 packs a day at $18.50 pac is $13,505,00 a year. $13,505.00 a year and going up is not chump change. 

I failed to mention,I used the concept of the pin wheel. Now I see where you got the pastry thing.LOL

pizza dough

3/4 cups warm water

2 cups flour

2 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tbl olive oil

1/2 tsp of yeast

wipe dough ball with olive oil,cover with press n seal . let stand for 2 hours.

8 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Thanks Smitty, all we have been getting from friends, family and my OFC family is encouragement and we certainly thank all for it. We have been heeding advice and it is very helpful. This time I am motivated by $$ and my wife, for my wife her motivation is her health and I. It doesn't matter why one wants to quit as long they truly are motivated enough to quit. Like I said for me it's money. 2 packs a day at $18.50 pac is $13,505,00 a year. $13,505.00 a year and going up is not chump change. 

OI keep up the good work, sta fa na bona jobba. I quit the day we found out we were having a child in 1977! No spray no nicotine patch . . . 

15 hours ago, ketchenany said:

a pizza pie in your eye,  now that’s amore!

Why stop there Albert

Home made Fetachenie. No machine required

3/4 cup of flour

2 tsp of olive oil

4 egg yokes ( yes separated them )

1tsp of salt

mix together,kneed for 8 minutes

coat with olive oil,wrap in saran wrap . Let sit for 1/2 hour.

cut ball into 4 pieces

Roll middle to out.  Roll and flip and repeat  ( add dusting of flour when needed ) Roll til you can see your hand through the pasta.

Roll up like a cigar, cut and untangle. Lightly dust with flour

Place on large area to dry .

This and 2 loaves of bread this morning .

DSCF5606.thumb.JPG.d1923c9735e3e5b4177d73c91b02da4b.JPG

DSCF5608.JPG.e1dfa8c2fb020369fa2566e1a3ca8c9f.JPG

DSCF5609.thumb.JPG.bae465b3cb13b5a6cf9bea8dc9346954.JPG

DSCF5610.JPG.a2144cfeda963f854085ab81cc08bf95.JPG

DSCF5611.JPG.fe60bda10b10507c4c6dd0314a7f12b9.JPG

DSCF5614.JPG.1c7bd6be9bfd30abfe22799c8e104e01.JPG

I need to fish. LOL

13 minutes ago, misfish said:

Why stop there Albert

Home made Fetachenie. No machine required

3/4 cup of flour

2 tsp of olive oil

4 egg yokes ( yes separated them )

1tsp of salt

mix together,kneed for 8 minutes

coat with olive oil,wrap in saran wrap . Let sit for 1/2 hour.

cut ball into 4 pieces

Roll middle to out.  Roll and flip and repeat  ( add dusting of flour when needed ) Roll til you can see your hand through the pasta.

Roll up like a cigar, cut and untangle. Lightly dust with flour

Place on large area to dry .

This and 2 loaves of bread this morning .

DSCF5606.thumb.JPG.d1923c9735e3e5b4177d73c91b02da4b.JPG

DSCF5608.JPG.e1dfa8c2fb020369fa2566e1a3ca8c9f.JPG

DSCF5609.thumb.JPG.bae465b3cb13b5a6cf9bea8dc9346954.JPG

DSCF5610.JPG.a2144cfeda963f854085ab81cc08bf95.JPG

DSCF5611.JPG.fe60bda10b10507c4c6dd0314a7f12b9.JPG

DSCF5614.JPG.1c7bd6be9bfd30abfe22799c8e104e01.JPG

I need to fish. LOL

Be careful you what happens when you try to muscle in on a bakery business!  IT’s not amore.

seriously that looks amazing B. Nothing like homemade food. I bought 66 lbs of flour before this began and my wife makes bread and fennel seed taralli. 

One thing she did the other day,  she Had a crap load of Easter eggs and  nuts of all varieties In small quantities so she crushed them, melted the eggs and here they be.

4A86C2C5-65B8-43B4-821B-D38FA9391991.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the dough recipes. I have hand crank pasta maker Dad handed down to me. He brought it from Italy in 1960. I have never used it but remember watching Mom make home made pasta with it. I'm afraid I will get it gungy, it looks brand new and it's over 60 years old. I love home made pasta over dry hands down. 

Well on today's menu was my Puttanesca recipe.  Wifey even has it down pretty good now, so she made it while I was out today. So that was a great excuse to make another loaf of bread. Changed it up a bit this time, used a full tsp of yeast instead of 1/4, bumped the salt up to 1 1/2 tsp and added 1 tbs of olive oil to the batter. I would say the bread was a bit softer with the oil, had more flavour with the extra salt and rose faster with the extra yeast. Wifey seemed to think she could smell it more as well while it was baking. And of course the Puttanesca was excellent,  we had it with garlic shrimp this time and she kept going on about what a fabulous meal it was, who needs restaurants. For anyone interested that recipe is on pg 132.

Cheers

Today is Jig,s Dinner for 2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Started at 5:30 this morning.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Have to use a chicken today instead of turkey

Will be Couldn't,s Monday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:canadian:

Look it up is you do not know what that is. LOL

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Today is Jig,s Dinner for 2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Started at 5:30 this morning.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Have to use a chicken today instead of turkey

Will be Couldn't,s Monday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:canadian:

Look it up is you do not know what that is. LOL

Have you been in the smoker?

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

Couldn't,s Monday

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, Google doesn't appear to be helpful on this one........

EDIT:  Didn't look hard enough, found this:  http://www.bonitaskitchen.com/recipe/traditional-newfoundland-couldnts/

Yes Doug bye, that would be it.

One fine plate full is all I need for a nice taste of home.

Everything goes in the pot in order.

Ya root stuff

Boil the salted beef first to flavor the water then

Turnip,then carrots,then taters then the above ground veggie, savoy cabbage.

Make a savory gravy from the dripping of the buttery savory chicken and the broth from the boil.

You want all the veggies to be, cut with a fork,not mushy.

I thought I made just enough for today,but will have couldn't,s Monday.

Cheers

DSCF5617.JPG.58ecd8e5e337cbfeb6a987b6f9fce247.JPG

Steak and mushroom stew with duff,s cover,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I was going to add kidney,but not all are a fan. Loved when my grandfather make steak and kidney. He would cover with a dough blanket, I did duffs.

DSCF5621.JPG.35cd66c24fe3365c859878c061eff171.JPG