cooking thread...

13 minutes ago, misfish said:

Have not had a wild rabbit in a long time Doug. I went as far as buying one of those market ones, but MY GOD, talk about trash. I cooked it the same as I would a wild one. Stewed for hours to get that nice flavor and tenderness. I will take grannys road kill possum, over that thing. LOL

Do you make your own pie crust ?

These were all cottontails, and all head-shot, bang flop.  No damaged meat, no adrenaline in the meat.  But I still simmered them for a goodly long time before I made them into pot pies.  And my Grandma Tenderflake made the pie crusts.......😉

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, misfish said:

Have not had a wild rabbit in a long time Doug. I went as far as buying one of those market ones, but MY GOD, talk about trash. I cooked it the same as I would a wild one. Stewed for hours to get that nice flavor and tenderness. I will take grannys road kill possum, over that thing. LOL

Do you make your own pie crust ?

We have the store bought ones Brian, only cooked  one way, roasted in the oven with potatoes and carrots. Salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. We have wild ones in the yard and there they will stay. 

15 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

We have the store bought ones Brian, only cooked  one way, roasted in the oven with potatoes and carrots. Salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. We have wild ones in the yard and there they will stay. 

They become family member's Albert, I get that.

When I can get down to the city limits, I will get a wabbit to try again .:D

6 minutes ago, misfish said:

They become family member's Albert, I get that.

When I can get down to the city limits, I will get a wabbit to try again .:D

I’ve only bought it from Fortinos fresh NOT frozen. 
My dear mother never though them as family members only roasted relatives. 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, akaShag said:

And my Grandma Tenderflake made the pie crusts.......😉

Doug if you have a Food Basics store near you (there's 3 of them), go see if they have the Francois Hubert pie dough. Comes in 1kg frozen blocks, you can refreeze the unused portions. I used to make my own but this stuff is so easy to work with, roll it out almost paper thin,  bakes nice and flaky.   I can make 4 pie crusts and 4 lids from one block.  http://www.lespatesdelile.com/en/vente-pate-a-tarte.php

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, misfish said:

I happen to have some ribs curing for a smoke Wednesday

How are you smoking them? Mine are 6hrs in total.
3hrs in a smoke, 2 hrs wrapped after basted with honey and butter, then 1hr unwrapped - 3 2 1 method

Edited by mamona

5 minutes ago, mamona said:

How are you smoking them? Mine are 6hrs in total.
3hrs in a smoke, 2 hrs wrapped after basted with honey and butter, then 1hr unwrapped - 3 2 1 method

They will start at 6 am with 2 pans of apple chips for 3 hours . Then I will wrap for 1 hour,then unwrap for the next 2. I like a bit of texture to the meat. I have done the full 3 hr wrap after the first 3 hrs, and the pull the bone is nice,but I like the bit of chew. The tail ends are great fried up for breaky or when ever.  I am always trying different things . Some turn out good,some turn out well, still eatable.LOL

2 minutes ago, misfish said:

I forgot to add, I add no basting to the ribs

So the difference is I am not curing or brining. Just seasoning and letting the meat absorb it for a day or 2.
And yeah, you made the point, we prefer pull the bone here.

When you get the. " Did you make these " question, you know you did good. I got that today . I did fail to mention I already ate 4 during the day and had another 4 during dinner, chicken fried rice and noodles.  Nice treat, home made. Add another few pounds to the scale. LOL👨‍🍳

12 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

Brian, you're going to need a bigger toon if you keep this up!

HH

Hey Joe

I had the toon all inflated and rigged up to make sure it was ready for this weekends opener for whities. Took a rest and sat on it. I think it groaned a bit or it was stomach grumbling. LOL

• Haha 3