Boat pricing

HTHM

gotta pay to play. I would personally never buy a new boat but thats just me. Too many idiots out there that buy boats and then use them one season and then they leave them parked in their garage for the next 10 years.

My pops bought a 28 foot rinker for 70% off cause it was 2 years old and had a whopping 10 hours on it.

Well I guess I've used mine... so I'm not an idiot !! But again, many may have a different opinion on that.... :Gonefishing:

It's like buying a new car/ truck, or letting someone else take the depreciation hit and you buying it used. Always defendable arguments for both sides.

I agree about knowing that they are underpowered and taking that into consideration when you buy, however, I bought a Crestliner 16' with a 25 Johnson and trailer for about $1000 more than a similar boat from them with a 9.9. The engine upgrade alone was $1500, plus I got the winch strap, bearing buddies, transom strap and transom saver thrown in as well. That would have been another $450 or more from the whitefish guys.

I would have loved a new boat but couldnt stand the idea of making the same payments as i do on my daily driver.

My 12 ft aluminum with a homebuilt trolling motor transom, homemade cupholders,self mounted rod holders, and a humminbird fishfinder installed by yours truly with a 99 8hp johnson cost me a grand total of ... $1300

I personally guarentee this boat catches big fish on small water?

To compensate for my big water needs i bought a 1990 chapparal with a v8 305, rod holders and manual riggers installed in a garage near you for the whopping tag of 2g.

Together these two will take me anywhere anytime, it just goes to show what you can do on a budget with a little work. Im much happier spending my hard earned money on fishing gear as opposed to x$ a month on fishing transportation.

Happy fishing...and boating

The ranger prices are out of this world no doubt. That said, I believe you have the right to spend as much of your money as you can afford on toys if that's your thing! I was considering new this year, and was ok with the idea of a payment. My wife actually encouraged this route, as she saw all the bells and whistles on the new rigs like the fold down jump seats, mp3 plug ins etc. She almost had me convinced, and then just like that I found a great ( unadvertised) deal through a member here on a Lund pike with a honda out back. I was able to pay cash with the down payment I would've put on the other boat, and no doubt it will last me a while! I agree with the guy who said you have to pay to play. It all depends how much you want to spend!

I bought my boat in '99 for $150/mo for 60 months. Paid in full 11 years ago and still have four years left on the hull weld warranty. Planning on a new outboard if my union doesn't call a strike in late spring. I should easily get another 15-20 years out of my investment.

Same technique at boat shows as there are at car shows. Manufacturers want that initial starting price as low as possible so they can plaster it all over their advertisements. US car companies are especially good at this. If you buy a base model sub-compact vehicle at the base price (which really only car rental lots do) you're basically getting a chassis and an engine.