What kind of electronics do you use on the ice.

Hellfish

You dont need anything fancy. Get the lowrance, and rig the transducer on a stick to put down the hole, and mount the unit on a small cooler or tool box to hold the battery. Works as good as anything.

I use an old lowrance X-96, or a hummingbird 570 portable. They both mark the same fish as the most expensive flasher, and do double duty on back lakes or rental boats. I have a permanant mounted lowrance with GPS in the boat.

S.

So I bought the lowrance Elite 4 Hdi with the transducer, so I need to figure out how to rig it for ice fishing. I suppose I get a stick and run the transducer vertically down the stick, and obviously have the transducer at the bottom of the stick. From there does the stick need to be mounted on something so the transducer stays proper?

So I bought the lowrance Elite 4 Hdi with the transducer, so I need to figure out how to rig it for ice fishing. I suppose I get a stick and run the transducer vertically down the stick, and obviously have the transducer at the bottom of the stick. From there does the stick need to be mounted on something so the transducer stays proper?

You dont need a mount

drop transducer in hole and have at er

I think he ,means he bought the summer transducer. If so, he'll need to rig it up somehow. I have a rig for mine that I can post if need be.

Yeah I have the transducer for soft water, is it possible to post a picture of your set up? I'm going to bass pro to get a battery or two so I just need to find a case and figure out how to rig the transducer

If anyone is interested I made a simple cross out of wood and mounted the transducer on the bottom. IMO it worked great, I got it out for a little test drive on a local canal and it worked out pretty well. I still have to fine tune it and what not but it worked pretty well!!! The elite 4 HDI has a lot of nice features in it, I think I can get used to this :) Thanks for the input everyone it is appreciated!

When I upgrade my boat electronics I modify my old unit for ice fishing. Right now I am using a Lowrance X510C on the ice

How do you like the 510? I just got a 527c with a boat package I bought, and I was wondering if it was worth buying an ice ducer and rigging it up for my son. I have a new unit for the console, so this one is kinda surplus. I'm using a bird 385 on the ice myself and its awesome. Does your unit have a flasher mode? The 510 looks to be pretty much the same as the 527 without gps. Thanks for the input!

I just use my Humminbird 570 portable for Ice fishing, got it last year to replace the old one which sunk after the canoe flipped :wallbash: , but it works great for soft and hard water so far, and for the camera I use the Aqua Vu 740c Series which also works great, haven't had an issue with either thus far!

I use my Hummingbird 798 ci si unit on a utility box with battery and ice ducer and it works really good. I turn off the down and side imaging screens and use it with flasher mode or regular fishfinder mode depending on species. For Lakers the fishfinder mode is nice to see the history of what just happened like the streaks up and down... It also has GPS with navionics mapping which is helpful for finding and marking spots.

Since you bought the Lowrance Elite 4 you could buy the Lowrance Ice Pack PPP 18 for about $150 which comes with the carrying bag, ice transducer, battery, charger and a few tackle boxes that fit into the bag. It's really nice.

I think I am going to spend some money on a GPS, but how do you like the 597 Costa? was looking at it, but got the cheaper version instead lol... :dunno:

I am really happy with this unit. I am using it year around - from early spring to late fall in my boat, during winter in my ice pack. Unit is simple and easy to configure. GPS with Navionics is awesome. Strongly recommend it.