Anyone switched from 2 to 4 stroke?

Rembrandt100

I don't own an Etec, and I don't know that I'd buy one, but I do fish out of a boat that wears an Etec and for an unbiased opinion, I believe it to be about as quiet as any 4 stroke. I also know it uses very little oil, and isn't too hard on fuel. Saying all that I'd still buy a 4 stroke for my next motor. I'm not quite sure why your so angry about the whole Etec thing, I guess you had a bad experience?

did you buy your ETEC after seeing their super quality late night infomercial?

I know that's the mark of quality.

A good late night infomercial.

Add a gimmick like a "self winterizing" feature that lemmings can flock to.

Add a few more guides that'll use anything that someone will give them a free hat to use.

And what do you got?

An ETEC!!!!

Are they a good motor? Certainly, especially after the FICHT disaster (I'm not sure what was worse, the FICHT disaster, or the disaster that is Tracker Boats).

I know I use the slap chop my wife bought on a daily basis. Just look at those nutz.

All the E tec is is a glorified Ficht..I bought a new in the box 115 in 08 biggest Pos ever..there's twin 200 ho on the one work boat..and a 150 on the other ..and a 250 on the bosses brothers boat ..on it's third power head ..so ya speak from a lil experience ..I had plugs go in less than 80 hrs ..then the engine would not shut off with key or tether..sensor went 18 miles off shore ...trim unit caught fire ..could go on....the local marina only sells evinrude and he's got 3 full time mechanics..and just what kind of two stroke SIPS oil uses no oil ..what do you figure provides lube..it's the lifeline of the engine ..says all the E tec power heads in cardboard boxes under benches.

In Hamilton, at Inland Waters, which is where the vast majority of the Lake Ontario/St Lawrence Canadian Coast Guard boats rest, they are 100% Yamaha driven.

I know this because I lost my top Yamaha mechanic who worked at Halton Marine.

He is now employed by Coast Guard Canada to maintain their fleet of Yamaha motors.

In Hamilton, at Inland Waters, which is where the vast majority of the Lake Ontario/St Lawrence Canadian Coast Guard boats rest, they are 100% Yamaha driven.

He is now employed by Coast Guard Canada to maintain their fleet of Yamaha motors.

Funny, my buddy is a mechanic for the Coast Guard, he was the one that had the enjoyment of re-rigging all those boats! Nothing but headaches with the E-Tecs, especially when they tried to warranty all the blown powerheads. They finally told Evinrude to shove it and went to Yamaha.

Not angry at all ..and no I don't work for any manufacture ..I make my living contracting on islands for the rich ..so I really put faith on the workboat to be dependable ..which these products are not..they talk about them like there superior ..there nothing more than old tech choked up with emissions crap to try and keep the old 2 stroke alive ..self winterizing lol..do you think that motor fogs itself properly in 45 seconds ? Lazy way out for simple minds

So the Ontario government purchased Japanese outboards where E-TEC motors are built in North America and owned by a Canadian company, BPR.... Bombadier Recreational Products....Now I'm angry.

BTW I have owned several other outboards and all have been very good to me, but this E-TEC is the best so far. Quietest, strong hole shot, great on gas and really sips oil. Saved over 1K on the purchase and a FIVE YEAR full Warranty. No other manufacture came close to that deal.

Edited by Mister G

So the Ontario government purchased Japanese outboards where E-TEC motors are built in North America and owned by a Canadian company, BPR.... Bombadier Recreational Products....Now I'm angry.

Yep. You are correct. When you put the hours on your motors like the Coast Guard does, it is important to have working motors...These guys are not a "few times a month" fisherman.

Sorry for your anger.

BTW I have owned several other outboards and all have been very good to me, but this E-TEC is the best so far. Quietest, strong hole shot, great on gas and really sips oil. Saved over 1K on the purchase and a FIVE YEAR full Warranty. No other manufacture came close to that deal.

The Ontario government purchased Japanese outboards because the North Americans built E-Tecs were garbage. Evinrude wouldn't warranty any of the blown powerheads basically told them to stick it.. Seeing that you're so angry, would you rather the government just piss money away on the E-Tec or save the tax payer $$$ running the Yamahas?

I researched this to death before getting mine (an etec 115). My impression was that BRP had a big issue with the larger motors (150 and above) in their first few years. They apparently rectified it on new releases.

I went with etec for a bunch of reasons, but one of them main ones was nearby access to a dealer. If a Suzuki dealer was nearby I would have gone with that. Same with Yamaha.