Mid Week Carp - May 29 to 31

ccmtcanada

Bly and I decided to compile a few fishing trips before posting a report...instead of a summary every single night we go out. We usually get home around 11pm, and I'm too tired to write a report...so here it goes...a 3 day summary, from May 29th til the 31st

Tuesday May 29th

We headed to our usual spot, and got there at about 830. After mixing up our bait at the waterfront, we cast out lines out. Lots of carp jumping out of the water...we had high hopes! The action turned out to be pretty slow. A few line bumps here and there, but no takers for a while. It was a beautiful night out, so we were enjoying the weather and chatting about anything and everything...esp the Lakair G2G coming up! We cant wait for that. Anyhow, at around 930, I noticed that my left hand was itchy...something had just bitten me. I figured it was just a mosquito bite...until I looked down and saw how swollen my hand was getting!! It actually was worse the next day...wonder what it was???

gallery_60_23_8692.jpg

Anyhow, the time was approaching 10:15 and we both reeled in, checked our spring feeders and cast back out while announcing/threatening to the carp that this was our "LAST CAST...LAST CHANCE FOR SOME FREE FOOD!!!".

Wouldn't you know it, bly says "Fish On!" and she lands this 33.5", 18 pound fishy!

gallery_60_23_5802.jpg

I'm beginning to think that it my day to be skunked. She says to leave my line in the water...she begins to pack our stuff up and put it in the car, when suddenly, my line gets pulled...and I tell her not to pack the net away yet!! Here's mine for the night...a 32", 14.5 pound one.

gallery_60_23_28193.jpg

Wednesday May 30th

We head back to our spot once again and have our lines in the water by 845. This night was slow ALL around...a few jumping carp, even fewer line bumps. The only consolation was that it was once again a great night weather-wise. As I was reeling in one time, I hit a snag...ended up losing one of my wire feeders! A little while later, I have a fish on, but my leader broke...ACK! That's a first for me fighting these guys. As it ended up, we were skunked...oh well, there always tomorrow night!

Thursday May 31st

Once again...after putting our little one to bed, we arrived at our spot at around 830 and put our lines in. It was really quiet there...the carp were not jumping, all we saw was the little wakes of small bait fish hitting the surface. Some other guys who were fishing the area come over and ask what we are targeting, so we tell them. (they were Pike guys). One of them says, cool...he's always wanted to catch a carp...since he sees them all the time. Wouldn't you know it, just as he asks that, bly has one on. He tells his buddy he's staying a bit to watch this. After a quick fight, she lands this little one....a 28" 10 pounder.

gallery_60_23_62184.jpg

The guys asks what that feeder is, so bly takes the time to explain about hair rigs and wire feeders, and that concoction we put on the feeder. They are really friendly guys and thank us for taking the time to explain what we are doing.

The rest of the night was really slow...no line bumps, no jumping carp...nothing! We decide to try announcing our "Last Cast" again. At 1015, our lines go back in the water and we sit and wait. Nothing was going on, so at 1030, she tells me to hold her rod as well as mine and she begins once again to clean up our area. Suddenly I have a fish on my line...I tell her to come quick and reel hers in, but it was too late. My fish bolted straight into her line and they were crossed. I'm trying to pull in the fish...and she's trying to match my speed so that we aren't too tangled up...or that her line is tangled in mine and I can no longer reel in. Suddenly, my line goes completely slack...I think I lost the fish and my feeder. Bly says...I HAVE YOUR FISH...HOLD ON!!! I keep on reeling again trying to match her retrieve, then suddenly, her line is free and I feel the tug of the fish on my line again. After a few minutes, I land this nice fat female...small, but fat! This one measured 28" and weighed in at just over 13 pounds.

gallery_60_23_22737.jpg

So, that's our mid week summary...we were hoping to break our PBs, but no matter what the size, they are fun to bring in. Looking forward to more outings...carp fishing is a great way to sit and relax...fish...and land stuff larger than a 10" bullhead!! LOL.

nice report and fish Cliff! u really been at em the past 2 weeks, keep it up

oh btw who looks after ur daughter?

You see...she sleeps really well...and hardly ever wakes up....so we sneak out....JOKING!!!

After our 5 year old is in bed, our 15 year old holds the fort down at home. We fish only 10-15 minutes from home, so if she calls, we can be home fast. It's great having a "built-in, live-in" babysitter...haha.

Thanks UA...Carp are fun...we dont dive in the water after our rods...so it's not quite as exciting as your excursions though!!! LOL :lol:

Excellent Report Cliff and some nice carp. :thumbsup_anim: If you keep up this pace, I see you both landing a Carp over 35" very soon. Right now Bly has the longest Carp at 35" and you are right behind at 34.5". This is turning into an interesting and fun little competition, between you two. IMO either you or bly will have the longest Carp in the 2007 OFC Tournament and maybe even one of the longest eyes as well, based on some of the eye reports i've seen from you and bly several months ago. Keep these awsome reports coming. :)

FOTB

:Gonefishing:

IMO either you or bly will have the longest Carp in the 2007 OFC Tournament

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but there are a few veteran Carp anglers out there, who have a better chance! Guys like DSN, Photoz, MJL, Wolfville and Victor just to name a few! Those are guys I look up to for Carp...they have the experience, the equipment and probably most important...the locations!!! LOL. :lol:

Edited by ccmtcanada

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but there are a few veteran Carp anglers out there, who have a better chance! Guys like DSN, Photoz and Wolfville just to name a few! Those are guys I look up to for Carp...they have the experience, the equipment and probably most important...the locations!!! LOL. :lol:

umm URBANANGLER! haha, joking

umm URBANANGLER! haha, joking

LOL...I knew I'd forget someone....anyone willing to strip down to their boxers to swim and retrieve their fishing rod is pretty dedicated....either that or broke and cant afford a new rod...haha :whistling::w00t:

Nice report. I fish as much time as you have this week or even more, but nothing to report. So.... I'm looking up to you for the skills...and location ;-)

Those nice shiny equipments only make you more embarassed when you skunk and the guy next to you with a 6' rod hauling fish all the time. But when you do hook into the 30 pounder, you'll wish to have proper equipment to get the fish in.

I tend to talk too much when carp is the topic. I need a therapy....a 30 pounder will do ;-)

Keep the reports coming and thanks for sharing.

Randy

Many years ago I went head first and fuly clothed into the Otonobee to get my $200 gear after the carp took off with it. Now MJL lends me his baitrunner with the switch that I usually forget to switch on. It's fun.

As usual, a well put together report . . . AND good fish shots. it takes a lot more skill to handle a carp in close quarters, in the dark, than in open water!! I'm back to 'normal' again . . . nearly 4 hours at Etobicoke Creek this mornin', not a bump . . . . scooted down to Hamilton . . . . sat for another 3 hours, and watched countless carp going through their spawning rituals . . . no use even going there for at least another week! I'm goin' back up to the Kawarthas tomorrow, for one last hurrah . . . hope to hit the lake at about 04:30 for some (almost) night fishin.' Then it looks like I'll be embarking on a health related sabatical for a couple months. I don't know how much this will affect my mobility yet, I MIGHT feel like the occasional weekend shot at the carp . . . but this has been a great week . . . already went through a third of a (40 kilo) bag of corn & 2 pails (20 pounds each) of 'chum,' so these carp should be puttin' on some weight!

Great report and pics...You've certainly got passion for the sport. In time, you'll buy all the bells and whistles...It's inevitable.

I tend to talk too much when carp is the topic. I need a therapy....a 30 pounder will do ;-)

Randy

What kind of therapy is that?! That's like giving the heroin addict a bigger dosage of the drug...We need to cut you off completely from carp fishing - Cold turkey...I get first dibs on your Aero GTE-B. If anything I blame Victor for your addiction.

Amazing report cliff! i've always enjoyed ur reports especially during class time :D It's pretty cool how you & bly landed that fish 'together'. Luckily it wasn't a huge one... or else we probably won't see one of you two on OFC anymore (who loses the fight to claim the PB haha).

catching fish 2 out of 3 outing is really good ... besides the 2nd day wasn't really a skunk anyways lol ... looking back at my "fishing log" i get skunked 2 out of 3 times LOL! I still have a long way to go before i can be named as one of the "veteran carpers" ...

What kind of therapy is that?! That's like giving the heroin addict a bigger dosage of the drug...We need to cut you off completely from carp fishing - Cold turkey...I get first dibs on your Aero GTE-B. If anything I blame Victor for your addiction.

if anything, i blame MJL for my addiction. don't forget who's the one that made you want to visit those cute little duckies.

Ccmt...

So you've mastered Walleye, Pike, Steelhead and now carp - what's the next species?? LOL

If anyone could achieve the quest I set myself this year (of catching as many of Ontario's fish species in a year) it is you, and they wouldn't be the tiddlers I catch!

I think it is safe to say that everyone on this board looks up to you and what you have achieved in the last year in fishing.... just amazing. You're a real inspiration. Looking forward to the next report - maybe a daylight one... to do those great fish justice in the pics?

Cheers

Great report and pics...You've certainly got passion for the sport. In time, you'll buy all the bells and whistles...It's inevitable.

If I die of carping OD, I die a happy man. And the GTE-B goes down with me, you can have the Okuma ;-)

Amazing report cliff! i've always enjoyed ur reports especially during class time :D It's pretty cool how you & bly landed that fish 'together'. Luckily it wasn't a huge one... or else we probably won't see one of you two on OFC anymore (who loses the fight to claim the PB haha).

catching fish 2 out of 3 outing is really good ... besides the 2nd day wasn't really a skunk anyways lol ... looking back at my "fishing log" i get skunked 2 out of 3 times LOL! I still have a long way to go before i can be named as one of the "veteran carpers" ...

if anything, i blame MJL for my addiction. don't forget who's the one that made you want to visit those cute little duckies.

You two better write a detailed report after your trip tomorrow, and say hi for me to that tree mallard, tell her I will go see her next week. Ask her to keep watch the carp and keep them there.

Well done cliff & carol.. :clapping: ...well you 2 have sure been logging in those hours at the ole-fishin-hole...lol..lol. and yes cliff you are right i dont think they can get any uglier, keep up the great fishing ....waiting for your next report....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: