8" finbor 3 with 18volt cordless video

misfish

First ice is here and I really wanted to see what the difference would be between the 8" and 6" inch finbor 3 . As many know,the 6" fell out the back of my truck last weekend with a new improved attachment to boot,so this is just the 8". I can say right off the hope,the 8" dose work the drill a bit more, but Im happy with it. I had already cut about 5 holes before doing the video. Once Im out on more ice surface,I want to see how many I can cut with one battery.

Cuts pretty sweet if you ask me.

Edited by Brian B

I used my 18V Makita last year with no problems. Even through two feet of ice. Not black ice mind you but, plenty of friction nontheless.

I was more worried about what that torque would do to the drill so I really babied it through the day. I never went straight through in one go. I stopped and cleared the hole frequently.

I also kept all the batteries in a small insulated cooler bag with a hot water bottle to keep them warm through the day. I also put the battery in use back in the cooler bag when I was done drilling.

If anything went south, one bolt unscrewed and I could put the handle back on(not needed yet but, good to have as a backup).

Brian, Lebaron's has 15% off their regular price of $90.94 (the 6") for members until Christmas.

Cheers,

Mark

Depends on the drills, I had a 18v milwaukee that would cut with 6" no problem but when I switched to the 8", it would struggle alot. Then I switched to the the fuel brushless version and that one did the job no problem. I even have videos of both working if someone wants to see. The 8" with the fuel went through about 3ft of ice no problem.

Thanks Kevin.

Have to look at the price of those drills. Might just up grade.

Any issues with those batteries in the cold ?

It certainly convinced MJL to upgrade :D

Last year was my first season with this setup. I used it probably 10-15 days on the hardwater. Never once did I have an issue with the batteries. I did try to baby the batteries by removing it and placing it in my jacket or in the hut though. There were a couple of days where I wanted to test the durability to see how it would last in the cold, so I left it out in the elements ~ -15C and the one battery lasted me all day still.

The battery that came with my drill was the XC4.0, which is supposed to be a very good battery.

278478.png

I'm getting a new drill for xmas just for my auger. What is that set up you have to mount the drill, Kevin? How many holes will that do?

I need some sort of rig to mount the drill to the auger, whats the best rig?

S.

I purchased the Clam conversion kit drill plate.

9497_auger_drill_plate_1_.jpg

It is available for roughly $60-80 I think. I believe Brian there has his own home made adapter that is working happily for him. I do prefer this plate though because I have the leverage of both my hands to stabilize the whole thing while it drills downwards and all that torque is controlled by your two hands versus your wrist that is holding the drill.

If you want to go that route of Brian's, Normark sells the drill adapter for about $10. But be careful with this one, it doesn't have that plate that Brian's does, which will catch the auger bit before it falls through the ice if it becomes removed from the chuck.

l30935.jpg?1408390866

I might have a video of me drilling a bunch of holes. I'll have to see later tonight. In 1-1.5ft of ice, with the FUEL drill and 6" auger, I recall it being over 25 holes. With the same drill, but 8" auger, I believe it was over 15 holes.

Last year on simcoe, while constantly moving, looking for lakers and whities, one battery lasted me all day. Albeit I'm a walker and don't have a sled, so perhaps you machine guys will be running and gunning and punching 40+ holes??!?! But then 2 of those XC4.0 batteries can handle that.

I'll try to view my videos tonight and see if I can confirm on the number of holes per drill/battery.

If you buy that clam adaptor, be sure to open the box and make sure all the parts are there. I read where many people that have ordered online and when the package arrives and they start to assemble it, pieces are missing or wrong size bolts /nuts.

I do like the idea of it. But I also like that 60-80 bucks in my pocket. :Gonefishing:

If you want to go that route of Brian's, Normark sells the drill adapter for about $10. But be careful with this one, it doesn't have that plate that Brian's does, which will catch the auger bit before it falls through the ice if it becomes removed from the chuck.

It's pretty easy to come up with some sort of plate----plywood would do-----but, as I see it, the advantage of the Clam is that it won't wrench on your wrist and try to take it out of your hand if it stalls. I find it better to let go right away to avoid wrist injury.

My Dewalt has a hand-tightened chuck that tends to loosen up with the auger running. I don't know if I can buy a key tightened chuck instead.

I'm getting a new drill for xmas just for my auger. What is that set up you have to mount the drill, Kevin? How many holes will that do?

I need some sort of rig to mount the drill to the auger, whats the best rig?

S.

You might want to go whole hog with this one rather than a drill just for that purpose plus a Clam adapter..

http://www.basspro.com/ION-Electric-Ice-Auger/product/1205290233/

If you buy that clam adaptor, be sure to open the box and make sure all the parts are there. I read where many people that have ordered online and when the package arrives and they start to assemble it, pieces are missing or wrong size bolts /nuts.

I do like the idea of it. But I also like that 60-80 bucks in my pocket. :Gonefishing:

Yes. I have heard of issues with the adapter plate. I don't think Clam always has the best quality but I am happy with this adapter plate. It functions well for me.

You might want to go whole hog with this one rather than a drill just for that purpose plus a Clam adapter..

http://www.basspro.com/ION-Electric-Ice-Auger/product/1205290233/

Well when the ice season is over, you can convert the drill back to being a drill and do some handy work around the house. Some people have found issues with not being able to remove the piece from where the chuck should be. I used my 12" auger extension onto the allen wrench to help me get leverage.

Another plus is, the drill setup weighs very little, under 10 pounds? Anyone can easily carry this setup with one hand.

Edited by kevin

yeah, the whole point of the new drill is because I need a new drill.....I can drill holes in ice by hand no problem at all, but the drill deal looks pretty slick. Especially for early ice, or when you need to move a lot to keep on top of fish.

S.

I guess my 19 volt cordless Jobmate wouldn't work? :wallbash: .That's my around the house drill lol.My better one makes money .That I don't want to use on the ice.Have the gas auger now,but looks like another angle for next year.Sure sounds sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When will it end ?????

It never ends!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA YUP NEVER ENDS.

Some people have found issues with not being able to remove the piece from where the chuck should be.

Lots of those reports. Anti seize is your friend.

Edited by Brian B