My ice fishing SMITTY creation

misfish

Been dabbling away on this for a month or so. Little bit here and there. No real rush to get it finished, but will be complete by the time first ice gets here.

I had a Polar express flip that the tarp got eaten by moles. So I trashed that and the metal frame and kept the boggan .

Here,s the start and at the 80% finished product so far. It will travel on snow and road.

Wheels lock up out of the way when traveling the snow and ice.

smitty005_zps1548dfcc.jpg

And can be locked in for road travel as not to wear the sliders.

smitty006_zpsbfb998a6.jpg

smitty008_zpsf26f1f91.jpg

At first I was going to make it in two pieces so it would be higher up off the snow,but rethought that and said to self,do you really want to be screwing around with that when it,s cold and windy? Just throw it in the back of the darn truck and be gone.LOL

smitty009_zps66dea60c.jpg

smitty010_zps6a6f8dc6.jpg

smitty2010_zpsb563d8a3.jpg

smitty2011_zpsd3e24789.jpg

I learned this way of hooking up the pull rope from my pop. The skis act like a spring and will allow the smitty to just hop up on rougher snow and act like a shock absorber.

smitty2014_zpsd00ea9e1.jpg

Enough clearance for pulling on the road.

smitty2015_zps516e4344.jpg

smitty2010_zpsb563d8a3.jpg

Fits just nice.

smitty2009_zps0b6bb4dc.jpg

My plan is to put a hard top cover on it,but rethinking that now. May just buy the boggan canvas cover. Still on the fence about this.

Thats it for now

To be continued,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by Brian B

I really like your tying on of the pull ropes Brian...I might steal that idea :angel: Your construction looks sound...I wish I had the same stuff handy to myself. Obviously I don't know how heavy it is just by looking at the pictures....but the pictures leave me with the feeling that you might have some problems with it tipping over on a windy day. Give us all another report after it gets out on the lake!

It,s 22 inches wide and there is 12 inches from the skis to the bottom of the boggan. Once the hub/tackle/auger are on it,it should be stable enough. I can see where you are coming from Steve. Modifying it will be easy. Wider might be a good thing to think about now before later. Thanks for you input.

Only 12 inches from the skis to the bottom of the tub...wow...in the pictures it looks like a lot more Brian. After getting a better height perspective I really don't think you will have a problem. Give it a workout this winter and tweak whatever your not happy with.

Regardless thx for sharing your build with us all. I really enjoy these Macgyver posts :)

Now that is pretty slick Brian! My only thought is the wheel size/clearance enough on messy roads to roll well.

Where did you get the aluminum angles? How thick is the material? It looks pretty beefy. I have been looking for stuff like that for a boat project I have in mind for the spring.

Now that is pretty slick Brian! My only thought is the wheel size/clearance enough on messy roads to roll well.

Where did you get the aluminum angles? How thick is the material? It looks pretty beefy. I have been looking for stuff like that for a boat project I have in mind for the spring.

Thanks Pete

If the roads are messy,then I will just use the sliders. The wheels are for bare pavement.

The angles are cut from a 12 inch piece 2"x2" x 1/4" aluminum angle. The tubing is 1" sq x 1/8" thick. All made from 1, 10' ft piece.

Like I said,got a good deal from a buddy. Nice to have connections for this kind of stuff.

If your looking for a deal on material Pete, let me know.

Edited by Brian B

Who's Smitty?

And how you pulling this beast around? Aren't you old? lol.

Good question Drew. I have searched, but cant seem to find anything that is related. History wise.

As for your other question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I,ll pm my answer. LOL :P:P:P

Hey Ry, 4 days off coming soon. Blast and cast? Looking at the graph. Looks like blast only. :wallbash:

Edited by Brian B