Hellgramites

Cowman

Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone has tried these before? I heard they're popular up in the Kawartha Lakes. Hellgramites (dobson flies)

How do they work, and is it only Bass that hit them? thanks alot!

:canadian::canadian:

I used to fish them quite a lot on the Otonabee. They were the bait of choice for bass. That was many many years ago. I seem to remember having read something lately about them being illegal as bait. You might want to check in to that.

When I was at the kawartha lakes last may for the walleye opener i was talking to a girl that worked in the bait shop in buckhorn, you can only purchase them in like july august, yea she warned me about not getting bit my them and before i go up to muskoka for labour day ill be sure to check into it

thanks a lot guys

great bait around here for bass and even catfish. just hold them right behind their head and hook them there. they have a way to teaching you to hold them correctly ;) it usually only takes one time of being careless. what a pinch for such a small critter.

Great for walleye and bass. Takes two to catch them. One guy spreads a sein at the bottom of a riffle the other overturns rocks above the sein with his feet and the little buggers will be swept into the sein. Best way to hook them is under the collar. They are pretty much unhurt and will live for a long time. They have a tendency to crawl under rocks or logs and will snag you up so it is best to keep them moving a bit to prevent snags. I have caught rock bass without hooking the fish. The hellgramite grabbing the fish with it's pincers and holding on.

Fish don't love hellgramites. They actually hate them. They hate them with such a white hot intensity that they try to kill everyone they see. That's why they are such great bait. Fish will hit them out of spite instead of hunger.

I use a Rebel Hellgramite for browns with great success. When I've used live ones for bass, I hook them through the tail like you would crayfish. Fish them like a live crayfish and don't be afraid to fish weeds. I haven't heard of them being illegal, but I can see why they would be.

Awesome guys, might grab a bunch when there in season if they're legal!, does anyone know of any bait shops that sell these in the lake muskoka area?? and its there jigs that resemble these also?

My understanding is that Rebel makes one that I woudl assume is still in production that is like a crankbait.

Otherwise, there are soft plastics available for jigging I have seen online.

Its not made anymore, but the company that Made Al's Goldfish made a metal spoon with red eyes in Helgrammite shape called Al's Helgy as I recall. I have one somewhere I am going to tie on this weekend...