New tackle store

creditmaster

You have two ways to look at it. You are 14 so you don't have a whole lot to lose! you won't get rich with the product you plan on carrying, but if you put the time in, you may be able to make it work by the time you finish school.

The other end of it (which is what I would tell my son) is you are 14. It is time to be a kid and enjoy life because it passes by quickly. You have plenty of time to have a career and not a lot of time being a kid. Enjoy it! I have 1 tackle shop I frequent. The owner has one of the premier shops in my area and it is 900 square feet and he does quite well. what most don't see is that for him to turn a profit, he and his wife have to work 10-15 hour days which doesn't leave a whole lot of time to fish.

You have to figure out what your priorities are. I would bet you could make more money working part time at your age than what your business will bring in within the next year so I would go work part time and save your money to try a start up after a few years.

Nope.. don't know you from "Peter" Landry... and sure wouldn't judge you from on OFC post. I'd have to fish with you first and see if I wanted to throw you out of the boat... lol

I had about three real teachers in highschool, the rest of the "teachers" were just there because they couldn't make it in the real world and liked summers off.

As for Creditmaster.. he has some serious drive and a dream... and the best school of hard knocks may very well be for him to try.. fall down and then dust himself off. I know that works pretty well...

Irishfield - I hope the "real teacher" comment wasn't a zinger aimed at me or other dedicated teachers. I am going to assume it wasn't.

Creditmaster - I like your commitment and work ethic. Your generation is so tech savvy - why not sell online if u r going to specialize in less product?

wow us young uns have somthing to learn ................... i never thought of that :worthy: great idea cause i get my stuff derectly from the china producer at next to nothing i can just sell online ???????!!!!!! thanks landry

Ha - fair enough IrishField.

I teach grade six and I am very dedicated. Not all teachers are dedicated but most are - just like any profession I suppose. I do not agree with the "rest can't make it in the real world" comment though but I am sure there are some who fit that description and who only do it for the summers off. I have I no respect for the few teachers I know that role that way. Actually, I have no respect for lazy people in general, regardless of their profession.

Happy fishing:)

I have a BSc, do I go to Service Ontario to sign up for a 90k/ year teaching gig? I can smoke dope, fish, do dick all? I'm in!

Creditmaster, it's you're drive that makes things happen. Success is there for he who puts the effort forth, the tackle store business may be tough, but you don't get rich doing the 9-5 Joe job, the entrepreneurial spirit is your guide

Creditmaster, I had the same dream as you did when I was younger (44 now).

In highschool I focused on business classes with the thought of owning a fishing store. I did what I could to learn about running a business, including taking a ton of accounting classes. I took co-op in grade 12 and worked in a sporting goods store that had a fishing section, which I helped turn around and made it one of the most profitable sections in the store.

At Humber, I studied Marketing, once again with the thought of running a tackle shop. In one of my classes I had to create a business plan, which was for a tackle shop. I selected a real life location (irronically there have been 2 tackles shops in the same location since then). I also did a case study on Shimano Canada and interviewed the Sales Manager.

After I finished college, I ended up working at a well known fishing retailer in Mississauga. While working there, I quickly figured out, running a bricks and motar tackle shop requires a lot time and energy, and it could take 20 years to build the business in order to make some good coin if you can make the business survive it that long. I have talked to many guys who ran traditional tackle shops and online retailers and its a tough go regardless. As well, you will find that you would be lucky to go fishing at all while running a tackle shop.

You are very lucky, you are young and you have the ears of many people here that had/have the same dream as you. Learn from our mistakes and successes. Even when you are old like us, don't regret trying (no matter how far along you got).

If I had to do it again, I would still take the same courses again, with a few changes but I would remain more focused on learning and create projects that I could have used to help me start up a tackle shop. In this day and age, you can make a lot of connections easily to help you with your dream. Take a few business classes while in highschool, and do a few projects based on opening a tackle shop, that way you can build on what you learn and reach that dream.

In today's current market, I personally would focus on a speciality or two, and concentrate on satisfiying the market as best as you can. By providing a few hard to get or custom items along with some staples you would have a great start.

Sorry for being long winded but I had to chime in.

I strongly suggest you to work @ a tackle store and talk to existing owners.

The business is not as good as you think, and I hate to burst your bubble, it's almost impossible to be a price leader in the industry with your current buying power. (Think LeBaron)

Distributors will also take a cut from you unless you can rack up a large order to go direct.

There are cost associated with running an online shop as well, unless you're an expert web page designer, you'll have to pay for that, you'll have to pay a yearly fee for the domain name, you'll need a place to store products that are awaiting shipping.

If you';re buying cheap stuff from China, word will get around quickly that you're selling cheap gear, and people won't shop there. It doesn't have to be the most expensive, but buy reputable, brand name, quality, proven gear. You start with a quality product, backed by good customer service, it will bring you return customers.

I would also STRONGLY recommend talking to Mike over at Fishheads Canada, hes the owner of the business, its an online retail business, his bread and butter is his roe sales. talk to him, and he'll give you an idea of what its like, hes a young guy as well, not 14 but i would put him around 30

thanks float amd fly i already have a reputablei and a website belive it or not my moms a graphic desiner so she made it for me........... how dose 2 dollars sound for a blue fox bell body # 3-#1 size spinner in gold bronze or silver sound? :santa::santa::santa:

and how much will you charge for shipping?

one of the reasons online sales are not thriving as much as our southern neighbour is because of our sky high shipping costs and low population density

You'll run into risks if you use a non-trackable shipping method especially when dealing with PP and CC