Gezzzz No Quinte Threads or Reports

Fish Farmer

Shows how great that fishing is. Hope to have a report next week, going for 4 days of dragging in dead fighting Walleye :D

I hope I catch a good fighting fish (Sheephead) :good::D Still can't talk Spiel into going, come on buddy, you may catch a record Drum :good::D

I'd rather catch the Sheephead over those over grown non fighting, non edible walleye .... LOL

But you know me, when it comes to fighting silver I prefer Steelhead hands down, every time!

I'd rather catch the Sheephead over those over grown non fighting, non edible walleye .... LOL

But you know me, when it comes to fighting silver I prefer Steelhead hands down, every time!

I have to agree with you, now I hear guys fishing with lead core and dipsys for Walleye, can you imagine :wallbash: . I'd have a better thrill cranking my boat on the trailer.

Can't think of eating any Walleye from there. There just picture fish, and some are not. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

I went the week after thanksgiving because I had a break in October from school this year. We caught one walleye over ten pounds and two around 20 inch's then the biggest drum i have ever caught, thing was almost 15 pounds and pulled the planer back like Kings do lol. I know they may be junk fish, but i will tell you the big ones are sure fun to catch ahahaha

Years ago when I just got into fishing, I remember a trip to Hay Bay with friends to target walleye. I hooked into what I thought was surely going to be the biggest walleye of our trip! When I brought it to the boat, I asked my friends; "What the heck is it?" They seemed very unimpressed and said it was a Sheepshead and to throw it back.

Way back then, I had never heard of them. Never saw one on a sportfish poster or read about 'em in the fishing magazines. Yet, here was this big, bruiser of a fish that reminded me of the saltwater fish I would catch in Florida, and it fought better than any fish I had evey caught in those early days,

To this day, I can't understand the exact reasons for the disrespect the poor ol' Sheepshead gets but I for one love 'em on the end of my line and and admire they way they look and fight.

its too bad folks are fishing deeper and deeper on quinte....

those fish sure are going to suffer....

folks using dipsy's without batting an eye.

others using divers off leadcore.....one person I read thought his leadcore was going 2' a colour....dropping a td11 off 5 colours of core and thought he was going 30' down....

a certain board owner suggesting that if you bring in your fish from the depths quick, and release it "right away", it'll magically fix itself and swim back down...how many folks reading that, not knowing any better, thinking he's correct?

whats worse is many of the guides, in order to get fish for their clients, are fishing deeper and deeper as well....

oh well....like most fisheries, as the quality of fishing suffers, the crowds will diminish...then the fishery will rebound, and go through the cycle again.

Well said Steve. I was out there last weekend and at the end of the day I stopped by the Picton harbor Inn for a bit of " dock talk " with the guys.

A full picnic table and 2 full coolers of giant walleye about to undergo filleting.

When I asked a couple of guys how the bite was, the response was " as long as you got your bait down below 40 ft. , you got bit "

Kind of sad to see so many big dead walleye. And that was a small tournament too.

You would think these guys would be a bit more responsible. But I guess they have the right to keep their limit

Yes they have their right to a limit and if that's all they got ... no harm no fowl !

That said, I know at least one Charter captain that is never running below 30 feet and has no issue keeping his clients happy!

I thought there would be a "LIKE" button by now on this forum.

Not sure about the "edible" comments? Consumption for numbers and size is greater off the Great Lakes than it is many, many remote and pristine Ontario back lakes. Remembering that, it's mercury which is tested in walleye, as "little" levels of other pollutants are actually found in their meat and, they live rather short lives in the GL's.

This is only what I recall though, from a telephone conversation with someone with "The Guide To Eating Ontario Sportfish."

Think overall the boat only had few with blown-out air bladders this year, most bigger eyes actually hitting higher up on the shallowest lines. Wonderbread and Barbie were the best by far. Those kept and consumed along with a few other keepers, tasted just fine.

Edited by Moosebunk